Political Logos

Waffles

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was this Rodham-Clinton logo ripped off from a Hospital sign or Fed-Ex?

hillary_clinton_2016.png

FedEx-Logo.png

Blog-Pic-Hospital-Sign.jpg

I see this logo every night on my toothbrush:

NtUnu7BX.png

Aquafresh_Logo.gif

Brush your teeth with Bernie!

There's a joke in there somewhere.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Scott Walker should grow a beard and wear a yellow trenchcoat.

WalkerTitle.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

• 3 weeks later...

Gif showing Ben Carson's original campaign logo and the new, updated version:

-1x-1.gif

Solid upgrade, IMO.

UyDgMWP.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wikipedia has all the candidate logos built into the GOP and Dem pages:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_presidential_candidates,_2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_presidential_candidates,_2016

O'Malley's (D-Maryland) logo looks like a home shopping TV network:

90px-O%27Malley_for_President_2016_Logo.

UyDgMWP.jpg

• 5 months later...

Interesting tidbit from this story about Michael Bloomberg's decision to not run for President:

Aides planned an elaborate campaign to introduce him to the electorate, and consulted with Milton Glaser, the architect of the “I Love New York” campaign, and the Swedish-born designer Thomas Meyerhoffer, of California, to work on logos.

His messaging would have stressed Mr. Bloomberg’s identity as a self-made man and a problem solver not beholden to either party. A draft of his website carried the slogan, “All Work and No Party.” One logo, etched in purple, read simply: “Fix It.”

• 2 weeks later...
On March 7, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Waffles said:

Interesting tidbit from this story about Michael Bloomberg's decision to not run for President:

Aides planned an elaborate campaign to introduce him to the electorate, and consulted with Milton Glaser, the architect of the “I Love New York” campaign, and the Swedish-born designer Thomas Meyerhoffer, of California, to work on logos.

His messaging would have stressed Mr. Bloomberg’s identity as a self-made man and a problem solver not beholden to either party. A draft of his website carried the slogan, “All Work and No Party.” One logo, etched in purple, read simply: “Fix It.”

bush-jeb-fix-it-tour.jpg

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

On a related note, the Ontario Progressive Conservatives unveiled a new logo.

ontario_pc_logo_before_after.png

While I really liked the old one, I completely understand why they wanted to re-brand (two lost elections under that logo, what will be 15 years out of power come 2018, the disastrous Hudak campaign in 2014, etc.). That said, the update is crap. The old logo was classy and timeless; this one will look horribly dated in fifteen years. It's interesting how the "P" and the "C" -- that is, the "progressive" and the "conservative" sides of the party -- come together in the centre, united by what may be the most horribly rendered trillium (Ontario's provincial flower) in the history of graphic design. Now, they didn't explicitly say that (officially, the party said that the colours are taken from the province's flag), although I have a hard time believing that's just a coincidence given A. The fact that "progressive" is in red and "conservative" is in blue; and B. All Brown's talk of being an "inclusive" party that tries to be all things to all people (i.e. a big shift towards Red Toryism -- :().

Now, if that wasn't their intention, that's some pretty horrible oversight and brand confusion on their part.

4 hours ago, Mockba said:

That wordmark with the varying weights makes me want to kick a puppy.

It starts thin and gets bolder, maybe it's meant to imply a stronger future. A future where people who want to kick puppies can do so without fear of retribution from the anti-puppy kicking bullies.

championship_banners_sig_by_verasthebruj

History of a Fictional Football League (1989)

Thread - Logos - Uniforms - History

On 2016-03-18 at 1:45 PM, BigBubba said:

On a related note, the Ontario Progressive Conservatives unveiled a new logo.

ontario_pc_logo_before_after.png

While I really liked the old one, I completely understand why they wanted to re-brand (two lost elections under that logo, what will be 15 years out of power come 2018, the disastrous Hudak campaign in 2014, etc.). That said, the update is crap. The old logo was classy and timeless; this one will look horribly dated in fifteen years. It's interesting how the "P" and the "C" -- that is, the "progressive" and the "conservative" sides of the party -- come together in the centre, united by what may be the most horribly rendered trillium (Ontario's provincial flower) in the history of graphic design. Now, they didn't explicitly say that (officially, the party said that the colours are taken from the province's flag), although I have a hard time believing that's just a coincidence given A. The fact that "progressive" is in red and "conservative" is in blue; and B. All Brown's talk of being an "inclusive" party that tries to be all things to all people (i.e. a big shift towards Red Toryism -- :().

Now, if that wasn't their intention, that's some pretty horrible oversight and brand confusion on their part.

The new PC is passable but that wordmark is just bad...

On the new PC...I noticed the "Progressive" part being red too, but really? I don't blame them. Liberal dominance at the ballot box seems to be a clear indication that the PC Party in Ontario needs to drift to a more economically conservative/socially liberal direction. And hey, Red Toryism was the guiding principal of the Canadian conservative movement as a whole until the rise of the Reform Party. So it's not like it's alien territory for the Ontario Tories.

On 3/20/2016 at 5:44 PM, Dexter Morgan said:

What the heck is a Progressive Conservative, are they just trying to confuse people?

Hliariously, the abbreviation - PC - is also rather apt, as I can only imagine that progressive conservatism is by all accounts a politically-correct term.  

UyDgMWP.jpg

On March 19, 2016 at 2:51 PM, Ice_Cap said:

On the new PC...I noticed the "Progressive" part being red too, but really? I don't blame them. Liberal dominance at the ballot box seems to be a clear indication that the PC Party in Ontario needs to drift to a more economically conservative/socially liberal direction. And hey, Red Toryism was the guiding principal of the Canadian conservative movement as a whole until the rise of the Reform Party. So it's not like it's alien territory for the Ontario Tories.

There's no question that, after four straight election losses, the PCs will have to move closer to the centre if they want to appear as a viable option to voters. So, from a policy perspective, it makes a lot of sense for them to take a step closer to the Liberals. But from a branding perspective? To incorporate elements of your adversary's branding -- which you will no doubt start attacking come 2018 -- into yours makes little to no sense. Look at the GOP. Realistically, they're going to have to take a step to the left economically and two steps to the left socially if they want to appeal to more than just their shrinking base. Whenever that day comes, I'm sure we'll see a new generation of Republicans talking about a new era for the party and maybe some refreshed branding to go along with it. But I'm not expecting any future candidates to place a greater emphasis on blue in their/the party's official branding as a result.

On 2016-03-21 at 11:11 AM, pianoknight said:

Hliariously, the abbreviation - PC - is also rather apt, as I can only imagine that progressive conservatism is by all accounts a politically-correct term.  

Ok Americans, here's some Canadian political history.

The OG Conservative Party of Canada elected John Bracken as their party leader in 1942. Bracken was an out-there choice for the Tories (slang for "conservative" in Commonwealth nations). They had traditionally built their base in Protestant Ontario. A string of defeats to William L. McKenzie King's Liberals had left the party reeling, however, and they were looking to expand their electoral support.

King's Liberals had, up until the Great Depression, relied on an alliance among Quebec and Western voters to win elections. King sacrificed the Western wing of the party to shore up support in Quebec during the Depression, which left many Western Canadians disillusioned with the Liberal brand. Bracken was one such Westerner, a member of the Progressive Party of Manitoba.

The Tories looked to make inroads in the western provinces to capitalize on the Liberal collapse. Bracken was popular, and so he was approached by the Conservative Party to stand as party leader in 1942. He agreed, bringing many former Progressives into the Conservative Party with him. One of his conditions for taking the role was that the party had to change its name to the Progressive Conservative Party. Or PC Party, for short.

Now that has nothing to do with "political correctness." And the marriage of Progressive Party voters to the Tory base wasn't that out there either. See, there's a strain of conservative political theory that;s called "Red Toryism" in Canada. In the UK it's called "One Nation Conservatism." In the US its adherents are called "Rockefeller Republicans." The idea is the nation is, well, one whole unit. From the top down, everyone is interconnected. So it falls on those with money and power to use their privileges in ways to benefit as much people as possible. This stands in stark contrast to neoconservatism, which is highly individualistic.

Red Toryism was the dominating philosophy of the PC Party until a wing of western neoconservatives broke off, forming the Reform Party in the late 80s. This split the conservative movement in Canada, mostly along east-west lines. The two sides reunited in 2003 when the Progressive Conservatives and the Alliance (the Reform Party's successor) merged to form the new "Conservative Party of Canada."

Now provincial parties in Canada are separate entities from national parties, but many follow the lead of the national counterparts. Provincial Conservative Parties all adopted the "Progressive Conservative" label in 1942. The Reform Party (and later the Alliance) tried to establish provincial wings too, but they failed to gain much traction. So while the national PC and Alliance parties merged to form the new Conservative Party? The provincial parties saw no need to merge. The lack of success for Reform/Alliance provincial parties left them as non-entities, while the PC brand remained strong. So they kept it.

[/HistoryLesson]

Archived