tbs new logo

The SHOW

It was a little weird when TBS, a station deeply associated with Atlanta, hitched its wagon to reruns of Seinfeld and Friends, the two New Yorkiest shows that ever aired.

When Time Warner took over, they axed everything on the Turner stations that marked them as a product of the Deep South (which is why they were so quick to get rid of WCW, amongst other things). I think that was also around the time when TBS got an over the air broadcast affiliate in NYC.

It was AOL, not Time Warner, but otherwise you're dead on.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's a new logo so much as just the channel name set in its proprietary font.

I've seen many commercials with text set in that new font, and the smile logo is still clearly visible.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Yeah, they've used that font for promos and stuff since the fall. Slowly fitting it in with everything. But if that's the new logo, that's just it. I don't hate the font., but there isn't much character. No underline, period, nothing to make truly memorable. The half circle wasn't perfect, but it at least have the channel an indentifying symbol.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Couldn't stand the lopsided laces they slapped on the smile for their baseball coverage.

mlb-on-tbs.jpg

My mom always thought it looked like underpants.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

• 2 weeks later...

I remember "Turner Time". Shows started at :05 and :35 past the hour.

From wiki...

On June 29, 1981, TBS (as SuperStation WTBS) began to use an off-time scheduling format for its programming known as "Turner Time." While program offerings on other broadcast and basic cable channels generally began at the top and bottom (:00 and :30 minutes) of each hour, TBS decided to begin airing programs five minutes later, at :05 and :35 minutes past the hour. Programs seen on TBS were listed under their own time entry in TV Guide, during the period in which the magazine published log listings, as a result of this scheduling, thus enabling the program listings to catch potential viewers' eyes more readily. The use of "Turner Time" also encouraged channel surfers who could not find anything interesting to watch at the top of the hour to still be able to watch a program on TBS without missing the first few minutes. Most importantly, since shows ended five minutes later than normal, from a strategic standpoint the off-time scheduling usually encouraged viewers to continue watching TBS rather than turning to another channel to watch a program that would already be airing in progress...TBS reduced its use of the "Turner Time" scheduling in 1997 and switched entirely to conventional start times at the top and bottom of the hour by 2000.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I remember "Turner Time". Shows started at :05 and :35 past the hour.

From wiki...

On June 29, 1981, TBS (as SuperStation WTBS) began to use an off-time scheduling format for its programming known as "Turner Time." While program offerings on other broadcast and basic cable channels generally began at the top and bottom (:00 and :30 minutes) of each hour, TBS decided to begin airing programs five minutes later, at :05 and :35 minutes past the hour. Programs seen on TBS were listed under their own time entry in TV Guide, during the period in which the magazine published log listings, as a result of this scheduling, thus enabling the program listings to catch potential viewers' eyes more readily. The use of "Turner Time" also encouraged channel surfers who could not find anything interesting to watch at the top of the hour to still be able to watch a program on TBS without missing the first few minutes. Most importantly, since shows ended five minutes later than normal, from a strategic standpoint the off-time scheduling usually encouraged viewers to continue watching TBS rather than turning to another channel to watch a program that would already be airing in progress...TBS reduced its use of the "Turner Time" scheduling in 1997 and switched entirely to conventional start times at the top and bottom of the hour by 2000.

I remember that too.

I also remember the three hour difference, with programs slated for 7:05 starting at 4:05 out west.

How long ago did TBS put in a west coast feed?

• 2 months later...

Two months later, is seems as if TBS either postponed or threw out the new proposed logo altogether.

Not that I dislike the current logo. But damn, the one they have modified for MLB...that's just poor.

6uXNWAo.png

I guess someone must've said to themselves, "that's not very funny," so TBS removed the smile (semicircle).

So wait, IS there a new logo or not?

It was a little weird when TBS, a station deeply associated with Atlanta, hitched its wagon to reruns of Seinfeld and Friends, the two New Yorkiest shows that ever aired.

When Time Warner took over, they axed everything on the Turner stations that marked them as a product of the Deep South (which is why they were so quick to get rid of WCW, amongst other things). I think that was also around the time when TBS got an over the air broadcast affiliate in NYC.

If I'm remembering correctly....

TBS started shedding their familiar contents (Jetsons, Flintstones, Andy Griffith, Braves/Hawks games, etc.) to their family of networks in favor of more movies and 80's/90's sitcoms. All their cartoons eventually went to Cartoon Network. A lot of their Southern-based shows went onto this regional network called Turner South. Turner South aired like a 28-hour marathon of Elvis movies in the beginning, aired some new shows (like "Live From the Bluebird Cafe"...music from Nashville), some old shows (Andy Griffith, Matlock), and became the main local home for the Thrashers/Hawks/Braves.

Once AOL/Time Warner started to shed sports, not only did they sell off the Thrashers/Hawks/Philips Arena and the Braves, they also sold Turner South to Fox....which led to the channel becoming all sports and being renamed SportSouth (which was weird, because a sports network in the 80's/90's was called SportSouth and was purchased by Fox and became Fox Sports South). TBS was becoming what they are today...so once they made the jump to cable-only, Atlanta's local channel 17 became Peachtree TV, a Turner-owned channel that highly resembled what TBS used to be in the 80's and early 90's. A lot of old shows and, albeit a reduced number, Braves games. For a long while (and may still be going on), Peachtree TV could be seen in Canada because their cable providers were only allowed to show the Atlanta-only channel, not the TBS cable channel that went national-only. So a channel was only available in the Atlanta area and in Canada.....

Peachtree TV was eventually taken over by the local owner of the CBS station and their programming seems to be little-or-no programming from Turner. Aside from the 24-hour A Christmas Story marathon and the occasional Conan show, I don't watch much of Peachtree TV or TBS.

If I'm remembering correctly....

TBS started shedding their familiar contents (Jetsons, Flintstones, Andy Griffith, Braves/Hawks games, etc.) to their family of networks in favor of more movies and 80's/90's sitcoms. All their cartoons eventually went to Cartoon Network. A lot of their Southern-based shows went onto this regional network called Turner South. Turner South aired like a 28-hour marathon of Elvis movies in the beginning, aired some new shows (like "Live From the Bluebird Cafe"...music from Nashville), some old shows (Andy Griffith, Matlock), and became the main local home for the Thrashers/Hawks/Braves.

Once AOL/Time Warner started to shed sports, not only did they sell off the Thrashers/Hawks/Philips Arena and the Braves, they also sold Turner South to Fox....which led to the channel becoming all sports and being renamed SportSouth (which was weird, because a sports network in the 80's/90's was called SportSouth and was purchased by Fox and became Fox Sports South). TBS was becoming what they are today...so once they made the jump to cable-only, Atlanta's local channel 17 became Peachtree TV, a Turner-owned channel that highly resembled what TBS used to be in the 80's and early 90's. A lot of old shows and, albeit a reduced number, Braves games. For a long while (and may still be going on), Peachtree TV could be seen in Canada because their cable providers were only allowed to show the Atlanta-only channel, not the TBS cable channel that went national-only. So a channel was only available in the Atlanta area and in Canada.....

Peachtree TV was eventually taken over by the local owner of the CBS station and their programming seems to be little-or-no programming from Turner. Aside from the 24-hour A Christmas Story marathon and the occasional Conan show, I don't watch much of Peachtree TV or TBS.

I don't think it was a move "away from the South" as much as it was a move towards shows that most of America will actually watch. In other words, ratings.

I'm pretty sure TBS has some of the highest ratings of any basic cable network, and that's because they show things that people watch. I've been watching TBS since around 1992 and even back then, they showed comedies that took place all over the country. Saved by the Bell, Family Matters, Full House, I think Growing Pains, etc. The point is that these were shows that people actually watched, so they would get ratings by showing them. If Seinfeld or Friends took place in Atlanta, or if there were any popular comedies that actually took place in Atlanta, I am sure they would show them.

• 2 weeks later...

Two months later, is seems as if TBS either postponed or threw out the new proposed logo altogether.Not that I dislike the current logo. But damn, the one they have modified for MLB...that's just poor.

I think it postponed cause I also heard that Cartoon Network and TNT are also rebranding so I think Turner is doing what Nickelodeon did back in 2009

Two months later, is seems as if TBS either postponed or threw out the new proposed logo altogether.Not that I dislike the current logo. But damn, the one they have modified for MLB...that's just poor.

I think it postponed cause I also heard that Cartoon Network and TNT are also rebranding so I think Turner is doing what Nickelodeon did back in 2009

Cartoon Network? didn't they just rebrand just a little while ago?

They did but they may phased out the CN and go with the modernized checker logo from 1992-04

They did but they may phased out the CN and go with the modernized checker logo from 1992-04

Oh. I noticed their logo is less 3-dimensional than it used to be.

Archived