Hardest City for Fictional Concept Leagues

macalesterscots

3 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

@Silent Wind of Doom Thanks for those suggestions. I'm using either Colorado Snowcaps or Pinnacles. I also like the Borthers suggestion for Philadelphia. 

I might be able to make Keystones work as well. 

Vegas I think I'm going to do Jokers (I like Blackjacks though), Bay Area will be Sea Lions. Twin Cities will have an "ice" theme. 

I'm still stuck on:

Pittsburgh 

Dallas 

Jokers is good too.  By the time I got halfway down the list, I'd gotten pulled away several times and it had been hours, so I hurried a little.  I'm sure there were dozens other gambling/card names I missed.  I like Jokers.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dallas: Outlaws, Gunslingers, Bulls (Bull riding is cool down there right?)

Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory...

Philadelphia Eagles: NFL Champions in 1948, 1949, 1960, Super Bowl Champions in 2017-18. Philadelphia Phillies: World Series Champions in 1980 and 2008. Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Champions in 1966-67 and 1982-83. Philadelphia Flyers: Stanley Cup Champions in 1973-74, 1974-75

I like Triplets but if I decide to do Brothers for Philly and I'm going with "Twin Cities."

I thought about Toros for Dallas but that's similar to the Texas Longhorns. I also want to stay away from Outlaws or Bandits. 

I might do Keystones for Pittsburgh and maybe Armadillos for Dallas. 

Thanks everyone one though for your suggestions. 

3 hours ago, ~Bear said:

I like Triplets but if I decide to do Brothers for Philly and I'm going with "Twin Cities."

I thought about Toros for Dallas but that's similar to the Texas Longhorns. I also want to stay away from Outlaws or Bandits. 

I might do Keystones for Pittsburgh and maybe Armadillos for Dallas. 

Thanks everyone one though for your suggestions. 

Why not Kieth Stone?

On 3/3/2015 at 10:41 PM, seattlesonicsofsacramento said:

Orlando, unless you're doing a league where Disney sponsors/owns them I guess. Everyone tries to do the space theme, but the Space Coast is 40+ minutes away. That just leaves you with something to do with Florida's climate...yawn. If you want to be distasteful then the Orlando Bullets could work

If an Orlando Franchise were to be started today, I think you could get away with the name "Orlando Pulse" and rather than it coming off as distasteful over what happened in the Pulse Nightclub it could be seen as a way to honor the folks who lost their lives in that tragic event. Especially with the news today (or maybe it was yesterday) that the City of Orlando wants to buy the Nightclub and turn it into a Memorial site.

On 11/8/2016 at 11:14 AM, MC Buffalo said:

If an Orlando Franchise were to be started today, I think you could get away with the name "Orlando Pulse" and rather than it coming off as distasteful over what happened in the Pulse Nightclub it could be seen as a way to honor the folks who lost their lives in that tragic event. Especially with the news today (or maybe it was yesterday) that the City of Orlando wants to buy the Nightclub and turn it into a Memorial site.

Seeing this post again a couple days later made me think of something.  I've often gone with a sun-based nickname, but there's also the citrus industry, with the Citrus Bowl being right there.  The Orlando Squeeze sounds like it could work for basketball or football.

spacer.png

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Seeing this post again a couple days later made me think of something.  I've often gone with a sun-based nickname, but there's also the citrus industry, with the Citrus Bowl being right there.  The Orlando Squeeze sounds like it could work for basketball or football.

no.gif

On November 8, 2016 at 11:14 AM, MC Buffalo said:

I would be fine with the name, but I feel many (especially the family of the victims) would say that it would be taking advantage of a tragedy for marketing purposes. And also, the City of Orlando has been saying that they will make Pulse a memorial since July, but nothing has really happened. 

ExJworW.png

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Sorry to dig this back up but...

How about:

- If someone wanted to do a team in Dusseldorf with a name other than the Rhein Fire? Maybe something related to electronic music?

Not sure about a nickname, but I always thought these were an interesting part of the city

220px-Radschl%C3%A4ger_Kanaldeckel_in_D%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Düsseldorf's_cartwheeler

They could always go the route of Sirius/XM and name them Amp. GET AMP'D UP! Could be a crowd chant or something. I think that's horrible though.

Bet to go with just Wheelers. That can play off the image above and the long history of German made automobiles.

Dallas has enough Western themed teams as it is. I lived there in the 90s and to tell the truth, Fort Worth is more western oriented than Big D. 

San Antonio could be the Brigade or something military themed due to the many military bases there.

I agree with you on Boston and Philly and their historical roles. 

St. Louis could be the Clydesdales, as it is the home of Anheiser-Busch breweries. 

Orlando could be the Thrill, but I don't know how you could make a logo for that name, which is a nod to its many theme parks.

Cincinnati sits on the banks of the Ohio river, yet I'm not familiar with any team that's tried to use that in its branding.  "River Kings," or dusting off "Showboats" from the USFL is the best I could ever think up, though.

St. Louis?  Can't go wrong with Archers, Spirit, or Pioneers.  Also another one on which a river theme could be used, though in their case it has been tried ("Steamers," MISL).

nav-logo.png

On March 4, 2015 at 11:10 AM, Xist2inspire said:

Des Moines, Iowa (or just Iowa in general) has always given me major problems. "Energy" is used by their D-League team, "Hawkeyes" is used by their college (and "Hawks" is used by Atlanta), "Blackhawks" is used by Chicago, and finding a name that relates to the farming industry without sounding silly isn't easy at all.

For Salt Lake City I prefer to use "Swarm" (because Utah is known as the "Beehive" state). I love the name "Saints" for SLC, because of Utah's high Mormon population, but in an odd twist of fate, New Orleans uses that name.

St.paul

Utah/Salt Lake City: Saints, Angels, Seagulls (state bird), Stags, Storm, Blizzard, Grizzlies, Raptors, Swarm

Cincinnati: Silverbacks 

Mississippi: Mud Hens

Boston: Dragons, Beacons, Pilgrims

St. Louis: Spirits, Arches, Showboats

Columbus: Cannons

Portland: Pioneers, Thorns, Storm

Wichita: Wizards (Wizard of Oz reference)

Detroit: Drive

San Francisco: Gold, Rush, Prospectors, Fog

Oakland: Oaks, Acorns

San Diego: Seals, Sea Lions, Seagulls, Breakers, Sombreros

Richmond: Rebels, Renegades

Idaho/Boise: Gems, Bucks, Stags, Spuds

Albuquerque: Arrows, Arrowheads

Las Vegas: Aces, Blackjacks, Vipers

Orlando: Orange 

Colorado/Denver: Gold, Miners, Prospectors, Centennials

Vancouver: Kodiaks, Lumberjacks 

Archived