Redesigning my old High School - Soccer Kits!

derschwigg

Hey all!

I got really inspired by Connor Brandt's project over on Dribbble of redoing local high school logos. Coincidentally, he's doing a district where I grew up: Omaha, Nebraska.

I thought I'd take a crack at redoing my high school alma-mater - Millard South.

MillardSouth.png

I'll be designing football, basketball and baseball looks with this mark, as well as merch.

But for this first post, here's my redesigned mark.

iDr9Kc8.jpg

As always, C&C is encouraged and appreciated.

Cheers!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, the criticism I have is the Michigan State-style notches in your letters. I just don't think they work. I can't put my finger on why, but I just don't like them.

The rest of the logo is superb. Bravo to you, good man.

It's Baylor's font

JeKhnr9.png

Nice job derschwigg! The high school should consider your logo as their future mark, would make a great helmet/cap logo. There's a local area high school here that comes to mind when I see this, guess it's the fact they use a similar style M & their colors are red/white/blue. You can check theirs out in the link below.

http://www.txhshelmetproject.com/TexasHighSchools/B/BrownsvilleVeteransMemorial.htm

Glad I inspired you! This is a great start. Don't they use predominantly red right now? I really like the color change. That M monogram is a strong mark, and that's really all I think you need at the high school level. One minor thing that's bugging me is the star, I feel like it could be moved down and to the right just a little (unless you were trying to center it in the serif). Looking forward to the uniforms.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Nice job derschwigg! The high school should consider your logo as their future mark, would make a great helmet/cap logo. There's a local area high school here that comes to mind when I see this, guess it's the fact they use a similar style M & their colors are red/white/blue. You can check theirs out in the link below.

http://www.txhshelmetproject.com/TexasHighSchools/B/BrownsvilleVeteransMemorial.htm

That's almost uncanny! I can assure you it's a total coincidence, though :)

How about making the red and white stripes cover the entire right side of the logo

Shaw's right - that'd be too much. Thanks though!

Incredible for a updated high school logo! It is perfect!

But no secondary logo?

Thanks! But no worries, there will be a secondary. I'd like to do a tertiary, too, but only if a great idea presents itself.

It looks like you need some kind of outline for the white-on-white version of the logo. It just loses so much weight and powerfulness. I understand you're trying to "break the rules" of not adding that keyline to the logo, but I really feel like it can't support itself as white-on-white. The others do quite well though. They're beefy and fill that space, compared to the white version, the others stand out much better.

Glad I inspired you! This is a great start. Don't they use predominantly red right now? I really like the color change. That M monogram is a strong mark, and that's really all I think you need at the high school level. One minor thing that's bugging me is the star, I feel like it could be moved down and to the right just a little (unless you were trying to center it in the serif). Looking forward to the uniforms.

Thanks! I totally see where you're both coming from - CAB, you're right about the serif. But now that I'm looking at it, it looks like a mistake more than a conscious decision. So here's an adjusted version. I'm pretty satisfied in calling this mark finished.

MzJGGQU.jpg

And yeah, they have a really bright red as their primary color now. Almost TOO bright.

I'm glad to see this being so well-received! Thanks for the kind words, all!

I was able to put together a possible secondary - I aped a 'P' using a flag. Thoughts?

bKY8NK9.jpg

EDIT: I also put together a third "vintage" crest.

4TXn2fB.jpg

wow, great start, superb finish! love the final product (both primary and secondary logo (dance) )... not the biggest fan of vintage crest. I would like to see solid background... now it seems there's no background on the crest.

CgWPTYS.jpgaPH2PVF.jpg

I like the primary logo a lot. If you could reduce the thicknesses of the uppermost and middle red horizontal stripes to adapt them to the remaining (diagonal) red stripes, it would be perfect.

The "P"-flag is a nice idea and works really well.

I'm not so sure about the third vintage logo. I just think the M is overly stretched vertically.

Nice job!

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

whoa! I liked the P flag logo! I could see it as secondary logo but unless if you are doing it differently. Vintage logo is okay but need something to put much of loud noise on it, I dunno really.

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

Archived