USBL--St. Paul Loons Posted (24/24)

dsaline97

45 minutes ago, JosiahWVU said:

Just asking', have you considered finishing the Fourth of July jerseys?

I have, and I'm not sure I want the whole league outfitted in those again. Some of them were pretty gaudy, even though I tried to keep them in team colors. At minimum, there'd at least be either an American flag on the hats and sleeves or some other special commemorative patch. Same goes for Memorial Day. I'll have to see!

spacer.png

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, dsaline97 said:

I have, and I'm not sure I want the whole league outfitted in those again. Some of them were pretty gaudy, even though I tried to keep them in team colors. At minimum, there'd at least be either an American flag on the hats and sleeves or some other special commemorative patch. Same goes for Memorial Day. I'll have to see!

If you are doing holidays this year,don't do what the MLB is doing this year for Mothers/Memorial/Fathers/Independence day

It's Me

37 minutes ago, dsaline97 said:

Ok. Can't wait for the rest.

IxkieML.png

13 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Any idea when we might see the final team?

The team is done, I just need to do the write up, however dead week and finals are fast approaching, so I'm not sure when I'll have time for that. 

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

While I work on St. Paul's team description, here are the standings as of the end of April:

QJywsgg.png

j0AS8ke.png

Here's a few notes regarding the standings at this point.

• Colorado and Iowa look to be the teams to beat in the early going, and they're the must unlikeable teams in the league as well. Look for those two to be in a battle for the National all season long.
  • Chicago was off to a quick and surprising start, but star shortstop Burke Tolle was just traded to New York in exchange for two young, hard-throwing pitchers.
  • With this deal, New York has made themselves a possible contender. They're leading the division in steals and are ranked in the top 5 in runs, homers, runs allowed, and ERA, which could prove to be a deathly combination throughout the summer.
  • Chicago, New Mexico, and Pittsburgh are all legit teams to take the American, but after that there's a pretty sizeable dropoff. California's starting pitchers have struggled and the offense has been streaky at best. Omaha can string together a few hits, but haven't able to produce much in the runs column, and the Potomacs have a pretty top-heavy lineup in the Nation's Capital.

Keep in mind, May just started, and there's a lot of baseball left to be played.

spacer.png

9 minutes ago, Spanna65 said:

That's alot of teams that miss out on Post-season.

As there should be. The postseason is an honor that shouldn't be enjoyed by mediocre teams. I personally don't see playoff expansion until the league reaches 30 teams or so, which would theoretically be a while from now. In addition, the MLB takes an equal percentage of teams to October (1/3).

spacer.png

4hzTI6F.png

The St. Paul Loons derive their nickname from the state bird of Minnesota, the great northern loon. The Twin Cities were given a franchise because the market in the midwest is ever growing, and even with the Iowa Dusters, Omaha Cyclones, and Chicago Wind Sox all relatively close by, the league felt expanding north was a necessary step to take. The team calls itself St. Paul rather than Minnesota for a couple reasons--one, because the owner, Artie Curry, hails from the Saintly City, and two, because the Minnesota Loons already existed as a hockey team in the 20th century and Curry didn’t feel comfortable bringing back the exact name of one of the state’s most beloved franchises. Twin City Stadium is a great example of a neo-classical ballpark, even though that trend seemed to have passed in the 1990s and early 2000s. The Victorian architecture blends in well with surrounding St. Paul and gives a nice old-timey feel. While left field is a bit small, the rest of the ballpark is fairly standard, not really favoring pitchers or hitters.

The Loons have adopted an identity that has a lot of traditional characteristics, like headspoon piping, underlined scripts, striped stirrups, and block numbers. It has been paired with a few modern twists like broken stripes, which are meant to represent the neck stripes of a great northern loon. The alternate white hats are designed to be worn during home day games, though that could be expanded by the club’s discretion. The style of the loons is meant to represent Native American art, as loons were highly revered animals in their culture in the past.

St. Paul is another expansion team that drafted for pitching, but even that hasn’t worked out for them in April. Jose Velazquez is the inherent ace at age 27, and he’s pitched solid, with 4-2 record and 2.81 ERA. After that, though, the Loons’ roster looks pretty thin for now. The bullpen ERA is currently a division-worst 5.56, and the offense is sitting at the last in nearly all categories. They’ll almost certainly finish in the bottom half of their division, but as we all know, pitching wins championships.

7IZbQ2k.png

v0XuS3Z.png

fvTZwVG.png

e1hiEiR.png

San Antonio Phantoms  <  St. Paul Loons

spacer.png

Just now, rsaline said:

Quackenboss? Surely that is the mascot, right?

LOL, I wish that were made up. Connor Quackenboss actually just got traded to New York, but the last name was too perfect not to have on the Loons, so I kept it.

spacer.png

Whole set looks amazing, but I do have one concern that the green and blue blend. Example, the primary logo on a green back, the only thing I saw right away was the white details.

It looks really good, though.

Gives off a very St. Paul Saints feel, and I love it! Also the team would fit in perfectly with Minnesota sports! :(

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

8 hours ago, timberwolf said:

Whole set looks amazing, but I do have one concern that the green and blue blend. Example, the primary logo on a green back, the only thing I saw right away was the white details.

It looks really good, though.

Thanks! I've looked at it on a few different monitors, and I can see where you're coming from. I intended for it to be the shade of blue the St. Paul Saints use, or close to it, and a green in between forest and kelly.

5 hours ago, KC_3.2designs said:

What font did you use for the Loons and St. Paul wordmarks?

It was from a font family called Kingsbridge.

spacer.png

Archived