NHLru Project

JCRGraphix

I've been extremely busy with my move from Korea to upstate New York, and my external hard drive got packed with the wrong stuff, so I have to wait for it to show up before I can continue my Molson Cup project. Also, while I was out, I found out I won a Creamer for Most Improved Artist! Thanks for whoever nominated and voted. It's a heck of an honor!

I've been doing a lot of paid jobs for some sports teams in the US, Canada, and Korea, but I actually managed to find some time to do concept work. I'm currently working on my Russian language skills, so I wanted to do something Russian, and I got the idea to redo the NHL as a Russian league with Russian style uniforms and team names.

Up first we have:

Монреаль Канадиенс

Montreal Canadiens

For this design, I wanted to keep with the tradition of the Canadiens while still getting that Russian look. The logo is obviously based on the Canadiens logo with the K for Канадиенс and the Ж for Жители (Zhiteli) which is the closest Russian translation of Les Habitants.

1.png2.png3.png

Topoнтo Meйпл Лифc
Toronto Maple Leafs
For this design, I decided to go more European with the logo and jersey design. The jersey design is based on previous Maple Leafs' uniforms combined with those of Dynamo Moscow.
1.png
2.png
3.png

cool idea. Also, welcome to the states!

Thanks! It's good to be back.

Монреаль Канадиенс

Montreal Canadiens

For this design, I wanted to keep with the tradition of the Canadiens while still getting that Russian look. The logo is obviously based on the Canadiens logo with the K for Канадиенс and the Ж for Жители (Zhiteli) which is the closest Russian translation of Les Habitants.

This is an original concept, which you are executing well. I do have a quibble about this Montréal design, however. The H in the famous CH of the Canadiens logo stands for Hockey (Club de Hockey Canadien), not Habitants. Therefore, to stay true to your apparent intent, the inside initial should be х for хоккей (Hockey). This would not change your basic design for the Russified logo much,with just х rather than ж.

I look forward to more of this fine work.

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

Монреаль Канадиенс

Montreal Canadiens

This is an original concept, which you are executing well. I do have a quibble about this Montréal design, however. The H in the famous CH of the Canadiens logo stands for Hockey (Club de Hockey Canadien), not Habitants. Therefore, to stay true to your apparent intent, the inside initial should be х for хоккей (Hockey). This would not change your basic design for the Russified logo much,with just х rather than ж.

I look forward to more of this fine work.

Thanks for the feedback! I am aware that the H stands for hockey, however, and I know this is a silly thing, the ж has a more Russian look to it than the x even though it would be more correct. Good catch though!

One thing I might suggest if you do more teams is that for the New York Rangers you keep the diagonal Rangers or replace it with the current SKA St.Petersburg style jersey(Who's white jersey is basically the Rangers away jersey with except with ads and St.Petersburg written in Russian going diagonal in place of where Rangers would be)

Бостон Брюинз

Boston Bruins

For this design, I went for a more fierce animal logo like some of the teams in the KHL. The jerseys are based on the pre-edge, pre-late 90s Bruins jerseys.

1.png

2.png

3.png

Чикаго Блэкхокс

Chicago Blackhawks

For this design, I wanted a very KHL looking logo. The logo features traditional Sauk battle axes as well as a Sauk headress since Chief Black Hawk was Sauk. The 5 stars are taken from the Chicago flag and represent the Blackhawks' 5 Stanley Cups.

1.png

2.png

3.png

I really like how you tied it all into the Sauk. Trying to brush up on my Cyrillic, but shouldn't Toews' read Тоешс?

Not quite. W becomes B or our V. It's pretty much a phonetic transliteration. Also, ш is the letter for Sh. Thanks for the feedback.

Archived