ARMY

redlegs420

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This should be pretty good. Hoping for some kind of return of the kicking mule. Hopefully it has minimal tie-in to the U.S. Army star logo (which is really used for non-Academy recruiting).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I didn't realize the switch to Black Knights was such a recent change. Cadets is a way better option and probably should have never been changed. No sense in giving them a gimmicky name, even though it was sort of a nick name for the team.

Black Knights was meant to invoke the warrior spirit, or something like that. Cadets has still been used interchangeably which defeated the purpose of the first rebrand. Schools with multiple nicknames shouldn't try to force one nickname on itself.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

i dont know about the Cadets name. it's more unique in the sports world, but its not a unique military term, right? i mean the AF and Navy have cadets too?? still excited to see what they come out with. hopefully it is a new identity/uniforms and not just bringing back old stuff

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

i dont know about the Cadets name. it's more unique in the sports world, but its not a unique military term, right? i mean the AF and Navy have cadets too?? still excited to see what they come out with. hopefully it is a new identity/uniforms and not just bringing back old stuff

No navy uses midshipmen not cadets

I didn't realize the switch to Black Knights was such a recent change. Cadets is a way better option and probably should have never been changed. No sense in giving them a gimmicky name, even though it was sort of a nick name for the team.

Same here. I also like the return to the "Cadets" moniker.

gYH2mW9.png

No reason whatsoever to expect any tie to the US Army star logo, especially given that "Much of the inspiration for the [re-branding] effort came from the very famous quote by Gen. Douglas MacArthur, "Reach into the future, yet never forget the past.""

The switch to Black Knights was just a re-ordering. The long-time nickname was Cadets, and Black Knights was a long-time unofficial nickname (coined by a sportswriter in the 1940s or '50s, or maybe even earlier). When Black Knights became the official nickname, Cadets was relegated to unofficial status.

There's a few teams that are Cadets from D1 down to NAIA. Black Knights was meant to differentiate from VMI and others. I prefer the Black Knights to Cadets. USMA Alumni seem to prefer that as well.

But VMI are technially the Keydets. I know that's splitting hairs, but still not exactly the same.

gYH2mW9.png

I don't think he meant the sports team nicknames, I think he meant that there are cadets in the Navy and Air Force.

championship_banners_sig_by_verasthebruj

History of a Fictional Football League (1989)

Thread - Logos - Uniforms - History

I don't think he meant the sports team nicknames, I think he meant that there are cadets in the Navy and Air Force.

They aren't cadets at the Naval Academy. They really are Midshipmen. Hang around in the Annapolis long enough, and you'll most certainly hear someone talk about the "Middies" or "Mids" without any reference to sports.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

They aren't cadets at the Naval Academy. They really are Midshipmen. Hang around in the Annapolis long enough, and you'll most certainly hear someone talk about the "Middies" or "Mids" without any reference to sports.

Interesting. I didn't realize that.

EDIT: Retrospectively, I'm not sure how it didn't occur to me that midshipman could be both...

championship_banners_sig_by_verasthebruj

History of a Fictional Football League (1989)

Thread - Logos - Uniforms - History

It's not just an Annapolis thing either, in navy rotc they are called midshipmen as well

I'm not so sure that 50.1% of USMA alumni prefer "Black Knights" over "Cadets."

What other colleges/universities in the US use "Cadets"? Norwich is the only one I can think of.

"Black Knights" is too much like "Scarlet Knights" or "Golden Knights"

As for Air Force's "Falcons" setting a precedent, the powers that be at USAFA probably wanted to distance themselves from the Academy from which they sprung.

Archived