2015 NHL Golf Thread

BigBubba

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which other teams will be chasing Antti Niemi? If the Sabres want to get good fast, I think they're gonna need him. I've scanned the list of upcoming UFA goalies, and there's not a lot there. I see Niemi as this year's Hiller... old team has given up on him before his time is really over. Right now, the Sabres' only NHL goalie under contract for next season is Chad Johnson; they're definitely gonna have to make a move.

Nolan's waters don't run too deep as a strategist. By his own admission, he leans hard on his assistants to do the heavy lifting while he just points and yells. He kept everyone nicely motivated during a living hell of a season, and credit to him for that, but now that that chapter is over, the Sabres need someone who knows what he's doing in games that matter. That could wind up being Dave Tippett or Todd McLellan.

And yes, the Sabres could do well to sign Niemi, but I worry about him. He looked absolutely done at times, and if he struggled at a country club like San Jose, he could be in real trouble under the gun in Buffalo. They'll get someone. How would you feel about Antti Raanta, who has been made redundant in Chicago by the emergence of Scott Darling? He could at least be your 1A like Enroth was.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On top of canning Horachek and Nonis, the Leafs also threw out eighteen scouts, including their head scouts.

Dwane Casey might want to check to make sure he wasn't fired on accident.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Nolan's waters don't run too deep as a strategist. By his own admission, he leans hard on his assistants to do the heavy lifting while he just points and yells. He kept everyone nicely motivated during a living hell of a season, and credit to him for that, but now that that chapter is over, the Sabres need someone who knows what he's doing in games that matter. That could wind up being Dave Tippett or Todd McLellan.

And yes, the Sabres could do well to sign Niemi, but I worry about him. He looked absolutely done at times, and if he struggled at a country club like San Jose, he could be in real trouble under the gun in Buffalo. They'll get someone. How would you feel about Antti Raanta, who has been made redundant in Chicago by the emergence of Scott Darling? He could at least be your 1A like Enroth was.

Is Antti Raanta on his way to being a bust, or just overshadowed by Darling? He sounds like a great idea for a backup (the other option is Chad Johnson), but I'd probably lean towards someone with some more experience. On Raanta's side, though, is that he would be cheap. I'm hoping they can swing some deals to load up on talent before they have to pay Reinhart and Eichel what they're worth.

Raanta is by no means a bust, but he is small whereas Darling is big, and does tend to get a little skittery. Id' say they're about equal in terms of results, but it's no surprise that Quenneville wants a oversized calm guy rather than an undersized spaz. If Arturs Irbe can coach the net-losing out of Raanta, he'd be a terrific addition.

Equal indeed:

kRUtlTR.jpg

Small sample sizes on each (though I believe each had a brief run as starter in Crawford's absence), but very good numbers for each. I'd also add that Chicago's once-vaunted shot suppression has been in the cellar this year due to severe attrition from Michal Rozsival and a general lack of a third pairing commensurate with prior years, so those numbers aren't ridiculously inflated by the possession system the way, say, Ray Emery's were in 2013. So it's basically a tie between Darling and Raanta, but tie goes to the big guy from the southwest suburbs with a marketable story. Coach Raanta up and you could have a nice goaltending option with cost control you won't get from Niemi.

It has been well known that Murray and Nolan did not see eye to eye and Murray said, “I don’t think it was a bad fit, I don’t think it was a great fit, we both said after it’s too bad it didn’t work out, is it chemistry, maybe it’s just chemistry, maybe it’s just two different personalities, you need chemistry on the ice and you need chemistry off the ice and who’s to blame for that, he’s not to blame for that.” Murray added, “You have to find a perfect fit to be really successful and maybe it just wasn’t a perfect fit, that doesn’t make it bad, it just wasn’t a perfect fit.”

Ted Nolan didn't get along well with Tim Murray (the GM), and it seemed like this was a foregone conclusion; it had been talked about like an open secret on local radio lately. I really wish he had been given the opportunity to coach a halfway decent team, but then again I also think this team underachieved to get to 30th place. Oh well. He can cry himself to sleep on his pile of money. Teams won't be beating down the door to interview the guy that coached the tanking Sabres, but he was out of the NHL for a bunch of years before this. I think it's a pretty attractive job for coaches, so hopefully they can land a big fish.

Who are going to be the salary cap casualties in Chicago this year? Sharp? Versteeg? Bickell? Maybe Raanta can be part of that deal.

I'd do Bickell and Raanta for a 2nd and no salary retention on our side. Does Buffalo have enough hot wives for Sharp to waive a no-trade?

Buffalo is a great job for a coach. Boatloads of talent on the roster, brand-new top-flight training facilities, and infinite resources from ownership. You just might find yourself under ten feet of snow, nbd.

Who are going to be the salary cap casualties in Chicago this year? Sharp? Versteeg? Bickell? Maybe Raanta can be part of that deal.

I'd do Bickell and Raanta for a 2nd and no salary retention on our side. Does Buffalo have enough hot wives for Sharp to waive a no-trade?

Buffalo is a great job for a coach. Boatloads of talent on the roster, brand-new top-flight training facilities, and infinite resources from ownership. You just might find yourself under ten feet of snow, nbd.

Only if you're as dumb as Pat Kaleta and live where they actually get ten feet of snow.

The Buffalo News has a list of candidates for the head coach job:

Mike Babcock

Claude Julien

Dan Bylsma

Luke Richardson

Todd McLellan

John Tortorella (!)

That got a legitimate LOL out of me.

Flyers have a 2pm press conference scheduled to discuss Berube's future. Really hoping he's outta here

Sounds like McLellan is done in SJ. Should see a "mutual parting" tomorrow

Archived