Las Vegas (Something) Knights NHL concept

sparkychewbarky

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take it the scoreboard is them beating the sharks lol

In all seriousness I do love the mideval theme. Alternate may be a little too gawdy on stripe pattern not color.

The patterns ARE probably too garish for a game sweater.

They'd make unique fan-sweaters.

I'll try a red and gold scheme on a simpler pattern.

Thanks b.

Guest darkpiranha

Bravo. Improvements in every element... almost! I love the ace-shaped knight, but I miss the splash of color the bridle used to provide. It's why the secondary logo is being responded to so favorably, I think. It just pops way more. Was using just the K for the bridle not working? I really don't think that it matters that it's not both the B and the K as the bridle. It looks neat purely as a design element, and if you make the connection that it's a K, all the better. Maybe do the B for home, and K for away.

I think the consensus is that the more you can incorporate red and gold, the better everything looks. Even the chequered jersey looks awesome.

Bravo. Improvements in every element... almost! I love the ace-shaped knight, but I miss the splash of color the bridle used to provide. It's why the secondary logo is being responded to so favorably, I think. It just pops way more. Was using just the K for the bridle not working? I really don't think that it matters that it's not both the B and the K as the bridle. It looks neat purely as a design element, and if you make the connection that it's a K, all the better. Maybe do the B for home, and K for away.

I think the consensus is that the more you can incorporate red and gold, the better everything looks. Even the chequered jersey looks awesome.

Hi darkp.

I agree with you about the need for more colour in the primary.

I don't see how I could go with just a "B" or a "K" when it's the 2-word "Black Knights".

I've never seen an "R" or a "W" for the Red Wings.

Would it be O.K. to go with just a "K"?

It would make things easier for me.

I've tried a different approach.

I've slimmed down the horse and put the colour around him.

Within the horse, i've snuck an "LV" into the highlights.

I've tweaked the Vegas Star a bit also....made it more colourful.

It's funny, I've spent hours trying to get the chess piece right.

I threw the Vegas Star together in about 10 minutes and I think it "works" better.

It just seems more "knightly".

Thanks for the input dp.

Here's the tweaks...

bk-029.jpg

Guest darkpiranha

Love both of the modifications. That's now a horse I can put my money on!

I think you COULD get away with the bridle just being a K because it's not entirely obvious it's supposed to be a K. It's not a load-bearing letter. It's neat like the LV on the knight if you notice it. I think it would just like a bridle if you were just glancing at it. I think it just makes the horse look more regal or more formal, like knight's horses of yore. Kind of armor-y. Horses always look cooler with armor on their heads.

But if you stopped now, I'm in love with this identity. I'll be sad if the real one ends up not looking anything like this...

Guest darkpiranha

I think both logos are fantastic, but both give me a different, if similar feel. The knight is more complex, and you kind of need to really look at it to appreciate it fully. "Hey, that's a chess piece. Oh, hey, it's kind of also like an ace! And that's a cool heraldic shield in the background. And the shield is kind of shaped like the Vegas sign, kinda." You immediately get a really cool instant impression from it, but there's more to unlock as you look at it. The Vegas star is just more instantly iconic and easy to process and has a lighter feel to it. But it still gives the full knightly feel. Seeing it as a sword and as a star is just easier to see at a glance. Realizing it's the VEGAS star done as a sword will only come later, and be a wow moment.

Trying to think of some other team that has two similar, but very different logos that they use on a semi-interchangable basis, if any. Most of those teams ditch one of the logos after awhile. Columbus Blue Jackets come to mind. Oh, for a precedent for informally shortening a team name, I often just hear the team referred to as the Jackets. The Devil Rays did that for a while, too, before officially shortening it to just Rays. You know the Black Knights will probably be just called the "Knights" in most normal conversation and on sports highlights shows.

I really want to like the sword and shield, but something about it's not doing it for me. I think part of it may be the gray of the shield, and part of it may be the line weights. I like the horse logo a lot, but I'm not sold on the chess identity fitting in the NHL. It feels like a minor league gimmicky thing (yeah, the Mighty Ducks were a thing, but the 90s were a scary time :P). I am glad you ditched the bk logo, it wasn't working with the horse.

Also, I have a question for Sparky and anyone that knows better than I do. I love your presentation, and using supporting/inspiration imagery for concepts. I'm planning on trying that for a series sometime soon. What's the forum's policy on presenting other photos and drawings in work that we didn't create? Are we supposed to cite the work?

Can't wait to see more!

I really want to like the sword and shield, but something about it's not doing it for me. I think part of it may be the gray of the shield, and part of it may be the line weights. I like the horse logo a lot, but I'm not sold on the chess identity fitting in the NHL. It feels like a minor league gimmicky thing (yeah, the Mighty Ducks were a thing, but the 90s were a scary time :P). I am glad you ditched the bk logo, it wasn't working with the horse.

Also, I have a question for Sparky and anyone that knows better than I do. I love your presentation, and using supporting/inspiration imagery for concepts. I'm planning on trying that for a series sometime soon. What's the forum's policy on presenting other photos and drawings in work that we didn't create? Are we supposed to cite the work?

Can't wait to see more!

yes you are supposed to site

28ahpn4.jpg

NbyQSAg.pngODa02WA.pngChTDCVV.png

Can't wait to see more!

Images created by someone else need to be cited. Inspiration kind of, it depends.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Can't wait to see more!

Images created by someone else need to be cited. Inspiration kind of, it depends.

This, and if you use a logo from another member on this forum you have to get their permission.

JeKhnr9.png

Hey sparky, your last two "Las Vegas NHL" series have been incredible! I am very glad you did a black knights concept because i am creating a fictional hockey universe that uses the las vegas black knights as a team and I hadn't found any uniforms. As far as C&C, I prefer the chess piece logo on the home and roads - the shield logo seems perfect as a shoulder/secondary logo. If you are thinking about an alternate, may I suggest putting the shield logo on a black uniform?

Btw this is my first ever post on these forums! :boogie:

spacer.png

This is probably the best thread I've seen during my time here. I really love reading your inspirations and thought processes behind each design instead of just "i wanted to try this, so i did, what do you think?"

I'm very impressed.

bufg.png

Archived