USBL--St. Paul Loons Posted (24/24)

dsaline97

Well, this is going over better than I initially thought it would! I think I might darken the grey and lighten the gold a few shades for a little better contrast. Twolf, I think that'll help make the flag more pronounced on the red jersey. KittSmith, the wordmarks and embroidery would all be a shiny material, so it'd stand out better than you'd think. I suppose I could test out double outlines on the numbers. 

spacer.png

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, dsaline97 said:

Well, this is going over better than I initially thought it would! I think I might darken the grey and lighten the gold a few shades for a little better contrast. Twolf, I think that'll help make the flag more pronounced on the red jersey. KittSmith, the wordmarks and embroidery would all be a shiny material, so it'd stand out better than you'd think. I suppose I could test out double outlines on the numbers. 

Thanks for the explanation! 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

23 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Thanks for the explanation! 

No problem. I pictured it as an Angels-esque design, but hopefully with a little more contrast. That'll come when I modify the color scheme a bit. 

Just realized I started this thread a year ago today. Time sure flies, so thanks to everyone who's commented over the past year!

spacer.png

Here's a potential update for Brooklyn; it takes a ton of tedious work to update a color scheme so I'll just leave you with the uniforms.

9UgW5k4.png

GYkTEbg.png

And here's a little swatch to show the differences. It's pretty subtle, but everything looks a lot less dusty and the red stands out better as well.

6cQhwEm.png

spacer.png

p0Dp73N.png

The truth is, Texas is too big a market for only one professional club, and the USBL made this their second priority in expansion. Dallas and El Paso were both considered to join the Lonestars and have a second chance at the league, but neither city has shown considerably high television ratings in the past decade. Next up on their list was San Antonio, and although they’re only 80 miles from Austin, the market is plenty large enough to accommodate another team. The Lonestars have been in the top eight in terms of attendance per game, despite some poorer seasons. In this year’s expansion, the league has made a point to move into large cities, and with 1.5 million people, the Alamo City certainly lives up to that. The name Phantoms was selected to reference a charro, a Mexican cowboy known for wearing a dark suit, as well as the famous San Antonio Rodeo. While the use of a western cowboy may be stereotypical for the state of Texas and the southwest, the Phantoms are doing so in a very unique way.

San Antonio’s set revolves around a dark image and color scheme, as they become the first team in history to go with a charcoal grey road set. The charro appears as the cap logo and as the primary logo for the club, while an SA monogram wearing his hat stands as an alternate mark. The scripts are a hybrid between a cursive font and a western style, giving the club something unique to set themselves further from Texas. The custom number font also draws from this western style, tying the set together. Lastly, the trim on the sombrero acts as piping on the sleeves and pants, making the Phantoms one of the first teams to use a pattern in place of traditional piping.

River Walk Ballpark is situated just blocks from the Alamo in the heart of downtown San Antonio. It figures to be very productive for hitters with an expansive outfield in every direction. While it may not lead the league in home runs, extra base hits will clang off the walls like crazy, making a Phantoms game a fun place to visit. However, the club may not show much success in their first season in the USBL, and they could in all likelihood finish with the league’s worst record. David Tolbert has plenty of pop and figures to bat cleanup, and Derrick Salas and Jeff Ford figure to have some success as well, and Vincente Morales has potential to be an elite closer, but for the time being, the Phantoms have minor league level talent at a big league ballpark. While that’s expected for a brand new franchise, San Antonio will likely have the roughest start on the field of the bunch.

yKRD3Hb.png

4wGoEzm.png8ZIWZKN.png

3fEENOC.png

Brooklyn Privateers  <  San Antonio Phantoms  >  St. Paul Loons

spacer.png

I have been following this thread for a while, just never seem to comment on it. This latest update with San Antonio is awesome! I love the black and purple scheme. I personally like the secondary logo better than the primary and think the secondary would look better on the hat. But thats just my opinion. Great job!

imperialssignature_by_officerpain138-dc2

4 hours ago, Spanna65 said:

The Phantoms primary/cap logo to me looks like it needs a white stroke to make it pop. It blends into the background a bit much, but it could just be my phone.

They don't use white in the set other than as the home uniform's base color. Grey is a possibility. I'm going back and forth between it right now, but having an outline makes it seem really heavy and almost over-designed. For what it's worth, I turned my phone's brightness to the max and I thought it helped a bit.

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Phantoms look solid. I'd add some purple to their caps, maybe on the brim.

This actually looks really good, very similar to the Rockies. It makes the hat have a late 90s vibe, though, I'm not too sure how much I like that.

I don't mean to be overly defensive of my work, as I realize I probably have been lately. I do think that these would look much better on the field than on your screen, and I'm also trying to keep a bit of realism in the league.

spacer.png

Archived