Serie A: Una Questione Di Stile (Torino 5/4)

UnclearInitial

This concept series has been a long time coming, and since soccer series seem to be going strong right now I thought I would finally post mine too. Italian kits are almost always very averse to innovation,and sometimes even changing the collar color is seen as a major change. Thank you to theflakeband for his amazing templates. The first (well, last) team will be up within minutes

Parma

Cagliari

Hellas Verona

Juventus

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Parma FC

Parma FC are bankrupt now, so I had to post this before they dissolved :hockeysmiley: . Stylistically, it is probably the most interesting team in Italy. For most of their history they wore white kits with a black cross, but in the 90's due to sponsorship they changed repeatedly. Initially for rather plain white shirts (some more adventurous than others). In the late 90's, in an attempt to create a more iconic look, they introduced the "bumblebee" set, which is what most often comes to mind to casual football fans regarding Parma, as they had tremendous, if rather fake, success in those kits. Due to fan pressure, the crossed kits came back in 2004/05. My set has a classic, crossed design, with the blue and yellow details of their Cup Winners Cup-winning kit (whoa, that's a mouthful). The band goes all the way around, as personally I think it looks much better. The clash brings back the old bumblebee kits, especially inspired by the 02/03 and 03/04 kits with a small black cross behind the collar. the third features a navy cross on a yellow shirt, an update on some of their classic away kits based on the crest of the city. The crest removes some unnecessary outlines present on the one they updated last year

parma%20presentation%202_zpsznmqfewm.png

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Yes! This should be a great series.

No complaints from Parma. You summed everything up in your explanation. There could be no complaints if they went with this in real life... if they still exist as a club in the future that is.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

And for Act 2 of this series, let's take a trip to an island. Any C&C are very appreciated :)

Cagliari Calcio

Cagliari is one of those teams who are better than elevator clubs and are usually safe a few days before the season, but can never come close to challenging for European places, but this year it looks like they will head to Serie B for the first time since 2003-04. Recently, they are best known for having had a thousand different managers under the ownership of the lunatic Massimo Cellino (now an owner-cook at Leeds United), who also briefly moved the team to Trieste over stadium issues with the city.

Cagliari is one of the few teams in Italy who can claim to represent a whole region,and they've always had the 4 moors flag of Sardinia as part of their crest, donning it proudly even when crests were rare in italian football. the most important thing for me was to bring back the the 4 moors front and center, instead of being nearly invisible hidden in a square, inside a shield, inside an oval.

As for the kits, the home kit is in halves and not quarters because Cagliari have used halves occasionally and to differentiate them from Genoa. The sides and sleeves are the opposite colors of the half and continue onto the shorts, creating an asymmetrical look so that it doesn't look monochrome on one side like some of the more recent kits. The white shorts continue the side trim, while the red ones are all-red becuase they would realistically be the one from the third kit. The collar is henley, a nod to the laced collars that were used when Cagliari won its lone scudetto in 1970 with Gigi Riva. The 4 moors are on the back of the socks, and on the back of the collar it says "Su Casteddu", from what I understand Go Cagliari in Sardinian.

The away kit is also an homage to the scudetto-winning side, who actually used the whites for the majority of their games because it was considered lucky.

Another "lucky" kit is the all-red one, which was used because a flood had ruined all of their kits and was worn as they climbed out of last place to avoid relegation. In the concept it is all red with emerald sides, collars, and sleeve cuffs, an homage to Sardinia's beautiful Costa Smeralda. The 4 moors are sublimated on the front

cagliari%20presentazione%202_zpsgs0tnfko

07Giants.pngnyy.png

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the long layoff, I was abroad and therefore without my PC for a month, Without further ado...

HELLAS VERONA FC

Hellas is the most popular team in Verona, with their most successful season being 1984-85, when they won their only Scudetto. The most important thing for me was to change their logo, which is way too busy. I started from the hexagonal shape the mastiffs-and-ladder logo had when it was introduced, and divided it in an upper portion with the mastiffs (i fixed the eyes a bit), and a lower one with the cross used in the city crest, divided by the team name.

The home kit is inspired by that worn during the team's apex, but with less and more even pinstripes. There is a ladder below the collar, and HVFC is written on the socks. The clash is the same as the home, but in white and with alternating yellow and blue pinstripes. The third is yellow with a horizontal striping pattern that creates a ladder on the chest, and the same is repeated on the socks. It uses the blue and yellow cross instead of the teams crest, kind of like a "city pride" uniform.

C&C please :)

2wri5w4.jpg

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Hoping to get a bit more (read: any) C&C for this one

JUVENTUS FC

Juventus is by far the most popular team in Italy, and also its most successful, as they will win their 31st Scudetto at the end of this season. This was started way before the Adidas deal was announced, so I might have to update these. The home kit features wide black and white stripes, and the hardest decision was probably how to make the number,as they've worn a lot of different styles. In the end, I decided to go with the 2012/13 style with white numbers in a black box with a black NOB on top, and I've used the Eurostile Bold they had because it was created in Turin and it's a great font. The stripe behind the collar features a Zebra pattern, a nickname that came from their colors. Juventus looks much better emphasizing white rather than black, so the collar and cuffs are white, with blue and yellow necktape as a nod to the cities color.

The clash is blue with a yellow horizontal arch taken from their logo. the logo above the NOB is also taken from their crest, the black-and white version of Turin's crest.

The third features double-tone pink, which was their original color. On the chest it creates a triple-star design, 1 for every 10 Scudetti (the 3 stars was also brought back to the crest). My first draft of this kit had the three stars below the crest, but since what they have worn this year ended up being a blue version of it I scrapped it. The collar is polo, and both it and the cuffs are black and white.

A "European" shirt was also made for Champions league games, with thinner stripes, red/white/green details, and hooped socks

2qxrp8w.jpg

07Giants.pngnyy.png

You don't need both the home kit and the 4th kit. I think that european kit is better than the home and should be the home. I like the use of the yellow mark from the shield in the blue kit.For the pink kit maybe all pink since you already have the white and black shorts with the home

This deserves so much more love from everybody. I guess you could say that C+C isn't needed because there isn't much to critique. I am enjoying this series and the explanations are really helpful in presenting your concepts.

Cagliari and Hellas Verona I am not too familiar with. So I take your word that what you have said in the description is correct. You have done well to create kits which reflect the things you have written about. Good job.

Juventus - this is a pretty classic collection of kits, instantly recognisable as Juventus.

The away kit instantly recognisable from their champions league success in the 90s. As Wgeddes says, incorporating the arch from the shield is clever and a nice touch.

The pink and black combo (NOT all pink) is also a classic look for them. Use of the white shorts as an alternate is versatile.

Finally, having a separate European kit is fine. Many teams do this - Dortmund being a famous example. I don't see why they couldn't have one?

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

European kits have been worn by Dortmund, Napoli and a few others, but my inspiration for most of the European kits that I made was Sevilla, they always added Spanish flag details to their european kits and I always thought it was nice.

The shorts are black/white because a) frankly I think it looks better like this and B) there's only room for one all-pink clash in Serie A ;)

07Giants.pngnyy.png

GENOA CFC

Genoa Cricket and Football Club is the oldest club in Italy, founded in 1893. They were the first team to win a Scudetto in 1898, and were generally a powerhouse in in the early years of soccer. They have won 9 championships, but the last one came in 1922.

Not really much you can do with them, they've hardly ever changed anything and being a traditional team, they should wear traditional kits. Their crest is perfect, really (this choreography with their historical crests seems designed by a CCSLC member).

All the kits feature a red and blue collar split in the middle, and the kits looks for a perfect balance between blue and red. The clash has the traditional chest stripe, with the logo in the middle. The third brings back the throwback blue and white stripes, a look that they brought back in the past. The biggest challnge is fighting the right shade of blue, since it's hard to make out of black and white picture. They've tried a sky blue and navy. Obviously you can't use royal blue as it will be too close to Sampdoria, so I went with a pacific blue similar to what the Chargers' original jerseys are.

r2ltgl.jpg

07Giants.pngnyy.png

TORINO FC

Torino will be posted today because May 4th is the date that one of the greatest teams of all time perished in the Superga air disaster, and the annual march from Torino to Superga. Il Grande Torino (Great) won 5 consecutive Scudetti from 1942 to 1949, was 10 years ahead of its time tactically with the 4-2-4, and Italy regularly started 7-8 Torino players, once starting all 10 outfield players in a win against Puskas' Hungary. Torino mostly disappeared into irrelevancy after the disaster, adding their 7th scudetto in the 70's, a few Coppa Italia, and a lost Uefa Cup final. They became one of the biggest what ifs? of football. Would they have continued dominating? Would they have challenged Real for some European Cups? Would they have become a team on the same level as the Big 3 of Italian football? This year they reached the round of 16 in the Europa League and they are again challenging for European spots.

After that "brief" introduction, let's get to the kits. The home kit is very classical, similar to what the Grande Torino wore. I took off the red sponsor patch and replaced it for just the script, at least on colored kits where the red is a huge eyesore. Vecchio Cuore Granata (Old Maroon Heart) is written behind the collar, a phrase that represents the heart and passion the team needs to reach for in tough games.

The clash is a design Torino has used often in the past, a River Plate style sash, because River Plate played a charity game vs. Torino after the air disaster.

The third featured yellow and black stripes, with the charging bull freed from the crest. Yellow and black stripes were used by one of Torino's predecessors, FC Torinese.

29zbecp.jpg

07Giants.pngnyy.png

This deserves so much more love from everybody. I guess you could say that C+C isn't needed because there isn't much to critique. I am enjoying this series and the explanations are really helpful in presenting your concepts.

This is why I've been holding off on commenting so far--also because I don't know too much about Serie A, especially the teams that don't regularly compete in Europe. I figure I'll give the thread some love now though because it deserves it.

Parma is perfect I think, although I have to say I like the numbers on the continuing back stripe more with the 3rd kit than the 1st, because of the color contrast.

The shorts idea for Cagliari is very interesting. I'm a fan of asymmetry and I buy the reasoning, so consider me a fan of that design. The "emerald" in the 3rd looks teal to me; when I think about emerald (my birth stone) I envision a dark green. Is that teal color just what Sardinia considers to be emerald or was that your personal choice?

I think Juventus's 1st and 2nd are perfect, although I have to say the 4th is more interesting than the 1st. I don't really get continuing the green and red as trim in the middle white stripe for the 4th though, and I can see why Wgeddes122 thinks it's unnecessary to have such a minor change for a new European kit. I sort of just want the Italian flag inside the collar, but that would possibly make it even less necessary as an alternate kit. Is there any other way you could incorporate that flag into the visible part of the kit? Maybe put it on the sleeve cuffs and/or ends of the shorts? If you're not afraid of more asymmetry, maybe make one cuff/end green and the other red?

The stars AND the stripes in the 3rd kit's pink jersey are a bit much for me. The sublimated stars especially remind me too much of the 90s. I think contemporary minimalism would be more accepting of just having the stripes.

I'll refrain from critiquing the 1st and 2nd Genoa kits since they're apparently set in tradition, but I'm not sure how I feel about the pacific blue stripes in the 3rd clashing with their primary blue still being used as the trim.

It was interesting for me to learn that Torino used a 4-2-4 in the 40s, and ironic that those players then defeated the Golden Team (though I'm not super happy about that, being half-Hungarian myself). The story about why they use a River Plate sash on their clash is also very cool. My only critique of the kits you've created comes with that 3rd: the charing bulls pattern on the shoulders down to the sleeves is pretty wild. I realize it's a 3rd kit and so it would rarely be seen anyways, but I'm not sure that's the most tasteful way of incorporating that crest element.

Overall, though, I'm a big fan of this series. Can't wait to see what you have in store for the rest of Serie A, especially Napoli--my nona on my mom's side was from Naples.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

This is why I've been holding off on commenting so far--also because I don't know too much about Serie A, especially the teams that don't regularly compete in Europe. I figure I'll give the thread some love now though because it deserves it.

Parma is perfect I think, although I have to say I like the numbers on the continuing back stripe more with the 3rd kit than the 1st, because of the color contrast.

The shorts idea for Cagliari is very interesting. I'm a fan of asymmetry and I buy the reasoning, so consider me a fan of that design. The "emerald" in the 3rd looks teal to me; when I think about emerald (my birth stone) I envision a dark green. Is that teal color just what Sardinia considers to be emerald or was that your personal choice?

The "emerald" color is more of an aqua, you're right. Cagliari once used an aqua jersey in 2006 and they called it emerald. Costa Smeralda is known for its greenish waters

I think Juventus's 1st and 2nd are perfect, although I have to say the 4th is more interesting than the 1st. I don't really get continuing the green and red as trim in the middle white stripe for the 4th though, and I can see why Wgeddes122 thinks it's unnecessary to have such a minor change for a new European kit. I sort of just want the Italian flag inside the collar, but that would possibly make it even less necessary as an alternate kit. Is there any other way you could incorporate that flag into the visible part of the kit? Maybe put it on the sleeve cuffs and/or ends of the shorts? If you're not afraid of more asymmetry, maybe make one cuff/end green and the other red?

The subtle flag on the European is similar to what Sevilla does sometimes with their European kits. For me, the biggest change is the thinner stripes, with hooped socks. The flag trim is just that, something to show pride in you country without flaunting it like this one did

The stars AND the stripes in the 3rd kit's pink jersey are a bit much for me. The sublimated stars especially remind me too much of the 90s. I think contemporary minimalism would be more accepting of just having the stripes.

I'm all for contemporary minimalism for home and away, but I've always thought third kits should be used to try and experiment creative ideas. Imagine how boring it would be if no team had "modern" kits

I'll refrain from critiquing the 1st and 2nd Genoa kits since they're apparently set in tradition, but I'm not sure how I feel about the pacific blue stripes in the 3rd clashing with their primary blue still being used as the trim.

Hmm, double blue is used commonly but those shades might be too similar. Will look into it

It was interesting for me to learn that Torino used a 4-2-4 in the 40s, and ironic that those players then defeated the Golden Team (though I'm not super happy about that, being half-Hungarian myself). The story about why they use a River Plate sash on their clash is also very cool. My only critique of the kits you've created comes with that 3rd: the charing bulls pattern on the shoulders down to the sleeves is pretty wild. I realize it's a 3rd kit and so it would rarely be seen anyways, but I'm not sure that's the most tasteful way of incorporating that crest element.

The "charging bulls" pattern is actually the infamous mudflap Kappa logo, :D . Not really needed, but it's a 90's look I like for a one time thing

Overall, though, I'm a big fan of this series. Can't wait to see what you have in store for the rest of Serie A, especially Napoli--my nona on my mom's side was from Naples.

Thanks you. Don't worry, Napoli is roaring and ready to go B)

07Giants.pngnyy.png

I'm disappointed that there is no comments until recently. I honestly have no complaints, besides the fact that Juventus doesn't need that 4th kit. Everything is well explained and historically correct and I think it's excellent! Excited for Internazionale Milan, AC Milan, and Roma! Keep it up!

TWolf

Archived