One Year Uniforms

ltjets21

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that this is kind of a subtle thing, but I think it still works here.

John Wall's rookie year was the first and only year the blue/gold/black Wizards wore v-neck jerseys. The very next year, they overhauled their uniforms to their current red/white/navy look.

wallhurt.jpg?w=320

I'm not sure necklines and trim changes are the intent of this thread. If we are including granular details, than most of the toilet-bowl collars in the NFL lasted a year.

In the NBA, at least, what I posted rarely happens. With as "small" (shorts, usually no sleeves, no team-wide headgear, etc.) as an NBA uniform is compared to uniforms of other sports, I would say a change in jersey neckline is pretty significant. And off the top of my head, I cannot think of any other NBA team who has changed neckline one year before completely overhauling its color and identity.

It seems like the 76ers had fun doing this in the 70s

1976-1977 uniforms with Sixers in all caps block font

bWjR0Ed.jpg

1977-1978 with Sixers in proper case

HzW1l5Y.jpg

The sixers website says in 1978 "The NBA begins to regulate uniform changes more closely" so no more fun 1 year changes.

In 1996 the Eagles switched to the midnight green look, the white jerseys had green and black stripes on the sleeves for just one season, 1997 it would have the eagle head and black cuff stripe like the green jersey.

1274032.jpg

I know that this is kind of a subtle thing, but I think it still works here.

John Wall's rookie year was the first and only year the blue/gold/black Wizards wore v-neck jerseys. The very next year, they overhauled their uniforms to their current red/white/navy look.

wallhurt.jpg?w=320

I'm not sure necklines and trim changes are the intent of this thread. If we are including granular details, than most of the toilet-bowl collars in the NFL lasted a year.

In the NBA, at least, what I posted rarely happens. With as "small" (shorts, usually no sleeves, no team-wide headgear, etc.) as an NBA uniform is compared to uniforms of other sports, I would say a change in jersey neckline is pretty significant. And off the top of my head, I cannot think of any other NBA team who has changed neckline one year before completely overhauling its color and identity.

I don't think it's significant, but that's just my opinion. There isn't going to ever be a 50-page thread on this board talking about an NBA team changing necklines. Most people (even on this board) wouldn't even notice.

In any case, those v-necks are technically one-year uniforms, so you are correct.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

In regards to the 1980 Cincinnati Bengals the only year of their original unis (1968-80) they had the TV numerals before overhauling their look.

$_35.JPG

The Cincinnati Bengals only season circa 1998 with sewn on twill numerals manufactured by Champion. In previous years with the Champion apparel company it was screen printed. Definitely one of my favorite NFL looks

38d569ee84bde6531e8867714a5be13f9b5b7294

Also, the 1997 Baltimore Ravens only season with the black pants with the double white stripes with a purple stripe in the middle (manufactured by Starter). The only time they wore the black pants was on the road (the previous inaugural year they wore black pants for home and away games).

4260-942910Fr.jpg

Giants only wore this uniform for the 75 season:

giants-sd-11_1_75.jpg

So wait, did they take the split-letters from the Toronto Blue Jays? Or vice versa? The similarities between NYC and Toronto never cease to amaze

2004 Blue Jays' grey caps.

My one shame about MVP Baseball 2005, I can only ever play with the classic unis.

Quoted for a great game
"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Islanders only wore this jersey template with their traditional logo for one year.

x00083_9.jpg?w=315&h=512

This team has changed jerseys twice, and gone back to their traditional jersey template each time.

They were worn for two seasons, they brought em in the year the fisherman's were due to the backlash from the fisherman. Pretty much wore these for the end of 96/97 and the 97/98 season.

In regards to the 1980 Cincinnati Bengals the only year of their original unis (1968-80) they had the TV numerals before overhauling their look.

$_35.JPG

The Cincinnati Bengals only season circa 1998 with sewn on twill numerals manufactured by Champion. In previous years with the Champion apparel company it was screen printed. Definitely one of my favorite NFL looks

1980 was also notable for the Bengals because that was the only year that helmet used a black facemask.

and in 1998 for some reason the team wore pants with striping that resembled what the team wore 1981-1996. In 1997 when they first tweaked the uniforms the pants stripes looked like the ones that would be worn with that set until 2003.

brett_favre_1998_09_20.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

RSCN9344.JPG

This year didn't even last 1 year. California Seals became the Oakland Seals just 2 months into their first season in 1967. The logo changed from a C to an O.

a_560x375.jpg

Last year of the Americans franchise after changing city name from New York to Brooklyn. They didn't actually move though. Still played at MSG.

74-75Home.jpg

In 1974, the Penguins had matching home and road jerseys in this style. The white jersey changed the next season but the dark stayed the same.

white+pants.JPG06.whalers.flyers.jpg

And all these 1 year pants...

$_35.JPG

1980 was also notable for the Bengals because that was the only year that helmet used a black facemask.

and in 1998 for some reason the team wore pants with striping that resembled what the team wore 1981-1996. In 1997 when they first tweaked the uniforms the pants stripes looked like the ones that would be worn with that set until 2003.

brett_favre_1998_09_20.jpg

1980 also had a wider pants stripe.

Also, in 1998, I believe that there were some players wearing the new pants, and some wearing the old. I haven't found any photos, I just remember wondering what the heck was going on when it happened, and my friends wondering what the heck was wrong with me because I cared...

Here's one that gets a lot of love in the concepts page

one_efrancis04.jpg

It was only worn in 1946-47

And these were only worn for the inaugural season, 1926-27

BabeDyeChicago.jpg

The black one got a lot more years of use.

And the Pittsburgh Penguins jersey that everyone forgets

67-68PITTSedited-Y.jpg

Worn in only 1967-68, thrown in a garbage bag, and found mostly destroyed by mildew in a hallway of the Civic Arena a few years later.

When the Penguins wore their baby blue throwbacks for the first Winter Classic, every publication referred to it as their first jerseys, forgetting these.

I'm surprised to realize that these were only worn for one season as well, 1967-68. They had white shoulders after that.

source_788_102272.jpg

If we could go back in time, I think the Penguins realized how much the first uniforms should have included the logo, and then made the right move. Back in those days, outdated uniforms were indeed discarded if no other uses could be found for them.

Archived