USBL--St. Paul Loons Posted (24/24)

dsaline97

Sorry it's been a while, I've moved into college and beginning to realize I should be productive to some extent. I have a draft of Washington that's ready to go but I'm not too confident about it so I'll hold off for a bit.

What is the template you use

Traced it from one around here.

For the minor league stuff. Curious what city criteria is there

Criteria? Whatever I think is good. That's pretty much how most things have been up to this point.
Ok just asking

Sorry, came off a little harsh. I may come here and look for suggestions on markets, but I'll save that for another day.

spacer.png

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry it's been a while, I've moved into college and beginning to realize I should be productive to some extent. I have a draft of Washington that's ready to go but I'm not too confident about it so I'll hold off for a bit.

What is the template you use

Traced it from one around here.

For the minor league stuff. Curious what city criteria is there

Criteria? Whatever I think is good. That's pretty much how most things have been up to this point.
Ok just asking

Sorry, came off a little harsh. I may come here and look for suggestions on markets, but I'll save that for another day.
Didn't come off harsh at all. If the time comes for suggestions I'll have my idea ready on standby

Any playoff logos?

Not this season, nope. I want to give the league itself new logos for 2016, so if this were real life there would be new playoff logos as well. I've started school so things are going slow. There hasn't been a whole lot of time to work on this, which hopefully will change soon. This isn't dead, I promise! I'm way too close to the end to let that happen.

spacer.png

Bump for comments on Florida.

Just seeing this today. Nice work on the Blue Herons logo. I know first hand how difficult capturing the look of that bird can be as I created a blue heron logo for my NCFA-FCS fantasy team here on the boards. The only thing about the bird that I think can be tweaked is the placement of the pupil in the eye. Having it at the very bottom of the eye just looks odd to me, like the bird is trying to look straight down at the ground. I know it's minor, but it's bothering me.

gYH2mW9.png

Bump for comments on Florida.

Just seeing this today. Nice work on the Blue Herons logo. I know first hand how difficult capturing the look of that bird can be as I created a blue heron logo for my NCFA-FCS fantasy team here on the boards. The only thing about the bird that I think can be tweaked is the placement of the pupil in the eye. Having it at the very bottom of the eye just looks odd to me, like the bird is trying to look straight down at the ground. I know it's minor, but it's bothering me.

I remember following that thread and being in awe of it. I didn't want to have it staring straight ahead, similar to yours. In that pose, the bird would almost seem unemotional or uninterested, if that makes sense. I honestly don't remember what my intent was, it's been too long since I've put much work into this series, haha. I'll definitely look into that, but now that I see it it does look like it's staring straight into the ground. Thanks for the critique!

spacer.png

I just now saw this thread and i'm in love but a couple things:

Grizzles sounds more like a Nor-Cal name than LA

San Jose is a city that takes a lot of pride in their fire department so maybe that could be a possible move for SF also if SF is staying Maybe use that Golden gate bridge gold/orange color

Also sidewinders actually have black spots on them maybe if you wanted to add that to the logo just to give it a little more something it might look good:

sidewinder.jpg

Also my last name is Tuttle so im really liking that Florida team :notworthy:

2eg6xaq.jpg16hsymw.jpg124zfop.jpg49ers_89.jpg

Here's the standings as of Monday. Boston was the first team to clinch a playoff berth on Saturday, and Iowa could be celebrating as well in a few days. Meanwhile in the American Division, the race is on between Pittsburgh, Omaha, St. Louis, Portland, and California. All are within 4 games of each other and only three of those teams will reach October. With only 16 games left, I'll attempt to provide another look or two at the standings before the regular season ends on the 23rd.

JbDwY8k.png

mDZPkdf.png

Washington will be up tomorrow morning, I double promise.

spacer.png

BFLCedP.png

Boston was given a second franchise in 1987 to see how baseball would fare with multiple teams in a city. This was about the time that the Masons were in their decades-long title drought, so everyone in the USBL headquarters thought this would pan out. The Boston Americans were supposed to bring life to a city that was losing interest in its first team and ignite a spark for those in the community. None of that happened, and the Americans are considered to be one of the biggest failures in sports. It took the team 7 years to finish anywhere higher than 19th in the league, and none of the high draft picks from that era panned out--none. Part of this was due to shoddy ownership and an even worse front office. Ron Doberts, a millionaire who knows essentially nothing about the sport, was the original owner and hired Pat Rice as his GM. Rice is most known for taking too long to make the number one overall selection in the 1989 draft, forfeiting the selection. Baseball in Boston was dead at the time; from 1989-1990, the Americans and Masons failed to combine for 5 million total fans. The Americans trudged along for another decade, until Doberts sold the team in 2000 and a group of investors made the purchase. Relocation had a shot of saving the team from contraction--there had been talks of folding along with the Loggers at the time--and Washington DC was picked out as the top target. Several conspiracy theories have surfaced that the Masons paid Doberts under the table to get the team out of Boston, either by relocation or by new ownership. The inkling of evidence is in the Washington Potomacs’ current uniform set: the socks are a recolor of the classic design used by the Masons for much of their existence, leading some to believe they took the design in retaliation.

The Washington Potomacs have no titles and, from the looks of their current roster, won’t be adding a Branson Cup to their trophy case for several years. The team’s third best player is currently in A-League ball and hasn’t even made his USBL debut yet. 1B Jim Mosley and LF Albert Romero are the first and second best players at their position, respectively. However, Romero is sidelined for the season with a broken kneecap and Mosley is 34 and doesn’t have much left in the tank. With these two stars unable to consistently produce, the Potomacs will be lucky if they don’t sink to the bottom of the river over the next two weeks.

They’re not America’s baseball team, but they certainly dress like it. The Potomacs are littered with patriotic imagery in their identity, from the color scheme sleeve patch to the alternate logo. They use the same font for their logos and numbers, which perhaps is gimmicky but is consistent nonetheless. Thirteen stars encircle the alternate logo, and thirteen stripes sit behind the US Capital building on both the primary and alternate. The cap logo contains the flag of the District of Columbia, and the sleeve patch shows crossed DC and colonial US flags. The front panelled hat is a top seller in the league and is beloved by the fanbase, despite some seeing it as dated and obnoxious. The arches under the wordmarks draw from both Memorial Bridge and the architecture of the District.

The Washington Coliseum has been the home for the Potomacs since they relocated and could remain that way for many years. The stadium was designed for both football and baseball on a full time basis, and is one of the better multi-purpose facilities in the nation. During baseball season, it is a pitcher’s haven, with small gaps and lots of foul territory. Pictured first is the baseball configuration, followed by football, then a combined view of both.

jqqpLpl.png

iWvrSTm.png

SnM9LCn.png

l7Mz5SU.png

00bqm8C.png

Lh31nfw.png

Florida Blue Herons < Washington Potomacs > Philadelphia Liberty

Thank you all for following and contributing to this project! I hope everyone enjoyed this project as much as I did. I’m relieved to have finished, but this series isn’t done. I have quite the list of things I need to accomplish in the USBL world:

• Scores, standings, and playoff updates

• Team updates

• 2016 rebrands

• A 4-team expansion

• League logo redesign

I may get into the minor leagues, but that’s not nearly as important at this point. Until then, cheers and thanks again!

spacer.png

I feel like the primary logo is too simple, of course I am VERY partial to navy over royal blue, plus navy just seems more USA than royal. Also on the field (football and both) the field cuts into the warning track. Is this intentional?

I feel like the primary logo is too simple, of course I am VERY partial to navy over royal blue, plus navy just seems more USA than royal. Also on the field (football and both) the field cuts into the warning track. Is this intentional?

What do you mean by that, I'd almost argue that it's fairly busy with several elements. And yes, that was intentional to have the field overhand a little bit. Sun Life used to do it, so that's where I drew it from.

spacer.png

Archived