MCM0313

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How are these not in here yet? :shocked:

larry-walker-rockies.jpg

Because those were throwforwards to 2027. They weren't 90's.

You'll all see in 12 years when this is how Major League teams dress for every game.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Muggsy Bogues wins this contest...

tumblr_mfa2pkRgpw1qmhiz7o1_500.jpg

Is he wearing pumps? That's gotta earn it some bonus points.

Yep! Man they were the MUST HAVE shoes when they came out. The kids now probably have no idea what they are.

I wore Reebok Kamizazes and Nike Air Forces on the court when I played in on the school team.

$_57.JPG

Now I'm tempted to scour eBay for a "new" pair.

Found these...in Redskins colors...but wrong size! So close.

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

87Redskins.png

larry-walker-rockies.jpg

You'll all see in 12 years when this is how Major League teams dress for every game.

Thankfully we have Adidas to bring us there.

EFC4692D-F569-47EB-A54E-038762A9ED85.jpg

Organic evolution and one exclusive contract with the MLB is all we need.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

larry-walker-rockies.jpg

Exactly. I don't see why people are posting TATC uniforms in this thread. Yes, they were worn in the 90s, but they weren't supposed to represent the 90s at all.

That would be like posting a pic of a team from this year wearing a 90s throwback uniform and calling it "the most 2010s uniform ever."

larry-walker-rockies.jpg

Exactly. I don't see why people are posting TATC uniforms in this thread. Yes, they were worn in the 90s, but they weren't supposed to represent the 90s at all.

That would be like posting a pic of a team from this year wearing a 90s throwback uniform and calling it "the most 2010s uniform ever."

But that's just the thing... they were supposed to represent the future, but they were a huge fail in terms of any real thought or imagination about what the future of sports uniforms would be. What's hilarious is they were "futuristic" uniforms that, a decade and a half later, look so stupid and actually dated that I think they're a great representation of horrible 90'd design.

What they obviously did was look around at the God awful design trends they were dealing with at the time, and just pushed them even more ridiculously forward, as though that garbage would actually last.

Whenever you see a cheap sci-fi film from the 80's they always have the future represented as some cheesy new wave punk day-glo silliness... because that was the 80's, and the thought was "well, this is obviously go on forever". The TATC uniforms were exactly like that... a great representation of bad 90's design because, no matter what the embarrassing concept was those uniforms were designed in the 90's.

I was tempted to the the sixers "hip-hop" style of unis and logos but even though they were unveiled in the 90's they're really more associated with the 00's

... "hip-hop" style? :therock:

"In the 1997–98 NBA season, the Sixers drastically changed their logo and colors in an effort to appeal to a more youthful, hip-hop oriented culture. The iconic 76 logo was dropped, and a new logo was introduced, featuring a bigger 76ers script, with a single star behind the number 7 and a streaking basketball below. More controversially, gold and black were introduced to the color scheme,along with red, white and blue."

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_76ers#Uniforms

"Do or do not, there is no try" -Yoda

I was tempted to the the sixers "hip-hop" style of unis and logos but even though they were unveiled in the 90's they're really more associated with the 00's

Eh, I would consider them more 90s than 00s, at least the original ones with the gold lettering. I consider all of those drastic identity changes revealed even as late in the 90s as around 96-97 (Pistons, Sixers, Wizards, Nets, etc.) to be very 90s because they captured that idea of a team witha very traditional look basically completely abandoning their traditional looks for zany ones. The last three teams I mentioned kept those looks well into the 00s, but they were created with spirit of 90s design.

Figered that this would be the best place to post these...so I was messing around casually in GIMP today, and ended up with these quick n' dirty color edits of the Pistons' 90's home (which reinforces my belief that the only thing horribly bad about the Pistons' 90's look was the stupid color change) and the Bucks' 90's alternate.

90s%20Pistons%20Remake.png

90s%20Bucks%20Remake.png

I think that one of the biggest issues that the 90's had (especially in the NBA) was teams tinkering with their color schemes too much, breaking from tradition in ridiculous/unnecessary ways.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Figered that this would be the best place to post these...so I was messing around casually in GIMP today, and ended up with these quick n' dirty color edits of the Pistons' 90's home (which reinforces my belief that the only thing horribly bad about the Pistons' 90's look was the stupid color change) and the Bucks' 90's alternate.

90s%20Pistons%20Remake.png

90s%20Bucks%20Remake.png

I think that one of the biggest issues that the 90's had (especially in the NBA) was teams tinkering with their color schemes too much, breaking from tradition in ridiculous/unnecessary ways.

Even though I like the Pistons' "red-and-blue-name-over-a-basketball" series of logos (especially the one they replaced with the horse's head), that getup looks really good. I actually don't remember that Bucks one all that well. Didn't they also briefly have a green alternate that followed the same template as the purple?

• 2 weeks later...

This logo is very 90s. It could use an update - a simple black outline around the letter would be an improvement. I think it's the shadow that makes it look like dated. And as always, fix the arcs.

ydl01hfj8hw4p1mbg1zd.png

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

This logo is very 90s. It could use an update - a simple black outline around the letter would be an improvement. I think it's the shadow that makes it look like dated. And as always, fix the arcs.

ydl01hfj8hw4p1mbg1zd.png

I love Wisky's logo. I don't even notice it looking 90s because it's become so iconic to me. I know it's not really that iconic as they've had several other (mostly similar) logos through their history, but...I don't know, it just seems like part of an institution. In a bigger way than it actually is.

• 2 weeks later...

For me there's nothing more 90s than both the Devil Rays and the Diamondbacks inaugural looks.

As a comparison, look at the Rockies and Marlins in 1993. For being 1991/93, those two teams were quite traditional believe it or not. Both teams had simple cap logos of a letter of two, traditional pinstripe white uniforms, even traditional (if not boring) fonts. All they did was go for original colors. The Marlins teal was quite bright and vibrant but beyond that (meant to represent a Miami Vice-like beach pastel color) the uniforms were very simple. The Rockies went with purple for somewhat obvious reasons but were (and oftentimes still are) quite subdued with the purple, using it as an accent clearly in second place to the black.

Now jumping ahead to 1995/98 for Arizona and Tampa Bay, those two teams decided to basically take every cliched 90's new uniform idea and throw them all against the wall just to see what sticks. Tampa Bay had no clue what their primary color was beyond black. The purple undershirts were quite something. The gradients still are a sight to behold. Also some forget how large and drastic the chest logos were. They seemingly went neck to belt.

Arizona, while many like the purple and teal color duo, basically just took both of the 93 expansion team colors and squeezed them together. The choice for the cream home unis is also a questionable decision for a team debuting in 1998, although it admittedly didn't look bad. Black drop shadows! The original white crown home caps! Purple logos and teal logos. Multiple color schemes, angles, and futuristic fonts were on both teams too.

Archived