National Women's Soccer League Concepts

Jean17

Why is everyone sponsored by ChromeCast?

The OP has very thoughtfully explained this in an earlier post. Please read the comments of the author and other posters before asking a question that has already been answered.

Thanks!

Sorry 'bout that. I just quickly glanced through the thread to see if he had answered that and missed it.

tumblr_nlswozuVrl1un94vjo1_r1_1280.png

Atlanta has shown interest in becoming an expansion franchise in 2016. The team colors have already have been chosen: red & black. So here, is my offering on the team name and look:

The Atlanta Harlequins

The name was primarily chosen for the design element harlequin halves. Then I did a quick google search on birds since that is a part of Atlanta's recent sports motif of "red/black + bird", and I found this. The harlequin duck is found more northerly in the American continent (especially in the Pacific Northwest) but it looks good and fits the theme. The harlequin print in the logo completes a stand-out uniform.

tumblr_nlzki0vuOM1un94vjo1_1280.png

This may as well be a rebranding for the men's team as well, but I decided to take a crack at the possibility of Minnesota United FC fielding a women's team in 2019. Their current logo/crest is fine, but I decided to simplify it. I isolated the loon as the team crest. For the logo, after a brief struggle to find something that worked well with that loon. I took a side glance and noticed the the Seattle Reign logo. With my earlier work, I filled the empty space of the original crown. The one in the center was pear brilliant gem cut. I took that shape and turned it upside-down. Not only the gem cut work well with the loon, but it sums up the that Minnesota is the northern source of the Mississippi River.

As for the uniforms, again KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid). I believe Minnesota should be a black and white team with light blue accents. Therefore, my home jersey has broad black and white stripes a la Argentina in 1978. The road is a white uniform with a light blue horizontal stripe angled (with my eyeball) from downtown Minneapolis to downtown St. Paul.

tumblr_nlzkr5iILD1un94vjo1_1280.png

For the Washington Spirit, I decided to ditch the current brand because it was everything about it was tired Washington sports cliche. I wanted something that said "Washington D.C." that didn't also involve "America- :censored: YEAH!"

My inspiration was the Neo-Classical architecture of D.C. However, I didn't want to copy the superficial style. Ironically, I wanted to celebrate the spirit. I came up with:

The Washington Legion

The logo is based on the Roman scutum. The team crest is an amalgamation:

• At the center, a recreation of the 1930 World Cup T-model
  • Simplified version of the eagle wings in the Great Seal
  • My rendering of George Washington's sword behind the winged ball
  • LEGIO CAPITALVS which is Latin for The Capital's Legion
  • EPU standing for "E Pluribus Unum" within the 13-Star Circle

• 2 weeks later...

tumblr_nms221oRIW1un94vjo1_r1_1280.png

Not a fan of Boston's generic soccer team look, so I decided they needed rebrand also. My Boston Continentals concept and design are based on irony- one of the British Royal stamps used for The Stamp Act. Yet I tattooed it with a lot of Continental Army images. Here's the breakdown:

• The androgynous soldier is my rendering of Deborah Sampson
  • The guns are 1766 Model Charleville musket used by the Continental army during the war
  • To the left of Deborah, the 13-star formation of the Betsy Ross flag
  • To the right of Deborah, the pine tree used for the Flag of New England during the war
  • The Massachusetts state motto on the top & bottom of Deborah (get your chuckles in ladies & gents)
  • The color scheme is dark blue & cream- the Massachusetts 4th Regiment, which Deborah served, wore blue & off-white

Thank You for checking out my concepts. Feel free to comment and criticize.

• 4 months later...

tumblr_ntvm56xzDx1un94vjo1_1280.png

Pittsburgh is not an NWSL team but there were rumors before the Women's World Cup that there were some interest to field a team in the near future.

My offering for their identity: The Pittsburgh Harpies

Due to Pittsburgh German-American community, I wanted an eagle to represent the team much like the German National Team. The Harpy Eagle was the perfect eagle to use because of its look, habits, and name origin. Surrounding the eagle is unique crest made to look like Fort Pitt. The team colors are not the traditional yellow/gold for Pittsburgh. Instead, I went for black/white/steel gray because it was a befitting color scheme for the mascot and city history.

Atlanta: Solid look, crest looks good. However, for a team named Harlequins I think it could be a little bit more bold. Maybe try and incorporate some of that striping from the crest.

Minnesota: Also pretty good. I like the simplified crest. I think a blue jersey would look good too, maybe as an alternate.

Washington: Great uniforms, but the crest is too busy. I like the colors though, it has potential.

Boston: Crest may be a little busy again, but good job tying it in with the New England culture

Pittsburgh: Great look. Maybe move the sponsor below the checkerboard as it gets a little lost

x1elJNM.jpg

Atlanta: Solid look, crest looks good. However, for a team named Harlequins I think it could be a little bit more bold. Maybe try and incorporate some of that striping from the crest.

Minnesota: Also pretty good. I like the simplified crest. I think a blue jersey would look good too, maybe as an alternate.

Washington: Great uniforms, but the crest is too busy. I like the colors though, it has potential.

Boston: Crest may be a little busy again, but good job tying it in with the New England culture

Pittsburgh: Great look. Maybe move the sponsor below the checkerboard as it gets a little lost

HenryJens, thank you for your critiques. Here are my responses.

Atlanta: I understand what you are saying, I can see a Denmark 1986 look in their future. However, the NWSL is a 3 year-old league that is just starting to get some traction. The teams mostly wear Nike templates and a league font with their logos slapped on. So I'm striving for looks that can seen as "go-to". Therefore, the uniforms will lean towards conservative.

Minnesota: At the time that I started this project, no one had a third jersey. Portland once wore what was technically their practice jersey. As of this season, Portland is the only team to break out of wearing a template, but only Chicago and Seattle have third jerseys. A third jersey is like a gratuitous expense for everyone except Portland and maybe Sky Blue.

Washington: What element of the crest do you think is too much?

Boston: Do you think that getting rid of the Betsy Ross stars and replacing them with another pine tree would work. Also, would shrinking the pine trees work?

Pittsburgh: I'll most likely lighten the tone of the checkerboard stripe like I did with Sky Blue.

tumblr_nqyzrmCdAw1un94vjo1_1280.png

Although at this moment this is an unlikely franchise, I made a uniform set for the Vancouver Whitecaps. During the Women's World Cup, the head of the CSA mentioned that if there women's teams in Canada they would be affiliated with a men team. My home is very similar to Vancouver's 2013 -2014 set, but differs in directon, color, and pattern and pinhoop socks. The road is a simple all-dark blue uniform.

Busy may have been the wrong word. I just think some of the details on those crests would get lost when they were resized to fit on a jersey. Like the stars on Bostons's would pretty much disappear. The detail on the sword and wings for Washington may wind up the same way. I'd go in a Liverpool-like direction and have a super-simplified version of the crest on the jerseys, but the full version in presentation. You could even try and intersperse other details of the crest on other parts of the jersey, like how Liverpool puts the torches on the back neck for the Hillsborough memorial.

Whitecaps looks solid, it'd be cool to have a tweaked version of the Crest though, similar to their farm team Whitecaps 2.

x1elJNM.jpg

tumblr_nqyzmjfNfu1un94vjo1_1280.png

The NWSL is a by-product of an US, Canada, Mexico to pool resources for women's soccer. However, Mexico has recently been at odds with the league. So here's my proposal to salve the wound- admitting Club Tijuana into the league.

1. It already has a competing women's team.
  2. It has a markeing department that is agressively trying to play to the LA & SD markets.

The uniforms are black with a red gradient sash for the home. The away is plain white. From what I gather from their uniform history, they like to be very flashy. However, I think they would be guarded to spend more than they have to. So cool uniforms for the home crowd, but practical garb when there is a possibility of clash.

tumblr_nl9jstOMgE1un94vjo1_1280.png

The Portland Thorns have one of the most beautiful logos in all of sports- which unfortunately has to fight through an unnecessary black background. I intensified the red of the rose, soften the green of the thorns and encased them in a tighter roundel with a white background to give that logo focus it deserves. The uniforms are reflection of that refinement: clean home red and road green, a roundel-less logo on the shorts, and the classy font of the French National Team.

Sinclair instead of Heath???

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

• 2 weeks later...

Archived