National Women's Soccer League Concepts

Jean17

I really like the idea here. That said, I think the red jersey needs a little something to make the red stars pop. Right now they'd definitely get lost, and from a distance I think you would see them as simply having an oddly low sponsor logo. I think having the single hoop where the stars are might work as a solution, as long as you put a stroke around the number to prevent it from blending in. (You could also just do a panel thing, but I am personally not a fan of that look.)

tumblr_nl5nwc4ZtD1un94vjo1_1280.png

For the Seattle Reign, I kept their great logo, but changed their color scheme. I chose Tyrian Purple to go along with their royal moniker. It's complimentary color is green, which is fortunate because Seattle is known as "The Emerald City". I chose vertical stripes for the home jersey because I wanted Seattle to have a look reminiscent of AC Milan. On the shorts, road shirt and socks, there is a 4 horizontal stripe pattern. Each stripe has a dark to light gradient suggesting multiple cascades because the they are references to local bodies of water:

Nice job on Seattle, but why do they have the same sponsor as Chicago?

BigRed618- Because it is revenue sharing, salary capped league so there is very little incentive to practice "free market" ploys like there is in international soccer. Also, the NWSL needs to prioritize stability. The stars of the league are taken care of but other players are leaving because they make miniscule wages.

Is the entire league sponsored by ChromeCast

grant1woods- No, but they should be. With few exceptions, their league is aired exclusively on YouTube. Sponsorship by the fellow Google brand Chromecast would be mutually beneficial because the league will have a stable broadcaster and Google will have a cheap laboratory to sharpen their ability to cover live broadcasting.

I feel like Seattle reigns jersey would be good if you made it like what PSG do

Jordyhazy- Funny that you mention PSG of all teams- the white uniform is based on the 1998 French National Team that won the World Cup. I didn't want to copy an Adidas design for a Nike uniform. The PSG, which is a basically a split-Ajax, seems like something that's fine for a change kit in the near future, but I want to strongly assert a visually identity for that team. I think purple and green stripes accomplishes that by being unique yet traditional.

I really like the idea here. That said, I think the red jersey needs a little something to make the red stars pop. Right now they'd definitely get lost, and from a distance I think you would see them as simply having an oddly low sponsor logo. I think having the single hoop where the stars are might work as a solution, as long as you put a stroke around the number to prevent it from blending in. (You could also just do a panel thing, but I am personally not a fan of that look.)

SG30- What do you think if I changed the stroke around the red stars to white? I like the Boca Juniors suggestion, but I want to firmly establish Chicago as "The Hoops" team.

Thank you for the feedback. I'm posting my next two designs immediately.

tumblr_nl7nkl4oBD1un94vjo1_1280.png

Sky Blue FC is a soccer academy in Somerset, New Jersey that owns and operates the women's team. New Jersey is the inspiration for the AS Monaco-style home jersey. I understand this an oversimplification, but New Jersey can be split up between North and South Jersey and the colors represent this. The Dutch Orange stands for North Jersey and its economic ties to New Amsterdam. The Swedish Azure stands for South Jersey and its links to New Sweden. The white road jersey sublimates the abstract design in their shield.

tumblr_nl9jstOMgE1un94vjo1_1280.png

The Portland Thorns have one of the most beautiful logos in all of sports- which unfortunately has to fight through an unnecessary black background. I intensified the red of the rose, soften the green of the thorns and encased them in a tighter roundel with a white background to give that logo focus it deserves. The uniforms are reflection of that refinement: clean home red and road green, a roundel-less logo on the shorts, and the classy font of the French National Team.

Seattle, Sky Blue, and, Portland look great. Not sure about the template collar for Portland but the idea is there. The crest changes look great.

I also LOVE the thought put into Chromecast as a league sponsor. I've lucked out that WNY Flash have a pretty decent presence and are fairly visible around here if you look. I think they might be the issue for the league sponsor, since they are basically a side project of the Sahlen family of Sahlen's hot dogs. They play at Sahlen's Stadium in Rochester, NY and practice at Sahlen's Sports Park in a Buffalo Suburb. I wonder if they'd do (*cringe*) multiple sponsors.

As far as Chicago, I think changing the stroke to white and thickening it will solve the readability issue.

tumblr_nlc4nm4Bbc1un94vjo1_1280.png

Here is an update on Chicago. I changed the strokes around the stars on the road jersey to white and, on SG30's advice, doubled their thickness. Western New York will be posted later today.

tumblr_nlc4v3PNOv1un94vjo1_r1_1280.png

I am not a fan of Western New York's logo. Strangely, the banner made to look like the owner's logo isn't really the problem. The yellow background and the telstar ball just seems like uninspired way to promote a soccer team. I looked for an established look that WNY could model themselves after and the first one I could think of was Feyenoord. However converting that simple roundel look to make a statement for WNY was surprisingly difficult. I thought of combining the flag of Buffalo (which is where the team operates) and Rochester (which is where the team plays) but the combination would equate to the flag of Greendale. However, yesterday I was watching KICKTV and saw logo that appropriately struck me like a bolt of lightning- JUVENTUS!

Here's how it breaks down:

• Waves flowing downward for the Niagara River and Falls
  • Niagara Engraved and Solid for nickname and location respectively
  • 2 Rochester Flower Logos on each side of the team name
  • The emblem in the middle of Buffalo's flag which has great bolt and star display

The logo encapsulates the hydroelectricity that inspires the name. Of course, changing the primary color from red to blue would perfect the look,but, you know- STUPID HOT DOG COMPANY OWNERS!

Archived