New mothership logo coming Monday, March 30

nash61

It appears the majority of people who do like the new logo as is are the veterans of the site - not saying there's something fishy going on, just an observance.

This cracked me up. Let's say for a second that the "veterans" are doing something "fishy." What exactly would they be doing?

He's saying that the reason you're all defending the logo so vehemently is because you've been around for a long time and you feel represented by the site. It's just like how fans of a team will defend their team's mediocre look tooth and nail.

Is it the worst logo on the planet? No. But it definitely has some serious problems that people are claiming to be good simply because it's the design that Chris chose.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears the majority of people who do like the new logo as is are the veterans of the site - not saying there's something fishy going on, just an observance.

This cracked me up. Let's say for a second that the "veterans" are doing something "fishy." What exactly would they be doing?

He's saying that the reason you're all defending the logo so vehemently is because you've been around for a long time and you feel represented by the site. It's just like how fans of a team will defend their team's mediocre look tooth and nail.

Is it the worst logo on the planet? No. But it definitely has some serious problems that people are claiming to be good simply because it's the design that Chris chose.

No, I actually like it on it's merit. Period.

If you take a look around this place, I think you'll find that us "veterans" rarely agree on anything. Especially logos.

BB52Big.jpg

No, I actually like it on it's merit. Period.

If you take a look around this place, I think you'll find that us "veterans" rarely agree on anything. Especially logos.

Yeah I don't like it because Chris chose it. I'm not being a brown-noser.

I like it because it's legitimately better than what it's replacing, and because a lot of thought clearly went into it. I don't think it has "serious" problems. Not one of the "fixes" has been an improvement. Not one.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I like it because it's legitimately better than what it's replacing, and because a lot of thought clearly went into it. I don't think it has "serious" problems. Not one of the "fixes" has been an improvement. Not one.

This.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

This.

Yup.

EDIT: Also, what would "veterans" possibly have to gain by "claiming it's good simply because it's the design Chris chose." Does the guy think we would get extra internet points or something? The more I think about it, the more I think that the "veterans like it because they're brown nosers" argument just might be one of the dumbest "theories" ever posited on these here boards. And that's saying something, folks.

Double secret probation EDIT: And I didn't drop 25 bucks on a hat just because I thought it might make Chris happy.

BB52Big.jpg

This.

Yup.

EDIT: Also, what would "veterans" possibly have to gain by "claiming it's good simply because it's the design Chris chose." Does the guy think we would get extra internet points or something? The more I think about it, the more I think that the "veterans like it because they're brown nosers" argument just might be one of the dumbest "theories" ever posited on these here boards. And that's saying something, folks.

Double secret probation EDIT: And I didn't drop 25 bucks on a hat just because I thought it might make Chris happy.

Ok, I should clarify:

The argument isn't that you guys are brown-nosers. The argument is that you guys are all extremely invested in this site, similarly to how people are invested in their sports teams. The fact you are spending $25 dollars to wear the logo supports that. I wouldn't expect the average person to shell out that much for just any website's logo.

I didn't mean to make the point that you guys were just saying you liked it because it's Chris' logo (poor wording choice on my part), I meant that you legitimately liked it, that it did represent a kind of improvement (which I agree with), and that you are inherently willing to overlook the problems that other people see.

Just look at any of the threads involving the Jaguars or the Bucs. The guys who defend those uniforms are almost always fans of the team. As hard as it is to believe, they like those jerseys on merit, and their comments are nearly identical to your comments about how "the serious problems that others see aren't actually serious problems, and it's an improvement."

Now, there's nothing actually wrong with any of this. Honestly, it isn't worth a giant blowup or people getting defensive about. I'm not trying to change your minds, you love the logo, others (including myself) aren't as big of fans. However, I don't think it's unreasonable or "one of the dumbest theories ever" to wonder if people like a logo for a reason other than it being "good" because they have a legitimate emotional attachment to the site, even if that reason is implicit.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

You do get homers who will defend terrible new looks for their teams, but this has never applied in my case. I hate the Chargers' current uniform. I'm probably harder on the look then most people, because I want the team to look good.

So I'm not saying the new logo is great because I want to suck up to Chris, or because I'm invested in the site. I'm saying I like it because I think it looks great. Better then any of the alternate takes that have been posted. You can try to rationalize this however you want, but at the end of the day you're simply trying to find a way to rationalize a personal preference. Why do I like the new logo? I think it looks neat. That's really all there is to it.

You do get homers who will defend terrible new looks for their teams, but this has never applied in my case. I hate the Chargers' current uniform. I'm probably harder on the look then most people, because I want the team to look good.

So I'm not saying the new logo is great because I want to suck up to Chris, or because I'm invested in the site. I'm saying I like it because I think it looks great. Better then any of the alternate takes that have been posted. You can try to rationalize this however you want, but at the end of the day you're simply trying to find a way to rationalize a personal preference. Why do I like the new logo? I think it looks neat. That's really all there is to it.

What he said. Especially the bolded part.

BB52Big.jpg

Gotcha, sorry for trying to clarify my interpretation of another member's perfectly legitimate point after you guys decided to make fun of him for it.

I just think it's funny that some people assume that there's some kind of cabal or hive-minded made up of "veterans." I mean we can't even agree on what colour we prefer for the Browns' facemask.

EDIT- As far as the member we're "making fun of"? He liked the post I made re: the whole Majestic XII thing. So I guess he wasn't that upset. At least not by anything I posted.

Gotcha, sorry for trying to clarify my interpretation of another member's perfectly legitimate point after you guys decided to make fun of him for it.

FWIW, if we were making fun of anyone, it was you. The only things we said to the other guy were that we'd have nothing to gain by liking the new logo and we made a reference to the M-XII. I thought his original comment was funny and I said so. Sue me.

Step down off your high horse for a second and think about what was being suggested; veteran members were in cahoots "defending" a logo because we're "invested" in this site. Like we were marching in lockstep* out of blind loyalty. No offense, but that is as ridiculous as it is humorous. As Ice_Cap and I have pointed out, getting "veterans" to agree on anything around here is only slightly less difficult than getting 500 cats to march in a parade.

All that aside, if anyone should be offended here, it should be us. You were the one who totally dismissed our opinions on the new logo. B)

*Yeah, I realize you clarified your position on the matter. I'm referring to what took place before that.

BB52Big.jpg

I was never serious on that comment, I hope everyone knows that. I didn't expect someone to take my observation and blow it up into some "what he is saying is" because what I'm saying is that a lot of the people who like it are the Veterans of the site. That's all.

I think everyone can agree - or 90% - that the new logo that Chris chose is better than the previous and thats all that really matters. The logo doesn't have to be perfect in your own opinion - it isn't perfect to me - but I can live with it simply on the fact that it isn't a bad logo and it is better than the previous. Can we leave it at that? You can't please everyone but I think it does enough to satisfy the majority to some degree.

btw, no one is making fun of me because the comment was a light joke, hence why I liked Ice Cap's comment about "they're onto us" or something of that nature.

As Ice_Cap and I have pointed out, getting "veterans" to agree on anything around here is only slightly less difficult than getting 500 cats to march in a parade. B)

2czzkwn.jpg

Especially if they are sleeping like this one is.

Acts 16:31 - And they replied: "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved, you and your household."

John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

John 14:6 - Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me."

Ok, so I misinterpreted your meaning behind what you said. I'm willing to admit I was wrong there. And though I don't think my analysis is entirely wrong, I'll concede this one to the veterans.

However:

FWIW, if we were making fun of anyone, it was you. The only things we said to the other guy were that we'd have nothing to gain by liking the new logo and we made a reference to the M-XII. I thought his original comment was funny and I said so. Sue me.

Step down off your high horse for a second and think about what was being suggested; veteran members were in cahoots "defending" a logo because we're "invested" in this site. Like we were marching in lockstep* out of blind loyalty. No offense, but that is as ridiculous as it is humorous. As Ice_Cap and I have pointed out, getting "veterans" to agree on anything around here is only slightly less difficult than getting 500 cats to march in a parade.

All that aside, if anyone should be offended here, it should be us. You were the one who totally dismissed our opinions on the new logo. B)

*Yeah, I realize you clarified your position on the matter. I'm referring to what took place before that.

Just a couple of points here:

1) The only people who ever made a reference to "the veterans grouping together" were you and IceCap. You can look back, and I never once referred to the veterans as any more than "you guys."Even after the first post, the only references to the veterans "acting in lockstep" came from your post and quotes of your post.

You were the one who suggested that I was suggesting there was some sort of conspiracy. Your interpretations based on assumptions of words that I never typed, rather the words (and pictures) that you and IceCap typed.

2) I actually pointed out specifically that I wasn't disregarding your opinions. Once again, I ask that you stop willfully twisting the things I say around to make your argument.

Either way, there's probably no real reason to debate this anymore within the thread. It's wasting everyone else's time. However, I'm willing to continue the dialogue in PMs if you think there are any more points to make to come to an understanding.

Based on your user name this is the voice I read your posts in:

20a3668f5e41172f613551aa4e8d0fe5911925d8

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived