New name and logo for San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate has been unofficially unveiled/leaked.

The new name and logo for San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate has been unofficially unveiled/leaked. Welcome the San Jose Barracuda.

news via article from Biz Journals

new-logo_900xx500-333-0-6_zpsoamspufe.jp

According to a report in the Silicon Valley Business Journal, the San Jose Sharks have decided on a name for their American League farm team in the new Pacific Division – and it has some bite.

In keeping with their parent team’s sea life connection, the AHL affiliate – which will debut along with the rest of the groundbreaking West Coast division next season – will be known as the San Jose Barracuda. The name also fits nicely with Barracuda Networks, one of San Jose’s sponsors and one-half of a new multi-year “presenting sponsorship” deal with the team. An official announcement on the team name is expected later this week.

The Sharks’ AHL franchise is currently situated in Worcester, Mass., and is named after the NHL team. It will be one of six teams comprising the Pacific Division and will play out of the same SAP Center the Sharks do.

(Quote from The Hockey News article)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's worse than the singular name and logo is why they did it. One of the Sharks main sponsors is Barracuda Networks.

Both logo and singular name are nods to them in one of the worst cases of sponsor ass kissing I've ever seen in sports.

Barracuda_Logo_Color_Landscape.jpg

Sweet Jesus that is terrible. Singular name, goofy looking shark, same improperly-rendered stick from the parent club's logo, weird fins coming out of the wordmark. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

What?

It's a barracuda, not a shark. Two completely different animals.

jNTsTyQ.png

Sweet Jesus that is terrible. Singular name, goofy looking shark, same improperly-rendered stick from the parent club's logo, weird fins coming out of the wordmark. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

What?

It's a barracuda, not a shark. Two completely different animals.

Sue me. :P

Are there any other instances of a minor league squad playing in the parent club's venue?

Winnipeg's farm team is going to be sharing the MTS Centre with them next year. And didn't the Phantoms play in the Flyers rink?

Phantoms played across the street in the old Spectrum.

This is atrocious. It offends me as a logo fancier, a hockey fan, and a minor league sports fan. Awful in every sense.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Phantoms played across the street in the old Spectrum.

This is atrocious. It offends me as a logo fancier, a hockey fan, and a minor league sports fan. Awful in every sense.

Meanwhile the rest of the Western Division actually did quite well. Even the Flames managed to not completely :censored: it up.

240px-StocktonHeat.png231px-SanDiegoGullsAHL.png240px-OntarioReignAHL.png

and presumably the AHL Condors will be something along the lines of their current ECHL logo...

222px-Bakersfield_Condors_logo.svg.png

I disagree, the Reign completely shat the bed on that.

I mean I guess they could have gone the ECHL modification route like the Gulls did...

292px-Ontario_Reign_Logo.svg.png

But at least what they did go with wasn't cartoony goofy and a tech company knockoff like some teams. But I agree it's not the best. But it's also not offensive. Unless the Condors come out wow-ing I have to give the west to the Gulls. They took a so/so ECHL logo and really did a good job updating it.

What's worse than the singular name and logo is why they did it. One of the Sharks main sponsors is Barracuda Networks.

Both logo and singular name are nods to them in one of the worst cases of sponsor ass kissing I've ever seen in sports.

Barracuda_Logo_Color_Landscape.jpg

Trying to decide if this is better or worse than the New York Red Bulls. It's at least as bad.

The Arena League had the Miami Hooters and New Jersey Red Dogs. I'd say this is on a par with those. I am not being complimentary.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived