Hardest City for Fictional Concept Leagues

macalesterscots

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Houston you have the Rockets, Astros, the Texans, former Oilers and Aeros but can be tricky if you don't want to fall on the Nasa/Space or oil theme.

I would argue that that is plenty as one is futuristic and the other is older/traditional. The spectrum is pretty large there.

You could also include the city's history in the railroad industry, agriculture/cattle, massive medical center and modern day global corporate/energy power. Houston is actually pretty diverse for something like this relative to other cities.

Anybody else having trouble with these cities/locations?:

- Barcelona

- Frankfurt

- London

- Amsterdam

- Edinburgh

- Dusseldorf

- Berlin

- Hamburg

- Cologne

- Paris

- Milan

- Rome

- Stockholm

- Austin

- Orlando

- Jacksonville, FL

- Tampa Bay

- Oklahoma City

- Omaha

- Chicago

- Detroit

- Windsor, ON

- Minneapolis/St Paul

- San Antonio

- Mexico City

- Carolina/Charlotte/Raleigh-Durham

- Albuquerque

- Boise

- Montreal

- Quebec City

- Toronto

- Ottawa

- Hamilton

- Calgary

- Edmonton

- Vancouver

- Anaheim

- San Diego

- Sacramento

- Oakland, CA

- San Francisco, CA

- Cincinnati

- Cleveland

- Columbus

- Birmingham, AL

- Memphis, TN

Anybody else having trouble with these cities/locations?:

- Barcelona

- Frankfurt

- London

- Amsterdam

- Edinburgh

- Dusseldorf

- Berlin

- Hamburg

- Cologne

- Paris

- Milan

- Rome

- Stockholm

- Austin

- Orlando

- Jacksonville, FL

- Tampa Bay

- Oklahoma City

- Omaha

- Chicago

- Detroit

- Windsor, ON

- Minneapolis/St Paul

- San Antonio

- Mexico City

- Carolina/Charlotte/Raleigh-Durham

- Albuquerque

- Boise

- Montreal

- Quebec City

- Toronto

- Ottawa

- Hamilton

- Calgary

- Edmonton

- Vancouver

- Anaheim

- San Diego

- Sacramento

- Oakland, CA

- San Francisco, CA

- Cincinnati

- Cleveland

- Columbus

- Birmingham, AL

- Memphis, TN

Plus

Las Vegas

Reno

Santa Cruz

Santa Barbara

I mean right now, I'm making a Fictional Hockey League and I need help with Toronto, Boston and Detroit

Toronto Trapppers

Boston Minutemen

Detroit Ignition

(Just some ideas that came to me...)

I'm starting in the late 40's for the starting point.

Toronto isn't bad, I'm trying to avoid Revolutionary and deliberate Irish themes for Boston. I was planning either Crows or Wolves for Boston. Detroit, I want to not do anything Automotive-themed

BOS2.png.28748cfa2d8957954518a9f81f4cd4e8.pngboston_captains_jersey_sig_by_verasthebrujah-dbp5b0z.jpg

People were having problem with Akron?

Akron Airships

"Airships, blimps, dirigibles, and zeppelins have been manufactured at the Goodyear Airdock since World War II."

Akron Inventors

Nicknames include "Rubber City," "City of Invention

Akron Millers

During the Civil War, Ferdinand Schumacher supplied the Union Army with oats produced by his mill along the Ohio Canal.

Salt Lake City?

Salt Lake Founders
Salt Lake Saints

The city was founded in 1847 by Brigham Young, Isaac Morley, George Washington Bradley and numerous other Mormon followers

Salt Lake Blizzards

Salt Lake City has since developed a strong outdoor recreation tourist industry based primarily on skiing

Salt Lake Engineers
Salt Lake Miners

Historically known as the "Crossroads of the West" for its railroads, when nearby steel, mining and railroad operations provided a strong source of income
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• 2 weeks later...

Orlando, unless you're doing a league where Disney sponsors/owns them I guess. Everyone tries to do the space theme, but the Space Coast is 40+ minutes away. That just leaves you with something to do with Florida's climate...yawn. If you want to be distasteful then the Orlando Bullets could work

I could see orlando doing something like Spaniards or something to do with conquistadors

• 11 months later...

Am I the only person who has problems with coming up for a name for Chicago? I usually go with the mafia-related Enforcers, but in my most recent creation (a basketball league), I decided to give that name to San Francisco as an Alcatraz joke. I ended up going with Vultures, but any other suggestions would be nice. They're also the only team I haven't thought of a color scheme for yet.

53Ocz8U.png

Actually glad to see this bumped. I used to get stuck a lot on team names, but I've created a personal list of names with cities ranked that helps me.

I still get stuck on Birmingham, Cincinnati, and Nashville. The last two I don't usually use. 

8 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

Am I the only person who has problems with coming up for a name for Chicago? I usually go with the mafia-related Enforcers, but in my most recent creation (a basketball league), I decided to give that name to San Francisco as an Alcatraz joke. I ended up going with Vultures, but any other suggestions would be nice. They're also the only team I haven't thought of a color scheme for yet.

For Chicago you could do something based of the Windy City (Cyclones, Twisters, Tornadoes, Gales). Chicago Fire already exists, but you could probably get away with Chicago Dragons. Lincolns could also work. 

Of coure, there are generic names like Knights, Giants, etc. if you get stuck. 

Chicago Zephyrs would be my choice. It's a name for a breeze. The California Zephyr is a fairly famous train that runs between Chicago and San Francisco, so it references the importance of trains to Chicago's history. 

On 10/29/2016 at 1:58 PM, Cosmic said:

Chicago Zephyrs would be my choice. It's a name for a breeze. The California Zephyr is a fairly famous train that runs between Chicago and San Francisco, so it references the importance of trains to Chicago's history. 

s-l225.jpgwashington-zephyrs.jpg56937a_lg.jpeg

. . . which is not to say that the name can't be used again, particularly for a fictional league.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Is it even possible to name a Quebec City team without reviving old dead hockey names? 

Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory...

Philadelphia Eagles: NFL Champions in 1948, 1949, 1960, Super Bowl Champions in 2017-18. Philadelphia Phillies: World Series Champions in 1980 and 2008. Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Champions in 1966-67 and 1982-83. Philadelphia Flyers: Stanley Cup Champions in 1973-74, 1974-75

On 11/2/2016 at 5:03 PM, FlyEaglesFly76 said:

Is it even possible to name a Quebec City team without reviving old dead hockey names? 

Probably not. You could probably do something on the climate or generic to the province. I usually have trouble with Canadian/Canadien cities.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a personal sports league, and I'm struggling to find good names for my teams. I have a couple figured out (i.e. Florida Flamingos and Memphis Pharaohs; both of these names have been used by obscure or short-lived teams and I have good color schemes picked out), but some I don't have good names for. 

For example: I have a Colonial-theme to fall back on for Philadelphia, but that's used the 76ers. Ironically, I'm having trouble with Pittsburgh. If you leave out steel-related names, the only thing left is a generic name involving the rivers. Pittsburgh Alleghenies is a good name, but it's been used by the Pirates. 

My main issue is using too many animal team names, which I try to avoid. As stated above, I have the Florida Flamingos, but I want to name the LA team Mammoths after the tar pits and how big of a city LA is (I do know Mammoths were in Eurasia and Mastodons in North America but I feel Mammoths goes better for the team name). I also have animal ideas for Atlanta (either Firebirds or Kings will lion imagery), most-likely Chicago, San Francisco, Colorado, and possibly the Twin Cities. That's 7/16 of my teams, and other cities are subject to change. 

If anyone has any suggestions for the following cities, you would be greatly appreciated:

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Colorado

Twin Cities

Bay Area (San Francisco/Oakland)

Dallas

Vegas

I'm currently trying to develop the storyline for a basketball league I'm planning on doing, and I've been having problems with Toronto, LA, San Francisco, Cincinnati, Seattle, Chicago, and Dallas. I'm trying to avoid current NBA team names. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ExJworW.png

On 11/2/2016 at 5:03 PM, FlyEaglesFly76 said:

I like the sound of Quebecois.  Of course, it's the denonym for the province, but it has a good ring to it.

There's also Dons (Gifts), Citadelles, Stonewalls, Crowns, and Saints.

2 hours ago, ~Bear said:

I have a personal sports league, and I'm struggling to find good names for my teams. I have a couple figured out (i.e. Florida Flamingos and Memphis Pharaohs; both of these names have been used by obscure or short-lived teams and I have good color schemes picked out), but some I don't have good names for. 

For example: I have a Colonial-theme to fall back on for Philadelphia, but that's used the 76ers. Ironically, I'm having trouble with Pittsburgh. If you leave out steel-related names, the only thing left is a generic name involving the rivers. Pittsburgh Alleghenies is a good name, but it's been used by the Pirates. 

My main issue is using too many animal team names, which I try to avoid. As stated above, I have the Florida Flamingos, but I want to name the LA team Mammoths after the tar pits and how big of a city LA is (I do know Mammoths were in Eurasia and Mastodons in North America but I feel Mammoths goes better for the team name). I also have animal ideas for Atlanta (either Firebirds or Kings will lion imagery), most-likely Chicago, San Francisco, Colorado, and possibly the Twin Cities. That's 7/16 of my teams, and other cities are subject to change. 

If anyone has any suggestions for the following cities, you would be greatly appreciated:

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Colorado

Twin Cities

Bay Area (San Francisco/Oakland)

Dallas

Vegas

Philadelphia: Penns, Bells, Stallions (Rocky reference), Brothers, Kites, Keystones, Stones

Pittsburgh: Bridges, Gold, Pitts

Colorado: Centennials, Peaks, Snowcaps, Red Rocks, Eagles, Pilots, Aviators

Twin Cities: Rivers, Saints, Lakes, Mills, Millers

Bay Area: Gold, Oaks, Gates, Cablecars

Dallas: Lonestars, Outlaws, Colts, Peacemakers, Bolls

Vegas: Aces, Wild, Nuggets, Blackjacks, Sierras

spacer.png

spacer.png

@Silent Wind of Doom Thanks for those suggestions. I'm using either Colorado Snowcaps or Pinnacles. I also like the Borthers suggestion for Philadelphia. 

I might be able to make Keystones work as well. 

Vegas I think I'm going to do Jokers (I like Blackjacks though), Bay Area will be Sea Lions. Twin Cities will have an "ice" theme. 

I'm still stuck on:

Pittsburgh 

Dallas 

Archived