Fictional College Design

Magnus

So...

I've been working on a multifaceted project involving the creation of a fictional island country for a few years now. I have a basic design for the national flag, which is simple, and sports a unique emblem.

I'm at the stage in the project where I want to design parts of the many facets of the fictional country. One of them is the government-run post-secondary institution, which I have named the Star Island College, Trade School and University (SICTU).

I have a concept for the main logo, but I would like some input on it.

This is the flag of the fictional country.

flag%20of%20rsi_zpsuxnxo2ll.png

This is my proposal for SICTU.

STAR%20ISLAND%20COLLEGE%20TRADES%20SCHOO

The five stars in the emblem is too much for me, and the 10 stars around the school banner is WAY too much. I would just do one big star with the school banner over top. Also, make sure the SICTU lettering is centered in the banner.

As far as the slogans, the "Find My Potential" makes me cringe. If you have to explain it like that, it's too convoluted.

Getting better. Main logo looks better. I would maybe give the star in the main logo the same grey outlines as the banner has, so that it keeps the connection to the flag without looking like it's ripped directly from it. SICTU still doesn't quite look centered in the banner. The one in the roundel is kind of unnecessary as is; if the circle was thicker and the name of the school was spelled out in the circle, that would give it more purpose.

I should have been more clear about the slogan. It's the "SICTU (SEEKED YOU)" part that makes me cringe. It's a bad play on words, especially because one would look at SICTU and instinctively want to pronounce it "SICK-too," not "SEEKED-you."

Haha. The whole "seeked you" thing came about because I wanted to come up with a clever acronym applicable to the project, but I understand where you are coming from. I actually think the slogan will be "Shine Like A Star". The "I seeked you" bit is more something that I pictured an actor playing a student would say in a promotional commercial. But since, as you said, the acronym looks like it reads "sick, too", I think the main slogan will stay "Shine like a star".

for someone from Sudbury, I'm surprised you used College and University in the same name. Not sure if it is dead set on that name - I understand theres a clever acronym to it - but I think that is taking away from the logo. I understand it's a fictional country so Canadian style school names aren't necessarily apparent but it's a bit of a mouthful.

I do really like the use of the 8 point compass star (or whatever it is, I used it on a few flags for my imaginary country) and I think if you maybe used the letters in a compass form, it could look unique

Like this, with the U in the middle.

S
C u T
I

for someone from Sudbury, I'm surprised you used College and University in the same name. Not sure if it is dead set on that name - I understand theres a clever acronym to it - but I think that is taking away from the logo. I understand it's a fictional country so Canadian style school names aren't necessarily apparent but it's a bit of a mouthful.

I do really like the use of the 8 point compass star (or whatever it is, I used it on a few flags for my imaginary country) and I think if you maybe used the letters in a compass form, it could look unique

Like this, with the U in the middle.

S

C u T

I

Yes, I'm quite aware that in Canada, college and university have different styles of teaching, as do trade schools. This fictional institution is meant to be a combination of all three styles; that is, it is three separate schools under one banner.

As to your suggestion about the lettering, I will make an attempt at it.

--

Here's my attempt. i don't know if I like it.

sictu%20star_zpsucarg3x4.png

Archived