• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep! Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, and Oakland all weren't accepted into the NPSL, and they formed their own league. I created the Oakland United logo, and just got a text about my league logo being accepted as the official one.

Congrats!! And yeah, it's pretty cool that those Michigan clubs banded together and got some pretty historic Midwest Croatian-American clubs to join in.

Is it sad that the placeholder logo for such a low tier is better than half the MLS logos? Ok, embellishment, maybe 5 MLS logos, but at least that's being worked on.

I like both logos, but I'm torn on the colours. I made an Ann Arbor concept last year and chose Double Green and White but I think the Double Blue looks nicer and stays away from the NCAA teams.

And that's awesome Raysox!

Yeah, as much as I love double green and as fitting as it is for the ARBOR part of Ann Arbor, it's tough to avoid the connotations with our main sports interests. I agree that the best course of action is to avoid maize & blue and State green, which sky blue and orange would accomplish (although I hope that's just a 2014 relic of the Indiegogo campaign, since we're not NYC), but as a U-M alum I'm sorta glad we get to keep a Michigan blue as half of the double blue.

They're going to play at Pioneer High School (across the street from the Big House), and that school's colors are purple and white, so I wouldn't have minded them factoring that in. The other two major Ann Arbor high schools are Huron (green and yellow, too State for me, even though I graduated from there) and the recently created Skyline, who are sky blue and white. Would I want the team to be sky blue and purple? idk, worth a concept at least.

EDIT: Ok, I found out what the sky blue and orange was referencing in the Indiegogo campaign. The team's original concept was Ann Arbor City FC, and to further capitalize/rip-off from NYCFC they chose a similar color scheme:

15504452-large.jpg

Luckily this idea was scrapped in favor of something more original.

I'm almost 100% positive the name was switched because it similar to Detroit City FC. I don't know the story behind the color change though.

Released yesterday, the league logo (that I made)

ITrInavB.png

5 waves for the lakes and inaugural teams. The waves were suggested by GRFC's designer, the anchor was Ann Arbor's idea, and I put it all together on the crest I was pushing to use.

https://twitter.com/greatlakesPL

Very nice logo. It has asymmetry, but that asymmetry actually results in a good overall balance. Well done, raysox.

I'm a big fan of the asymmetry too, and the color palette captures (intentionally or not) just how damn cold those lakes are. It's funny: the anchor is the thing I'm least sure about, but maybe it'll attract some of the many hipsters we have in AA. You didn't happen to do any other logos for this league, did you raysox?

I'm almost 100% positive the name was switched because it similar to Detroit City FC. I don't know the story behind the color change though.

ah, good call. In my opinion, that's the primary challenge for AFCAA. Give the semi-pro soccer fans in AA a reason to cheer for a team other than the ones in Detroit.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

AFC Ann Arbor just released their inaugural schedule. From their website:

"AFC Ann Arbor will play 15 matches in its inaugural season. Eight games, including 4 at home, will be within the Great Lakes Premier League. Seven friendlies are scheduled with 4 at home and 3 on the road. In addition, AFC Ann Arbor will compete in the U.S. Amateur Cup beginning with the Region II Finals in Kansas in June."

AFCschedule.jpg

And in more branding news, here's a pic from a backer party 3 days ago:

10443545_942834139060764_560663235297947

The polos have a stripped-down tree in a circle logo that might work as an alt. They're also in I think the expected colors of the club, double blue. That scarf (shown in both its front and back view) might have been for the Indiegogo campaign, as it's got the placeholder logo and the outdated colors. They're actually still selling it in their shop though.

XCUfRbB.jpg

Released yesterday, the league logo (that I made)

ITrInavB.png

5 waves for the lakes and inaugural teams. The waves were suggested by GRFC's designer, the anchor was Ann Arbor's idea, and I put it all together on the crest I was pushing to use.

https://twitter.com/greatlakesPL

That's going to look fantastic as a sleeve patch.

Yep! Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, and Oakland all weren't accepted into the NPSL, and they formed their own league. I created the Oakland United logo, and just got a text about my league logo being accepted as the official one.

Congrats!! And yeah, it's pretty cool that those Michigan clubs banded together and got some pretty historic Midwest Croatian-American clubs to join in.

when I was first given details about the league, a team in Muskeegon was originally named. Milwaukee Bavarians and another club out of Chicago were also contracted in an attept to provide stability in the league.

Wait... Bavarians was contracted for the sake of stability? You'd think they'd be one of the more stable amateur programs in the country. They definitely seem active locally.

Bavarians pulled their NPSL team for the 2014 season to raise funds to update their grounds. They claimed to be only taking 1 year off, but are not on the 2015 NPSL schedule.

They've been around in some form since 1929 and I hope they make a great comeback. I emailed them a while back about updating their brand and they were having none of it. They're all about tradition and saw no worth in updating their brand/raising money with some marketable merch. I worry for them.

The GLPL website updated recently, so I thought I'd share some of the sports logo-related news.

From the main site:

placeholder_unveiled.png

Looks like the Croatian clubs (Croatian Eagles and RWB Adria) aren't updating their crests to try and fit in with the 3 new Michigan clubs.

Croatian Eagles do, though, want people to vote on a new scarf design, out of these options:

11044513_861965967159477_516165480123670

11044610_861965980492809_773508279907509

1011591_861965993826141_9812333617139416

10302748_861966007159473_805343261839231

And here's the entire GLPL inaugural schedule:

GraphicSchedule2015.png

There's also a cool infocard for each team on the GLPL website, but I'll let yall check those out for yourselves.

XCUfRbB.jpg

Again I must congratulate Raysox on another great logo. The league logo looks fantastic and, as Gothamite mentioned, will look fantastic as a jersey patch. I gotta ask, how'd you get roped into making these logos?

Also, it's a little hard to distinguish between the Croatian Eagles and RWB Adria since the logos look very similar. What is it with the pattern of Croatian soccer teams in America, specifically near the Great Lakes? Is it a large Croatian population in the area? I know that Toronto Metros-Croatia was a team back in the old NASL too, so it seems like there's a reason for it.

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Again I must congratulate Raysox on another great logo. The league logo looks fantastic and, as Gothamite mentioned, will look fantastic as a jersey patch. I gotta ask, how'd you get roped into making these logos?

Also, it's a little hard to distinguish between the Croatian Eagles and RWB Adria since the logos look very similar. What is it with the pattern of Croatian soccer teams in America, specifically near the Great Lakes? Is it a large Croatian population in the area? I know that Toronto Metros-Croatia was a team back in the old NASL too, so it seems like there's a reason for it.

I just saw this! But the Oakland owner found my concepts on tumblr, and then they started forming the new league. I actually coined the term Great Lakes Premier League. And in order to not bump an old thread with useless information, I heard connections to new team Milwaukee Torrent, whose logo looks like this. They could join next year.

gV3Vcn5J.jpeg

@mketorrent

Also Grand Rapids' fan grup's logo was released today.

CA0fIj1UYAAlGjh.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Milwaukee Bavarians to join in 2016, probably with the same outdated logo. They rejected the Torrent in favor of Bavarians. Heard a short list of teams they're trying to land in the future too, so they're probably not done for next season. Probably max around 10 for now.

I just saw this! But the Oakland owner found my concepts on tumblr, and then they started forming the new league. I actually coined the term Great Lakes Premier League.

Don't worry about it, I just saw this too. That's an interesting story to be certain. Consider that another push towards me getting a portfolio/tumblr up and running, as I'm definitely looking to get my designs out there for public viewing. Also, great to see the Bavarians willing to join the league, that'll give them some history and attention. Any idea if the league will contact you for further designs, or are they planning on adding existing teams?

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

Milwaukee Bavarians to join in 2016, probably with the same outdated logo. They rejected the Torrent in favor of Bavarians.

Confirmed? That's great. Love the historical clubs.

Yep! Here is the twitter announcement, pretty cool they got Croatian Eagles and Bavarians to join.

https://twitter.com/greatlakesPL/status/590188436553920514

Don't worry about it, I just saw this too. That's an interesting story to be certain. Consider that another push towards me getting a portfolio/tumblr up and running, as I'm definitely looking to get my designs out there for public viewing. Also, great to see the Bavarians willing to join the league, that'll give them some history and attention. Any idea if the league will contact you for further designs, or are they planning on adding existing teams?

Yeah getting themout there is the most important thing you can do. But I think someone emailed them in this thread to see if they wanted a new logo, so I don't have high hopes. They know who I am know, and if anyone asks then I'll make some logos! I made these for the facebook events for Oakland United home games

tumblr_nmyrbdDn361qe2dhgo1_1280.png

tumblr_nmyrbdDn361qe2dhgo5_1280.png

Archived