Future uniform trends

johnnysama

Here's a thread that asks: "What will be the future of sports uniforms?" Post your predictions here.

---

- Given how pullover jerseys in baseball are making a comeback of sports in the high school/college ranks, it wouldn't surprise me if they made a comeback at the pro level. I've said it before, and I will say it again: I may be in the minority on this one, but I just love pullover jerseys in baseball. Sure, baseball is seeped in tradition, but it should be progressive in some ways; and aesthetically speaking is one of those areas they should do so. (Trousers, well, I could go either way with beltless or belted.)

- On another note; you see more players wearing stirrups in the college ranks, but I could see them make a comeback in the pros as well.

- As much as I hate to say it, it may be likely that sleeved basketball jerseys may stay. It is also not out of the realm of possibility, that a handful of teams, in either the college or pro ranks, could make it their regular uniform style; the technology of fabrics has progressed so much in this century that it could work.

- Sleeves could make a comeback in football; however, they will be more form-fitting and not the floppy style seen in the 1970s/80s.

- I really don't know how the hockey uniform will change; maybe some more stronger, yet moisture-repellant fabric will be the big game changer, in addition to better safety equipment.

That's what I have to say, what about you guys?

UBwef0L.png

I'm driving blind here, yet here's my big 4 useless predictions... within 20yrs or so...

MLB - evolving to more sporting athletic (re. 'breathable') wear & less traditional button ups.

NBA - team &/or commercially branded muscle wraps for the Howards, Pauls, & Melos of the league.

NHL - skater helmet aesthetic overhaul, those things are blank canvases right now.

NFL - the only things I can possibly come up with is further faceguard evolution; each decade seems to give us a new tweak already.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

In about 10 years, MLB teams will have nearly sleeveless jerseys with their primary logos dialated, then rotated a little bit. And Mets fans will grow so tired of the Wilpons ownership of the team that they boycot all Mets home games and choose not to attend said games. This strategy backfires on Mets fans as the Wilpons finally reveal their evil plan to move to Mercury, switching full time to these atrocities:

4822432179_fb295b6ba9_o.jpg

TL;DR version- The Mets will feel like they're in the movie Major League, but there won't be a happy ending. Also, uniforms suck in the future. :P

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Advertisements, they're coming.

Personally, I would accept them easier if they didn't take up considerable space on the uniform and didn't take up any space on the actual jersey.

For example in hockey, ads could be displayed on the pants, helmets, or even better, the stick; that way they could be on the uniform but off the sweater that people would buy, and it wouldn't ruin the aesthetics of the uniform that much [or the sweater at all.]

It might not maximise profits, but the league would be able to cope with the little bit of added revenue. Plus, by that time the NHL might not have a quarter of its teams in literal money pits.

I'd like to see more protective helmets in the NHL, because although concussions occur a lot less now, it'd be better if there was even fewer concussions. I also saw that Oakley is making a new visor that flips upwards, which in theory sounds cool but looks super dumb. With advertisements, I'd be fine if the NHL atleast changes the sponsor logos to the team colors. And for two things that'd be cool, if goalies wore solid reflective face masks in Outdoor Games and it'd be cool to see some customization with the coward and defensemen helmets.

That's what- She

I would love to see the stirrups make a come back in baseball.

I cannot stand the baggy pants, bunched up leg material on the top of the shoe look that has been in the game for what, the past 20 years now? God I hate that!

And even though the solid color socks some teams wear if the player doesn't like the baggly pants look is better, I still would prefer to see the white sanitary socks under the stirrups, with the top of the stirrups decorated with a stripped pattern.

Ok, I am old. Get off my lawn!

Advertisements, they're coming.

Personally, I would accept them easier if they didn't take up considerable space on the uniform and didn't take up any space on the actual jersey.

For example in hockey, ads could be displayed on the pants, helmets, or even better, the stick; that way they could be on the uniform but off the sweater that people would buy, and it wouldn't ruin the aesthetics of the uniform that much [or the sweater at all.]

It might not maximise profits, but the league would be able to cope with the little bit of added revenue. Plus, by that time the NHL might not have a quarter of its teams in literal money pits.

They are, I do wish they will at least be designed into the uniform like some MLS teams (less prominent though), as apposed to the CFL or European hockey where they just sew giant patches that look so out of place.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been meaning to mention a couple predictions of mine here for a while now. Anyways, I think the future will be 3D-Printed Jerseys for most sports. They can construct them as one whole uniform, which will make them much lighter without having to stitch parts together like they do now. Another thing, as a Hockey fan, I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually see unique helmet designs, such as gradients and matte finishes. Now that I think about it, I think Nike will eventually murder any remaining decency in Football Jerseys. Sorry to all of you that like their designs and innovations but I think they are nowhere near as good as what the NFL of year's past looked like.

Archived