New mothership logo coming Monday, March 30

nash61

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonderful!

I like the change, but something about the connection of the star and the leaf on the left side (looking at it perspective) is off. It looks like the star has another point starting that doesn't line up with the other side.

Untitled_zpswluzzlpu.png

This part. The extra point that comes from the the separation line between the leaf and the star not lining up with point on the star.

Like so?
CCSLC.png

Or the line of demarcation could have been rotated counter-clockwise to the top point of the leaf and the bottom leg of the star. I think that would have ridded us of the star mutation.

But I like the change. Is the logo on the hat going to be that small? The logo on the gray shirt looks massive.

Yeah, that bugs me. It creates an unbalanced star.

I was thinking the same thing. But now that I've seen both versions, I could tell that it looks better with double slashes.

It balances the logo out better, and it was a good call, even if that extra point is not part of a regular star.

Nice! The new logo is a definite upgrade. Great work!

The little hook thing on the bottom-left of the star is a bit awkward at first glance but it makes sense when you see it balanced out on the top-right portion of the maple leaf side.

It bothered me at first when it was pointed out and I was staring at it, but seeing the overall big picture changed my mind.

SfUHZr.png

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Wonderful!

I was thinking the same thing. But now that I've seen both versions, I could tell that it looks better with double slashes.

It balances the logo out better, and it was a good call, even if that extra point is not part of a regular star.

I agree. Beat me to it.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

The little hook thing on the bottom-left of the star is a bit awkward at first glance but it makes sense when you see it balanced out on the top-right portion of the maple leaf side.

It bothered me at first when it was pointed out and I was staring at it, but seeing the overall big picture changed my mind.

SfUHZr.png

It bugs me that the angle they (pointlessly) added to the star side isn't the same as the one from the maple leaf side. I mean, if you're going to feign balance in an asymmetrical design, actually make it balance?

Wonderful!

I like the change, but something about the connection of the star and the leaf on the left side (looking at it perspective) is off. It looks like the star has another point starting that doesn't line up with the other side.

Untitled_zpswluzzlpu.png

This part. The extra point that comes from the the separation line between the leaf and the star not lining up with point on the star.

Like so?

CCSLC.png

Or the line of demarcation could have been rotated counter-clockwise to the top point of the leaf and the bottom leg of the star. I think that would have ridded us of the star mutation.

But I like the change. Is the logo on the hat going to be that small? The logo on the gray shirt looks massive.

Yeah, that bugs me. It creates an unbalanced star.

I instantly noticed how that extra jagged point in the bottom left portion of the leaf-star technically shouldn't be there because leafs don't have that part and neither do stars. I actually circled it on the new logo and made a super long forum post about it that I probably spent more than an hour on. About 30 seconds after I posted it, it disappeared and I had no idea why. Now I know that forum moderators are constantly looking at new threads to prevent congestion of the boards with multiple threads about the same topic. I had to figure this out on my own after I got a warning point for apparently no reason. I thought my posts weren't appearing in the forum due to a glitch but they were actually being deleted by a moderator if it was too similar to an existing post, or they were being moved to the appropriate thread that already existed.

Anyway, here is what I originally wrote about the new SportsLogos.net logo in my thread:

"What is that extra jagged point sticking out to the bottom left? It can't be part of the leaf because maple leafs don't look like that and it can't be part of the star either for obvious reasons. So why is it there? I think it's there because the designer wanted to retain the 45 degree diagonal line between the leaf and star. The 45 degree angled line of separation works in the top right as it starts exactly on one of the points of the leaf but when you draw the 45 degree diagonal line down to the other side there were no anchor points to connect it to. So the designer was stuck with a problem and it seems like the only way to solve it and retain the 45 degree diagonal line was to invent a design element that didn't exist. I guess this extra jagged point balances out the top right corner but it shouldn't be there because it isn't part of the leaf and isn't part of the star. So what exactly do you call this invention? I have no idea but I think it's there due to artistic license. Something needed to be there to balance the design out, and that's why it's there, plain and simple.

Before you think I am questioning the very logo of the forum I am posting on, let me just say that I *LOVE* this new logo. I think it is A MILLION times better than the old logo. I love the new logo's simplicity, it's use of only three colors, and the fact that it is a roundel. I think the leaf-star by itself would work great as an icon. It is very graphic and bold. Logos that are simple with only a couple colors are often the best logos because they stand out as abstract shapes, can be reproduced easily, and still look bold when reduced to grayscale. They also can easily be reduced to black shapes on a white background which is pretty much impoossible to do with more complex modern logos. However it seems like we are moving away from complex sports logos. The new Winnipeg Jets, the Brooklyn Nets, and now this new SportsLogos.net logo are all evidence of the new / current trend of simpler logos. I really like them because even though they look more modern, at the same time they are throwbacks to logos created in the late 60's and throughout the 70's. Bold, simplified, graphic shapes that just pop off a white background. Those are the kind of logos all the legendary graphic designers created back then and many of them are still in use today. So I absolutely LOVE this new SportsLogos.net logo but I'm just curious about that extra jagged point in the bottom left portion. I'd love to hear an official explanation for it."

Will take a bit of getting used to, but overall it's attractive in its simplicity.

It didn't take me too long. I'm already very accustomed to the new logo.

And the simplicity of the new logo is incredibly soothing to the eyes. The old logo, while still a decent design for it's time, had too many elements crammed into each other, and had 3 outlines.

logo-evolution.png

*** And one more thing I noticed. I see looking back at the old logo that the inner star within the maple leaf was red, and the leaf iself on the outer part was blue. That's actually a mistake 'cause obviously maple leaves are supposed to be red because Canada, but it's something that I don't think many people noticed or ever pointed the finger at. The logo got away with that sorta error for all this time. :) But I'm glad the new logo fixed up that particular problem.

SfUHZr.png

It bugs me that the angle they (pointlessly) added to the star side isn't the same as the one from the maple leaf side. I mean, if you're going to feign balance in an asymmetrical design, actually make it balance?

It is still balancing out the design, at least in my eyes. I don't think it needs to be perfectly symmetrical for balance to occur and it wouldn't fit the design if these angles were.

I flipped the green line to use the same angle, and this is what I got out of it:

RKn1TT.png

Then if you were to adjust the other side, the maple leaf becomes an indeterminable red thing.

I'm quickly getting used to it but I think the actual issue isn't necessarily the added notch on the star, but adding the fact that the right side of the leaf part isn't symmetric with the left side. I understand trying to balance it out but it is still asymmetric due to its 45 degree split. I like it, but I think it can/should be improved before mass production...

But on the other hand, you cant please everyone so.... yep

also, I don't think you need that circle around it - further hindering the symmetric look.

I like it. I think its a lot more professional looking. I like that they balanced the maple leaf and the star in a different way. It reminds me a lot of the new MLS logo. The diagonal line/breakpoint whatever mimics that of the MLS logo.

Its a nice update. My only grip would be to try and match the top of the maple leaf with the bottom of the star better. There is no need for that little extra red on the maple leaf on the top right. Nor is there a need for the double point on the bottom left of the star. I think those should just cleanly transition into each other as opposed to doing the more rigid cut line and match. Does that make sense?

I'm quickly getting used to it but I think the actual issue isn't necessarily the added notch on the star, but adding the fact that the right side of the leaf part isn't symmetric with the left side. I understand trying to balance it out but it is still asymmetric due to its 45 degree split. I like it, but I think it can/should be improved before mass production...

But on the other hand, you cant please everyone so.... yep

also, I don't think you need that circle around it - further hindering the symmetric look.

This.

The asymmetry makes it feel unfinished, and I'm not keen on the extension of the slash.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived