University of Washington Logo Question

benpc21

Does anyone know the story behind the University of Washington logo featured on both the jacket and hat of Bob Ernst? I graduated from UW and would see the logo from time to time, but it never really seemed official and I never really cared for it. I saw this picture the other day and while it doesn't beat the classic W, I'd love to know more about it if anyone knows what the story is? I wouldn't mind seeing on some vintage merch if there is a good history to it.

uwoldlogo_zpsxmqyc1nx.jpg

SEAsig.png

Can't find an example in a rudimentary search, but isn't that logo on some of the academic buildings? I thought it was on Suzzallo, but I couldn't find anything.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

It's a shame no else at least uses the mark (if not the colors). I understand wanting to maintain consistency, but it is a great looking logo (at least I think it is since I'm a sucker for old school interlocking monograms).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I like the logo but I have a question, too. Why would someone who works in the UW athletic department have an Oregon Ducks football signature?

gordie likely went to Oregon but works in Seattle. Or something similar. :)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I like the logo but I have a question, too. Why would someone who works in the UW athletic department have an Oregon Ducks football signature?

gordie likely went to Oregon but works in Seattle. Or something similar. :)

Bingo.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Thanks for the info, I figured there had to be some sort of story to it. Gordie, do you know when the logo was used and if it was an athletic mark or not? I've never seen the time period it was used for. I'd love to see it in the current colors on a hat or t-shirt.

SEAsig.png

I think it has been a while. I summoned him via Facebook since I figured he would have better information than anyone.

Archived