Coastal Carolina University adds Teal Turf

MR. 3G

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a bad idea. The teal looks close enough to actual turf that it might confuse some people.

Yea, I was against it at first. I think it came out really nice, and like you said it's close enough to green where it's not an eyesore.

Not a bad idea. The teal looks close enough to actual turf that it might confuse some people.

Yea, I was against it at first. I think it came out really nice, and like you said it's close enough to green where it's not an eyesore.

That's the biggest advantage here: It's not a total eyesore. It's not a gray field like Central Arkansas has or the red field that Lindenwood-Belleville has... and it's definitely not the red baseball field Northwestern Ohio did.

You would think a school who's coach that likes having "dogs" on his team that doesn't care about how they look like "cats", would just want to have green turf.

That coach, David Bennett, hasn't been employed there since 2011.

Wish the NCAA would ban alternate color turfs. Just looks bad all around. Hate the Smurf Turf of Boise St. Hate the red turf of Eastern Washington. Feel like I'm going to a 1990's color palate looking at Coastal Carolina's turf. The alternative turf look has run its course.

You would think a school who's coach that likes having "dogs" on his team that doesn't care about how they look like "cats", would just want to have green turf.

Yep, and we kind of went the unconventional route with our new coach. We hired Joe Moglia, former CEO and current Chairman of TD Ameritrade. Prior to Coastal, he was an unpaid intern with Nebraska football and the went on to become the head coach of the Omaha Nighthawks of the UFL.

He's said to be a Billionaire. Yep, no typo I said Billionaire.

He's since went on to take us to three consecutive FCS playoff appearances, and a number one ranking for the first in school history. We'll be a top five team going into this season.

Cats n' Dogs are just a memory.

Yep, and we kind of went the unconventional route with our new coach. We hired Joe Moglia, former CEO and current Chairman of TD Ameritrade. Prior to Coastal, he was an unpaid intern with Nebraska football and the went on to become the head coach of the Omaha Nighthawks of the UFL.

He's said to be a Billionaire. Yep, no typo I said Billionaire.

He's since went on to take us to three consecutive FCS playoff appearances, and a number one ranking for the first in school history. We'll be a top five team going into this season.

Cats n' Dogs are just a memory.

Yeah I was aware of the coach's background. I work out with an incoming freshman QB and he's talked about all that's going on there.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I thought the NCAA banned colored turfs. Or is that just for FBS?

That was the NFL. But I believe Boise St owns the trademark for non-green colored athletic fields, so if another school wanted a colored turf they would need permission from BSU.

JeKhnr9.png

That was the NFL. But I believe Boise St owns the trademark for non-green colored athletic fields, so if another school wanted a colored turf they would need permission from BSU.

That's bogus. How can they have a trademark for all colors when they only have a blue field? That would make no sense.

Yeah I was aware of the coach's background. I work out with an incoming freshman QB and he's talked about all that's going on there.

Thrasher? If so, really surprised a lower tier FBS program didn't take him. We're extremely excited to have him, and look for him to take the reigns after this upcoming season.

That's bogus. How can they have a trademark for all colors when they only have a blue field? That would make no sense.

From USA Today:

Understandably, Boise State is protective of its signature blue playing surface, which FieldTurf has produced since 2008. In a 2011 Q & A with the Idaho Statesman, Rachael Bickerton, the school’s director of trademark licensing and enforcement, explained that her employer has a federal trademark “for the color blue as it applies to artificial turf in a stadium.”

The trademark actually applies to any non-green field. If that sounds cynical to you, don’t worry: The school issues licenses for free, as long as schools don’t purposely model their colorful fields after Boise State’s. “In general, when it’s another color, we do approve it,”Bickerton told the Statesman in March. “If a big school wants to put an orange field in, because it’s one of our colors, I can’t necessarily say we’d say yes.”

JeKhnr9.png

Archived