USBL--St. Paul Loons Posted (24/24)

dsaline97

It might look better if you removed the stitches, at least from the alternate. It would be a little less cluttered and highlight the gator more. Other than that it looks really good!

Yeah, it looked pretty empty without the stitches, and I think the colors make it pop fairly well. Here's the update looks like on the logo sheet and uniforms:

DVArNa7.png

xgwm4AW.png

Pj0XtlN.png

Thoughts?

spacer.png

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the beauty of the game hat.. Simple is easy to see from a distance, even if it's small, which is why so many teams just use a simple letter.. I like the letter to represent the location and a simple graphic to represent the nickname.. I think as a BP or even an alt, it would make a good looking cap that could easily mix nicely into the rotation

I see your point with the uniforms, but it needs Jacksonville somewhere in the logo, the way you have it now the team could be from anywhere

Personally, I disagree. I don't think there's much use creating a J-ville script if it isn't used on the uniforms, and from a logo standpoint, there are several teams whose primary logos don't incorporate the city name. (Phillies, Mets, Giants, Rays, Yankees to name a few)

That's the beauty of the game hat.. Simple is easy to see from a distance, even if it's small, which is why so many teams just use a simple letter.. I like the letter to represent the location and a simple graphic to represent the nickname.. I think as a BP or even an alt, it would make a good looking cap that could easily mix nicely into the rotation

I could see it being used as an occasional game hat, but not necessarily a regular in the rotation.

With that being said.....

spacer.png

32uvDGe.png

The Texas Lonestars have always been Texas’ team, no matter what city they resided in. They started in Dallas in 1953, where they won their first Branson Cup in 1955. After the 1973 season, the team packed up and headed west to El Paso, after ballpark negotiations stalled with the city of Dallas. El Paso promised a state of the art stadium, but that never came to fruition as the team struggled to gain support from corporations in the area, so the team relocated again after only two seasons, this time to Austin where they would stay for good. The Lonestars didn’t attract enormous crowds in their years in El Paso, so it seems they would have likely left town anyway. The team struggled on the field and in attendance over the next few decades, but finally had a resurgence at the turn of the century. Hugo Burns came over from Chicago in 1998 and finished out his career in the Lonestar State as the third baseman and leader of the team, winning the Branson Cup MVP award in both the 2003 and 2009 championship seasons. Burns retired after his second title, but Texas quickly replaced him by trading for Rene Lewis, another veteran. Two years later, the team won a championship behind Lewis and their long-time manager Gerald Chapman, who had been in the position since the early 1990s.

Recently, the Lonestars were in “win now” mode, and were successful with it--from 2009 to 2011, the USBL Championship Series featured Texas and Colorado, each alternating titles. But since then, the club has slid into the basement of the league and are trying to rebuild. Lewis and Chapman both retired in 2011, leaving behind a team with little potential and no big names. In 2012, the managed a sixth place finish in the American Division, but fell further to back-to-back last place finishes. 2015 doesn’t look like it will bring anything different for the Lonestars, but Doug Powell hopes to change that. The young second baseman is coming off an Offensive POY season (comparable to Silver Slugger) and figures to be an excellent trade candidate for teams needing a righty bat with pop, but his huge ego is a turn-off for a lot of clubs.

The Lonestars’ name was widely debated after it was announced in the 50s, being a plural name, even though a lonestar is a singular object. Their owner described his reasoning in a newspaper article: “We wanted a nickname that was representative of the great state of Texas, and we believe we did that. Naming the team after the state nickname accomplishes that.” Not all fans agree with it, but the team doesn’t seem like they’ll change, especially after their success in the past decade.

Visually, the Lonestars are another team who are close to being perfect but need a couple tweaks for that to happen. Texas added black as a primary color in 1998, and it is slowly being phased out. The only black remaining is on the belt and the dropshadows of the lettering, but many fans hope to see that eliminated as well. The primary logo depicts the state of Texas, as well as their flag, and is worn on the sleeve. They moved to a TL cap logo in the 1980s, replacing a standard T. The red accessories are commonly worn on day games, though they have made a few appearances at night as well. The other two alternates are worn based on the preference of the starting pitcher.

Lonestar Park was built in 1977 when the team moved from El Paso but has been well kept since then. The bleachers were totally rebuilt around home plate in 2005, removing the posts and the angular feel of the ballpark, which gave a modern feel. If the club continues to renovate, Lonestar Park could become one of the league’s historic buildings.

r0ZIwMU.png

ERJjeFa.png

jw3xLDX.png

afyJUI0.png

Jacksonville Gators < Texas Lonestars > Nashville Blues

spacer.png

I really like this, but it looks too similar to the Texas Rangers. Especially with the exact same five combos, the "Texas" on the home jersey, and the outlining and drop shadow.

But remember, the Rangers never existed...

Maybe just make Royal blue change to darken navy blue? Maybe that would avoid the similar to Texas Rangers' colors. but I liked putting a star on letter T. Overall i liked how it goes with the name Lonestars, it suited a Texas team well

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

Similar to the Rangers, yeah, but that doesn't bother me at all. I really like this set apart from the hats. Maybe just the regular T like they had in the 80s? Not sure, but overall I still really it!

I originally had a T, but I thought te TL and star gave a more unique approach. And since I don't have a Lonestars script (I tried it out, but it was too long and skinny to work), it incorporates the nickname as well.

Personally, I'm not concerned with the similarities to the Rangers. They don't exist here, and the colors are taken straight from the Texas flag (or pretty close). And if Texas gets another team in 2016, I want one to stand out and represent the flag.

spacer.png

Similar to the Rangers, yeah, but that doesn't bother me at all. I really like this set apart from the hats. Maybe just the regular T like they had in the 80s? Not sure, but overall I still really it!

I originally had a T, but I thought te TL and star gave a more unique approach. And since I don't have a Lonestars script (I tried it out, but it was too long and skinny to work), it incorporates the nickname as well.

Personally, I'm not concerned with the similarities to the Rangers. They don't exist here, and the colors are taken straight from the Texas flag (or pretty close). And if Texas gets another team in 2016, I want one to stand out and represent the flag.

If we know one thing about people from Texas, it's that they LOVE being from Texas. I think you did a fine job of capturing it!

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-15%20at%201.39.3

Archived