Las Vegas (Something) Knights NHL concept

sparkychewbarky

Mr. Foley, (the billionaire that's picking up most of the tab for the Las Vegas NHL project), has repeatedly stated that he prefers the name "Black Knights" for the Vegas hockey team.

He's the man, so I've attempted a concept using Mr.Foley's choice of name and colours.

bk-001.jpg

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Black Knights" conjures up all sorts of visions of steel-clad warriors, mighty war horses, castles, medieval weapons, etc.

There are many "Knights" sports-team logos out there, and the challenge becomes to create something that's unique enough to be instantly recognizable as the Vegas 'Knights.

I've drawn from the game of chess, and medieval heraldic influences...

bk-002.jpg

The Name

"BlackKnights", when used as one word, (kinda like the CFL's "RedBlacks"), looks a little long with the 2 "K"s.

I've decided to go with "BlacKnights" as a wordmark with the suggestion of the second "k" in the design.

I used a toned-down Old English script ("Squealer"...used by AC/DC).

...also created a "bK" monogram, which will come in handy later on...

bk-006.jpg

Secondary Logo

I wanted something that utilized a symbol of Vegas for the secondary, to be used as a shoulder patch and for merchandising.

The "compass-star" is a common element in heraldry, so I took a piece of the famous "Welcome to Las Vegas" sign...and "knighted" it...

bk-005.jpg

Just a thought. I feel like BlacKnights is a bit tacky. The Red Wings And Black Hawks/Blackhawks have been in the NHL since it began. Why not make the team name Black Knights?

Just a thought. I feel like BlacKnights is a bit tacky. The Red Wings And Black Hawks/Blackhawks have been in the NHL since it began. Why not make the team name Black Knights?

Thanks, and I see what you're saying Magnus.

I thought the one-word approach might work...Maybe not.

Whether it's one word or two, it'll probably get shortened to "Knights" on most nights.

Are you going to do the pace car and all the merchandising again

...Yeah, the pace car was a cool idea (thank you), and the Knights theme lends itself well to all sorts of "stuff".

Have to agree with Magnus on the "BlacKnights" name. It's the sort of thing that, if an actual professional team came out with it, would get endlessly mocked, not only around these parts but all over the place.

Home Uniform

Of course "BlacKnights/Black Knights" sreams out for a black uni, but we figured back in the "Las Vegas Aces" series, that black was a no-go because of the Kings.

I made the dark part of the uni a combo of the black and grey. It's a little drab, but it's unique and it makes the red and gold stand out.

(I promise some brighter-coloured alts)

The chevron is a popular heraldic element so I used that for the striping.

It emphasizes Foley's military preference, and suggests a "V" for "Vegas".

bk-007.jpg

Have to agree with Magnus on the "BlacKnights" name. It's the sort of thing that, if an actual professional team came out with it, would get endlessly mocked, not only around these parts but all over the place.

Thanks officeglenn...

2 votes for "Black Knights" over "BlacKnights".

Wow, can't believe we get another sparky series just weeks after the Aces one ended!

I agree with the others that the one word name is a little tacky. "Black Knights" would be much more professional.

Love the logos. The monogram/horse combination is really sharp, and the alternate with the Vegas star is genius. The only issue I see is with the red inline on the "BK" monogram. It gets REALLY thin at the intersection of the K and the bottom-right diagonal. I would just eliminate the inline in those spots. It could taper off at the intersection of the K, and just be taken off of the bottom-right corner.

The unis are really nice. I love how the gold and red pop, as well as the chevrons.

Archived