This might already be the most embarrassing logo revelation by any pro sports team in 2015

Go Red Sox!

FWIW all the vector files are correct, it's just the JPG that has this error.

Maybe one or several layers were hidden, but I don't think so. This would be the only reason that's plausible. I just think it's very sloppy execution and nobody saw it. However, it's embarrassing.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of days ago, a new primary mark for the Washington Wizards was revealed – a roundel.

You could argue it's another roundel, so it's kind of boring. Forget it!

You could criticize the weird typo, the bad kerning or the use of spikes that point in two different directions. Forget it!

Or maybe that the old logo was a lot more creative than the new one? Forget it!

Taking a closer look at this logo, made, at least me, speechless for a moment. I asked myself how something like this could happen nowadays, let alone we're talking about an NBA team.

This is the original Washington Wizards 2015 logo detail file (.png) that was released by the Wizards marketing department a couple of days ago. You will find this very logo wherever you go in the internet. I didn't photoshop the logo at all. So, see for yourself!

washington_wizards_2015_logo_disaster_zp

What typo are you talking about? That is how you spell Washington Wizards.

Typo for typography, not typo for typing error.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

I still don't see any errors here but I am an amateur on this board and have no doubt this is probably a mess to those who know how to make logos.

With that being said, my main problem with all these logo releases is that they're now becoming sporadic. The Bucks announcing new colors and logos for next year during the regular season of this year?1 The Wizards releasing a new primary logo effectively immediately? I haven't seen anything decent from either of these announcements, much less anything that just couldn't wait til the draft before next season. This whole thing is odd to me and reeks of acting on impulse.

Okay okay, i now see the small red line in the blue, but as long as the logos in real life, on shorts and stuff, don´t have it, is it really that bad of a mistake !?

It's not just the red and blue layers overlapping irregularly, but also the gray outline on the left of the logo that is overlapped by the white layer (stripe) which results in everything but a perfect, round curve.

And, yes. It is that bad of a mistake, even though this is "just" for presentational purposes to the media and fans. I have never seen something like that before, by any professional sports team. It's their new logo which they intended to proudly present to the public – and this is supposed to be the result? Sorry, but I respectfully have to disagree. It's embarrassing, absolutely superfluous because it was totally avoidable and not worthy of any marketing department of any professional sports organization.

It's not about the high probability that all that will be fixed before the logo is going to end up on merch or some such. It's about the fact that this flawed logo was released to the public in the first place. It's also a topic on another site, "Underconsideration.com".

I'll be the Captain Obvious for those who can't see the issue:

First of all, you need to click on the image to view it full-size. Inside the isolated square and circles you can see uneven line weights, and underlying color peeking out where it shouldn't be. This is more of a big deal because this is a professional sports team whose design team apparently rushed through it or overlooked easy details to fix.

bufg.png

Making a perfect circle in Illustrator is as easy as holding the "shift" key. The creator of this obviously doesn't know how to do that or place layers on top of the other without slivers and gaps, so the fact that an NBA team would hire someone who lacks those skills, is baffling. It makes me wonder if this is in fact the final draft. The uneven widths between the inner and outer gray outlines around the circle are unsightly, and this could lose those gray outlines.

At first glance, although it is another roundel, I do like the general idea with the thick horizontal stripes reinforcing the jersey stripes. It reminds me of the old Expos logo.

I have never seen something like that before, by any professional sports team. It's their new logo which they intended to proudly present to the public – and this is supposed to be the result? Sorry, but I respectfully have to disagree. It's embarrassing, absolutely superfluous because it was totally avoidable and not worthy of any marketing department of any professional sports organization.

It's not about the high probability that all that will be fixed before the logo is going to end up on merch or some such. It's about the fact that this flawed logo was released to the public in the first place. It's also a topic on another site, "Underconsideration.com".

This is bad. It's embarrassing. But this stuff has happened before. The one that immediately comes to mind given what else happened this week is the Bucks in 2006.

If you go digging here we did a whole thread on it that summer. The Bucks messed up what should have been little more than a simple recolor. And the errors were everywhere. Nothing was centered properly. Really, like 4 separate parts incorrectly aligned. Strokes wrong. Bevels missing from letters and applied differently from one letter to the next. Some of us made lists. I'm not kidding. There might have been 6 or 7 or more things wrong with it.

Horrible job. And doubly horrible given that the previous version hadn't had most or all of those errors.

I don't know who did the Wiz one but I really doubt how much care they take if it was also done internally at NBA Properties like I think the Bucks one was.

And for the Bucks they never even bothered to fix any of it that I'm aware of. I think they just rolled with an F'd up logo for 8 years or so...even after we told them. I told them.

So, yeah. It's beyond ridiculous but it does happen..

And not only does it happen, but we forget collectively speaking. The dogs bark but the caravan moves on. Hard to maintain outrage.

Like a freight train with stickum

I understand what kind of site this is and all.... But really, who cares?

Yeah, it's a small mistake, but it's easily fixable. I'd hardly call it "embarrassing" because I'm sure the average person won't care... or even notice, for that matter.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Knit picking about literally the smallest detail of a logo has to be the dumbest thing

I do have to say after being on this thread for over a year I have looked at identities of sports teams differently but my god, I don't see why you have a need to point out the fact that there's a little bit of what looks like red where there shouldn't be.

Archived