raysox's A-League

raysox

Leagues.png

The 2015 Creamer Awards were announced last week. I went oh-fer but I know that I didn't do my best. I was too confident and lazy about the concept series. I want to come out swinging because I have great ideas, but need to commit myself. Also, ultimately, keep it simple. Less long back story for people to read through. I waited to finish my part of the WIHF project to finally unwrap this!

A few years ago, I did a few A-League concepts. They were okay. I used my soccer template at the time, but was confined by the template cuts. I was too reliant on them, so I decided to tear up my yakball template to make a new easy to change soccer template. Since I made it, I've done probably 200 concepts on it. I love it. That is why I'm releasing my soccer template. So many people have messaged me wanting it that I got annoyed sending out individual emails. Included is 6 different jersey cuts, across all brands. Have fun mixing and matching.

Download my svg soccer template here

So I felt like I left a lot on the table with my A-League concepts. I had my folder looking at me every time I went to my 2030, CONCACAF, or Tumblr Premier League folder. I felt like I needed to redeem myself. I forget how exactly I stumbled upon the league itself again. They follow me on twitter, but that's not it. It may be because the Cricket World Cup is going on down under, but all that happened was me learning cricket and watching highlights non-stop before they deleted the YouTube channel I did that on.

But I reached out to a group called Expand the A-League. Their goal is to try and push the soccer officials of Australia to expand the top domestic league to more than 10 teams, due to the handful of cities that could support a team. They got to me during the last round of concepts, and really liked my work. I tweeted at them saying that I may do A-League concepts down the line to redeem myself. I began talking to Mark, the author, and next thing I knew I was 3 or 4 concepts in. My idea was a smaller, Australian version of my US Soccer 2030. But much simpler. Just have like, 2 leagues of 14 teams. Hypothetical promotion/relegation mixing A-League teams, existing teams, former teams, and new teams made from scratch. Mark outlined me teams that would be great and where they could go in terms of the league landscape.

My brand is a simple shield with the Southern Cross on it with shades of yellow and green to match the Socceroos. Other brands include the Westfield FFA Cup, the domestic cup between both leagues. The State Cup which I'll explain later as the Australian-only domestic competition. Then the Kiwi Cup, which is the tournament between the 3 teams from New Zealand.

Cups.png

So let me say, thank you for hanging in there through the fluff that normally comes with this stuff. I'm really proud of everything so far, and getting pretty warm reviews on the concepts posted to Expand the A-League.

One last thing, I would really really REALLY love for someone to make a Football Manager mod of this league. Preferably 2014, but I just want to share this series with people because the guy who made the US Soccer 2030 mod really did great, and it's so fun. I would help whoever wants to do help me out immensely. Logos, colors, spreadsheets. Just let me know.

A-League.png
A-League2.png

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adelaide United

This was the first concept I did, and the first one I posted. Even though I'll claim that it was alphabetical. Originally in the last A-League series, I just somewhat updated their current logo,and made the kits have red/yellow/blue hoops just like the Adelaide Crows Aussie Rules team. The folks over on the Expand the A-League facebook page let me know that this team was known as "The Reds". The crest is simple with a diagonal slant of the colors from the current logo. I wanted simple and classic looking. One that could last for a while, or that Adelaide could pay me for.

The kits are all red with a sash that matches the crest. I put it on an Adidas kit and cleaned it up. The clash is a simple white jersey with blue trim. The red pants carried over to give The Reds some color.

Adelaide.png

This is going to be an amazing project. The A-League has some potential and I literally just waited for someone to start a project like this. I just hope you'll add another New Zealand franchise, maybe in Auckland.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

There's only one thing better than a massive football concept series, and that's a massive raysox football concept series. I shall look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Just one comment on the League logo - the Southern Cross being black makes the stars get a bit lost where they appear on the darker green.

Yesssss finally!!! Can't wait to go on my computer and check out that template too. Also I'm surprised you are doing a second tier so that should be interesting

Adelaide looks very good, almost no complaints. The only thing I would consider is a border on the red kit's sash, which would allow it to actually mimic the crest by including the red.

On the league logos, the stars blend in a whole lot on the greens, and a little bit on the yellow. Don't know what to do about that.

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

Another raysox soccer series; I like it! Adelaide looks really nice, especially that crest.

But I do agree that some of the stars on the league crest look pretty illegible, especially the ones on the dark green. White-on-green would look really nice, but I don't know about white-on-yellow...

You've got some great work here! I can really tell that you put some great thought into this. I love the way that particular red pops, maybe it's just my screen but it almost looks like a "hot red" or something. I think that'd look excellent in action. I also like the number font choice for the league!

My one nitpick I guess would be in echo to the concern that the stars on the A-League shield would get lost as they are. I do feel white would be the better way to go. Other than that, I really like what you've got and I'm looking forwards to the rest of the league. Sharp work!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Looking forward to this one, Raysox. Your series are always top-notch.

As for the league logos, I love the consistency with the shield shape and diagonal stripes. However, I would differentiate the A-League and A-League 2 more. Maybe use three shades of green with yellow stars for one, and three shades of yellow with green stars for the other. I would use the all yellow stripes for the A-League, since gold usually signifies the top spot.

I like the overall look for Adelaide United, especially the crest shape to the diagonal stripe motif. I'm not a fan of how you organized the type on the crest, though. "Adelaide" and "United" are centered and different widths, then "FC" is right aligned in a circle. Personally I would get rid of the circle and right align "United" and "FC" to "Adelaide", but if you're set on the circle I would just try to rework things to line up better.

As for the league logos, I love the consistency with the shield shape and diagonal stripes. However, I would differentiate the A-League and A-League 2 more. Maybe use three shades of green with yellow stars for one, and three shades of yellow with green stars for the other. I would use the all yellow stripes for the A-League, since gold usually signifies the top spot.

I REALLY like this idea. I would reverse his suggestion, though. Gold stars signify championships in soccer, and so should belong to the top league.

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

Aw man, and here I thought I was going to be the first on here to try and rebrand the A-League. :P Doesn't really matter, since I'll probably still try it eventually. I was a big fan of your Soccer 2030 series (back when I was lurking around here), and it's currently one of my main inspirations for the soccer league I am working on now. So needless to say, I am very excited about this, especially since it combines three of my bigger interests (soccer, sports concepts, and Australia).

Now, onto actual comments on the concepts. I really like the simplicity of the league logo, but I do echo the sentiments that there should be more differentiation between the two tiers. I do think the best way to do this would be what mbannon suggested with using three shades of green with gold stars and vice versa. Whatever league uses which one is up to you really. Also, super tiny question - are you going to make sponsorship logos for the leagues, like how it's currently the Hyundai A-Leauge? As for Adelaide, there's not much to talk about since I really like the look. I am curious as to why you went with a darker navy than what they currently use in their crest - artistic liberties perhaps? Regardless, I cannot wait to see what you do with this series. Keep up the good work, raysox!

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

Hey Raysox. Really liking the Adelaide sets, and unlike most on here, I actually like what you did with the two tier logos, kind of like the MLB and the Minor League logo, with some similarities as well as a few minor differences. As a non-soccer fan, I don't know what else to say, but I will be following this thread!

Archived