Michigan Athletic Department email survey results in overwhelming support for Nike

I think a lot of yall will be interested in this, especially in light of Adidas planning to bow out from the NBA. I know as a U-M alum I'd love for Michigan to go back to Nike. I wouldn't mind Under Armour either, but it would be a little weird following the same path as Notre Dame (the only question would be whether it's more weird to join the same manufacturer that Ohio State and Michigan State are with).

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Glad to hear another Adidas school could be potentially gone.

But weird having the same manufacturer as Ohio State and Michigan State? There is NOTHING weird about that, at all. It literally has no bearing on anything, not should it.

Adidas needs to at least leave the Power 5 conferences if not all of FBS. Nike is FAR from perfect but they are so far superior. I understand it's a money thing, but Michigan shouldn't have ever left Nike.

I don't get the OSU/MSU comment...they and UM were all under the Swoosh umbrella for a decade (can't remember when Sparty jumped from Reebok) until UM joined the three stripes, which outfitted rival ND at the time. UM cares about how their kids feel and subsequently perform, not of the wellbeing of those at other institutions.

If Michigan doesn't want Nike solely for the reason that Ohio State and Michigan State wear Nike, then college rivalries have reached a new low.

In the end, the athletic supplier is a decision based on money.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I don't get the OSU/MSU comment...they and UM were all under the Swoosh umbrella for a decade (can't remember when Sparty jumped from Reebok) until UM joined the three stripes, which outfitted rival ND at the time. UM cares about how their kids feel and subsequently perform, not of the wellbeing of those at other institutions.

Michigan State switched to Nike in 2000-01, according to their student newspaper.

Adidas has been quite respectful of the Badgers' traditional, dignified identity...at least moreso than they have for other schools.

If Nike gets my Badgers, I am gonna need a Melchizedek bottle of something...

bYhYmxh.png

Adidas has been quite respectful of the Badgers' traditional, dignified identity...at least moreso than they have for other schools.

Adidas has been OK. A couple of the one-offs have been pretty bad. But overall football and hockey have been pretty much left alone. My biggest beef is with basketball...too much black trim, the fat Adidas number font. Nothing atrocious but I'd rather they be red and white only and with a more basic font. Actually the current (regular season; not postseason) uniforms are decent. Nothing outlandish and the black is minimal...just the numbers bug me. The worst basketball uniforms were early in the Reebok days.

So, yeah, I'd take the continued Adidas treatment. Though if they do make a change, hopefully they'll continue to ask the supplier to stay basic.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Adidas has been OK. A couple of the one-offs have been pretty bad. But overall football and hockey have been pretty much left alone. My biggest beef is with basketball...too much black trim, the fat Adidas number font. Nothing atrocious but I'd rather they be red and white only and with a more basic font. Actually the current (regular season; not postseason) uniforms are decent. Nothing outlandish and the black is minimal...just the numbers bug me. The worst basketball uniforms were early in the Reebok days.

So, yeah, I'd take the continued Adidas treatment. Though if they do make a change, hopefully they'll continue to ask the supplier to stay basic.

The Aachen Bold numbers just never looked good on Wisconsin's basketball numbers. If they used regular block, like the football unis, the bball unis would be pretty nice.

Baylor used to have the same problem (they used Aachen Bold for a long time) but recently switched to regular block and it's a huge upgrade.

One of the biggest problems with Aachen Bold is Maryland widely used that font for a long time, then it started creeping to the NBA (Nuggets) and other schools.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

As a Wolverines fan, it scares me to think what Nike might try to do with Michigan, having seen what they've done to other schools in recent years. Under Armour could look to make a splash by signing an elite school to their roster, and I like what they've done with Maryland, and they kept it classy with Notre Dame, proving that they know how to respect tradition along with innovation. Adidas has done well for Michigan IMO, other than a few goofy basketball uniforms (Zubaz!) but I don't expect them to re-sign.

As a Wolverines fan, it scares me to think what Nike might try to do with Michigan, having seen what they've done to other schools in recent years. Under Armour could look to make a splash by signing an elite school to their roster, and I like what they've done with Maryland, and they kept it classy with Notre Dame, proving that they know how to respect tradition along with innovation. Adidas has done well for Michigan IMO, other than a few goofy basketball uniforms (Zubaz!) but I don't expect them to re-sign.

Really?

I can think of two football uniforms off the top of my head that were downright terrible.

The maize numbers were hard to read:

12061859-standard.jpg

And these ones that looked like bumblebees paired with white pants, which was very unusual to see Michigan in:

oppositeutl_thumb2.jpg

The difference between Nike and Adidas in terms of college athletics is the difference between getting punched in the nuts and getting kicked in the nuts. I'll take Nike, though. Adidas comes across as a cheaper brand, their uniforms look like they fit worse, and that tiretread pattern is a joke. Nike's put out some ugly things, but their construction looks solid.

Also, what Adidas has done to UCLA in both football and basketball is a crime. I'm not a Bruins fan, but I will be legitimately real-life happy the day UCLA moves to a different supplier.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Really?

[left out for the sake of space]

these ones that looked like bumblebees paired with white pants, which was very unusual to see Michigan in:

oppositeutl_thumb2.jpg

I hated from the get-go Adidas's attempt to mix up our look by allegedly bringing "back" design elements that some teams in the 1890s may or may not have worn...

091011-AJC-SPO-football-Michigan-vs-Notr

As if this didn't sound ill-conceived enough for a team with an incredibly simple traditional iconic look of plain navy home and away white jerseys over maize pants (with various sleeve logos/numbers and a period of helmet numbers), Adidas decided these fauxback bumblebee stripes would be the go-to design element for each one-off they made for us, save for the one uniform I have to give Adidas some props for:

Denard+Robinson+Allstate+Sugar+Bowl+Mich

The font looks wonky with the navy numbers appearing too thin in relation to the maize outline and the block M on the chest is unnecessary clutter, but the sleeve stripes were such a great look that I think a majority of fans support it becoming a part of the regular uniform (doesn't hurt that we won this game, the 2012 Sugar Bowl, in them, for our last memory of Michigan football success).

But for some reason, Adidas kept bringing back the bumblebee stripes, such as in the pic I quoted and then this Under the Lights travesty (in this case, as a numeral pattern):

devin-funchess-ncaa-football-penn-state-

And as if the white on white look in the quoted pic wasn't bad enough, they gave us blue on blue with this one.

Another annoying trend that Adidas's one-offs for us had were yokes (tire tread template above notwithstanding), which leads me to the last remaining alt, from the 2012 Cowboy Classic:

BamaMich1GC763.jpg

I think this look is actually the least egregious other than the Sugar Bowl (2012 was our last good year), but the color balance still seems thrown off, not to mention a yoke just has nothing to do with Michigan football.

It's funny how Dave Brandon saying we'd do one-offs every year only lasted for 2011 and 2012, and while we've seen them since with that blue on blue last season, it seems like even Brandon realized how much of a mess it was (despite reiterating all the time how they were a success and that the student-athletes and fans all loved them).

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

If this is true only four teams are left on the list of teams that look good with adidas

Mississippi State

Wisconsin

Texas A&M

Nebraska

Well, I'll have to disagree with you there. They look traditional-ish, but Adidas as absolutely butchered the sleeve stripes for Nebraska and Wisconsin's numbers are awkwardly stretched over the corner of the shoulders. And that's before you even get to the distorted pants stripes.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived