MCM0313

Red and black (or rouge et noir ;)) is the most obvious answer:

5bbac52cb4e470dfe15dac314f57ec50.jpg

but I think navy and gold (both old gold and yellow) should be right up there:

conner-1.jpg

On a related note, royal blue, gold, and red are a fantastic combo:

LONDON-MONARCHS-WEMBLEY-AMERICAN-FOOTBAL

tul-07-10-bluegold-dennishubbard-vert-62

My personal favorite color combinations are white & gold and black & gold, but unfortunately those haven't really been used in sports, except for this Western Michigan alt that could have been executed better (by using white pants and no drop-shadow for the numerals):

niu-wmu-unis2.jpg

This early Jacksonville Jaguars look combines those two combos into a scheme I wish the Jags had kept (no need for teal imo):

Jacksonville+Jaguars+v+Indianapolis+Colt

The Jags look tough but a bit dull in that photo. I'm just not generally a fan of color schemes with no "spice" to them.

As for WMU, they look great in that white-and-gold, and I agree that they should've gone with white (or gold!) pants rather than GFGS (I think the drop shadow looks okay here though), but saying that black and metallic gold is seldom used is ridiculous. It is, perhaps, rarer than I initially thought, but Saints, Penguins (they'd be better with yellow though), Oakland U., Bryant U., and...um...okay, black and yellow is definitely more common. However, WMU will get very little love for me, because they traded their brown for BFBS. (BFBS and GFGS in the same photo, really, if you count the drop shadow, and still it looks good!)

I absolutely love Tulsa's color scheme when they avoid BFBS and use metallic gold instead of yellow, and that football outfit is a doozy. What's the similarly-attired team with the M/crown on their helmets? London Monarchs, I'm guessing?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgot about this one. I love those Monarchs uniforms.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Hate me all you want, but WYO's color scheme is ultra unique and I actually like the yellow and brown combo.

Admittedly, though, they've cluttered it up with toilet bowl collars and flywire in recent years.

wy-12-browngold-troybabbitt-vert-620x829

My hometown high school that I would've gone to if a new one with a better academic program hadn't opened up while I was in middle school had a yellow and brown color scheme (and identity) that I was always fond of, but unfortunately they recently got the Long Beach State treatment (i.e. trading brown for BFBS).

Trading brown and gold for BFBS is the "Long Beach State treatment"? When did LBSU wear brown? I've only known them to wear black and yellow-gold. If anything, I'd call that the "Western Michigan treatment."

Since it's hard to find old pictures of their now-defunct football program that have good enough lighting for you to tell it's brown from black (let alone being in color), I'll just quote this paragraph from the "Traditions" page of their school website:

"SCHOOL COLORS

Originally, the school colors were brown and gold, however, in 1989 football coach George Allen decided to change his football uniforms. Instead of using brown, he substituted black and the colors black and gold were adopted. The colors officially changed in the spring of 2000, passed by a student referendum. Swimming and water polo teams have used black and gold for much longer, since it's a bit difficult to find brown swim caps in Southern California."
My parents had a crate with the old 49ers logo on it in brown and gold so I've always associated them with those colors.

I absolutely love Tulsa's color scheme when they avoid BFBS and use metallic gold instead of yellow, and that football outfit is a doozy. What's the similarly-attired team with the M/crown on their helmets? London Monarchs, I'm guessing?

Yup, the WLAF/NFL Europe London Monarchs. That uniform is their 1991/92 look that they brought back for 1997 after a horrible mid-90s redesign. It's also such an example of the uncanny valley that for the longest time I couldn't tell if it was an expertly captured photo from the 90s or a mod of a current-gen video game. I settled with the latter but my mind's still not completely convinced.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Hate me all you want, but WYO's color scheme is ultra unique and I actually like the yellow and brown combo.

Admittedly, though, they've cluttered it up with toilet bowl collars and flywire in recent years.

wy-12-browngold-troybabbitt-vert-620x829

My hometown high school that I would've gone to if a new one with a better academic program hadn't opened up while I was in middle school had a yellow and brown color scheme (and identity) that I was always fond of, but unfortunately they recently got the Long Beach State treatment (i.e. trading brown for BFBS).

Trading brown and gold for BFBS is the "Long Beach State treatment"? When did LBSU wear brown? I've only known them to wear black and yellow-gold. If anything, I'd call that the "Western Michigan treatment."

Since it's hard to find old pictures of their now-defunct football program that have good enough lighting for you to tell it's brown from black (let alone being in color), I'll just quote this paragraph from the "Traditions" page of their school website:

"SCHOOL COLORS

Originally, the school colors were brown and gold, however, in 1989 football coach George Allen decided to change his football uniforms. Instead of using brown, he substituted black and the colors black and gold were adopted. The colors officially changed in the spring of 2000, passed by a student referendum. Swimming and water polo teams have used black and gold for much longer, since it's a bit difficult to find brown swim caps in Southern California."
My parents had a crate with the old 49ers logo on it in brown and gold so I've always associated them with those colors.

Yup, the WLAF/NFL Europe London Monarchs. That uniform is their 1991/92 look that they brought back for 1997 after a horrible mid-90s redesign. It's also such an example of the uncanny valley that for the longest time I couldn't tell if it was an expertly captured photo from the 90s or a mod of a current-gen video game. I settled with the latter but my mind's still not completely convinced.

I'll go with the former. Do current-gen video games feature such details as varying standing positions and body language of players not in the game, and what looks like a large wrinkle on one coach's pants? Although, going strictly by the players on the field, I'd guess video game. Impressive. lol

Also, holy crap is the Monarchs' mid-1990s redesign bad!

EtLZlFw.jpg

Yes. My dream redesign for them would be to return to purple & black while using red as an accent (we know they're Canadian; they don't have to wear Canada Day uniforms all the time), sorta like TCU's 2013 Pro Combats:

2013-tcu-nike-pro-combat-black-uniforms-

Of course, this sadly isn't going to happen

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Best color schemes in Pro Football:

Current:

Tommy+Streeter+Tampa+Bay+Buccaneers+v+Ja(The jerseys could say otherwise though)

00.jpg

Past:

gyi0062711713.jpg

rams_display_image.jpg?1269700692

Best Color schemes in Pro Basketball:

Current:

a9fa321efff616013ce30ca8781f8153_crop_no

bos-celtics-big-three-era-alternate-675x

Past:

seattle-sonics.jpga

and call me crazy but.....I don't uta-jazz-95-03-away-675x3801.jpg

I don't think the Jazz have ever in their history had a bad color scheme. The one they have now is probably the worst, and it's not awful, just a bit bland and lacking in contrast. The scheme they used from 1996-early 2000s could've been implemented better, but it was a solid scheme.

AHL Is Admirals thier brewers throwback Alt

admiralsbrewers.jpg

The admirals have a great colour scheme, but their socks are abominations. Especially when paired with that alt.
Other than the color scheme and (maybe) the logo, their WHOLE uniforms suck. They have the Side panel socks(for whatever reason) and a flood filled jersey. They are the WORST in the AHL.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Yes it's been posted already but I have some better photos to show. While many HATED the Copper & Gold, I love it. Wish they'd go back. I do like the Maroon & Silver but it's not as unique. Can't tell me these sets aren't aweome.

705abe46-c90a-5efd-bb3c-9cff2fc1f88b.ima

article-2278626-176FB139000005DC-294_634

50f9efcbdcfd5.preview-620.jpg

DWD_Sig_zpsbbf8ibvd.png

• 3 months later...

Pensacola Blue Wahoos wear navy, royal, and pink. It looks absolutely amazing. My second favorite is the original Diamondbacks colors. Green and orange is third for me.

To hearken on my OP.

453_pensacola-blue_wahoos-primary-2012.p

That is a beautiful scheme!

Pensacola Blue Wahoos wear navy, royal, and pink. It looks absolutely amazing. My second favorite is the original Diamondbacks colors. Green and orange is third for me.

To hearken on my OP.

Ohhhhhh yea this is a good one.

As a minor point of correction...the Wahoos call that "Bright Rose". But yeah...pink. And Bayfront Stadium uses it quite well. It also looks great in person i.e. t-shirts and the like. Definitely a unique colorway for sure.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

What about this color scheme 577167_czmega220215rasfoto-marko-metlas3

it's not my favourite, but I like it because it's definitely unique (ok, maybe it's not too manly...).

look at their facial expression, even they do like playing in those pink and purple adidas monstrosities

What about this color scheme 577167_czmega220215rasfoto-marko-metlas3

it's not my favourite, but I like it because it's definitely unique (ok, maybe it's not too manly...).

look at their facial expression, even they do like playing in those pink and purple adidas monstrosities

Hahaha. It should be navy blue and pink. Well, I think they're not so dissapointed, last year they had pink and baby blue and maaan that was ugly. But let's not stray off topic.

Like I said, I like unique color scheme, so I would vote for old New Orleans Hornets Teal - Purple - Gold (I like also current Charlotte colors, but I think it's more baby blue than teal), so

061206-LakersHornets-060.jpg

banner.jpg

To hearken on my OP.

Ohhhhhh yea this is a good one.

As a minor point of correction...the Wahoos call that "Bright Rose". But yeah...pink. And Bayfront Stadium uses it quite well. It also looks great in person i.e. t-shirts and the like. Definitely a unique colorway for sure.

That's not really pink. It's more fuchsia or magenta than anything.

Archived