Arena League 2015 revision

MJWalker45

So looking at the Arena League this year I decided I wanted to do a uniform concept based on them going to Under Armour. But first I wanted to try out Darth's new Hyperspeed template. Here's my take on the Los Angeles Kiss. I took their flames helmet and played around with a chrome shell with flames. The flames were found after a clip art search as I've only started playing with Photoshop. C&C appreciated.

la%20kiss%20helmet%20group%201_zpswll95p

LA%20Kiss%20football%20helmet%20quarter%

LA%20Kiss%20football%20helmet%202%20-%20

la%20kiss%202015%20helmet%20back%20view_

LA%20Kiss%20football%20helmet%20front%20

And here's my original idea:

la%20kiss%20football%20helmet%20-%20Copy

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Here is a visual of your work and some pointers on working with photoshop tools to help with perspective.

Look at each red arrow to see where the flames in the front hit at various points on the helmet.

helmet%20tutorial%20on%20perspective_zps

Try using Edit /Transform/ Distort in photoshop to foreshorten the flames in front to match the 3/4 perspective.

Next try to use Edit/Transform/Perspective to create a vanishing point at the top of the helmet.

Then use Filter /Distort/ Spherize/ at 60% on normal on the flame layer. You might have to resize it afterwords but this should help bring the flames in front up a bit more. They are too low on the front and side views but right on on the 3/4 view.

3 will work for this one. It depends on the complexity of the logo. Sometimes I use more than 3 especially if a stripe is involved. I am only guessing that you used 1 layer for the pick,1 layer for front flames, and 1 layer for the back flames, right? One more thing that I saw on your front view is that the flames need to be moved to the right as well as moved up and resized smaller. Use the 3/4 view as a guide to help with the alignment on the other two views. Hope this helps.

I went to your photobucket library where your images are kept and saw that the flame logo you are using for the back of the helmet has some sort of watermark "0" with a rounded cornered rectangle around it. I would suggest cleaning that up or doing your own flame design in the back maybe something with more symmetry. Also try to create a separate layer for the buffed chrome finish and use Filter/Distort/Spherize at 60% or more to get rid of some of the hard lines on the finish in particular the back view.

I did that when i went to fix the front. I'll try to post those updates later today.

la%20kiss%202015%20helmet%20front%20view

LA%20Kiss%20football%20helmet%202_zpsslt

I feel better about the front view but still not as happy with the front as I was before. I didn't want to risk thinning the flames out too much on the top.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

la%20kiss%202015%20home%20side%20view%20

la%20kiss%202015%20home%20front%20view_z

Here's the uniform that goes with the helmet. I wanted to go with something that fit them better than what they currently wear. I went with Sprint as the primary sponsor for the league and Starbucks for Los Angeles. I couldn't think of anything that is distinctly LA at the moment.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Nice improvement, It is getting there. Glad to help. Here are a few other tricks that I like to use. Create a line of symmetry layer on the front view of the helmet to aid in proper alignment. I prefer a thin line (about 6 pixels).

LA%20Kiss%20front%20view%20tutorial_zpsy

Your front view revision needs to move to the right a bit more. Work with only 1 side of the flame logo and then once you have it the way you like ( right click on the layer and drop down to DUPLICATE LAYER) Next (Switch to the new layer and EDIT/TRANSFORM/FLIP HORIZONTAL) I apologize in advance if this sounds too rudimentary. I don't mean to talk down to you because obviously you know a great deal about photoshop. Next you need to align both layers using the symmetry line guide and then link both layers.

You might consider adding the pick to each side of the helmet.

Create two layers of the pick and place them where they need to go on the helmet. FILTER/DISTORT/SPHERIZE to get the curvature needed. You might have to play around with resizing the pick after you spherize it. You have lettering on the pick so that is why you can't do one and flip it. Still see a hard line on the metal buffed finish. Try to spherize that texture.

I will talk to you later about the side view and how to fix it. Post another revision and let me give it the eagle eye.

la%20kiss%20side%20view%202_zps0dtd0ykb.

la%20kiss%20back%20view%202_zpsbq0360bk.

I changed the flames in the back since the water marks on the previous one didn't help. I could have passed them off as records since they are owned by a rock band, but I didn't so I went with this instead. It's actually three different patterns interwoven. I also took the chrome silver layer and warped it around a little bit on the side view to give the impression of multiple light sources bouncing off it.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I need to know if you are familiar with the Liquify tool found under the filter tab in photoshop. Let me know so I can give some more pointers for the side view. Love to see picks added to both sides of front and back views. IMO the flames in the back are too busy. I would suggest staying with one layer instead of multiple ones. You have got the right idea with a more symmetrical logo in the back but if you decide to use the larger orange flames in the back you need to line them up better with the large airholes in the helmet.

I'm not familiar with liquify. And i agree about too much going on in the back. I'll strip 5hat down later on. I also took one layer to make it a helmet stripe for an alternate helmet. Once i get this cleaned up I'll put it out too.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

arizona%20rattlers%202015%20home%20playe

While I'm not fully satisfied with my first helmet I decided to roll out the first full uniform set. I started with the Arizona Rattlers home uniform. My main goal was to give each team a look that would allow you to feel like you were watching professional football, not a semi-pro league. With teams wearing only four true patterns split amongst twelve teams, it's annoying to see the two teams wear the same outfit in different colors.The striping pattern is meant to mimic a rattlesnake pattern. I went with a green jersey since I already had LA, Las Vegas and Orlando wearing black jerseys. If I decided to do an alternate uniform they would definitely be in black. I'm playing around with trying to design something on the shoes. For the Rattlers I took their sleeve pattern and wrapped it around the front of the shoe. I wanted to go the way of what Nike started to do for the NFL and top NCAA teams and take it from the gloves to the shoes. I also felt that something that would be pretty Nike is to take the main league sponsor and build their logo into the design. Sprint was picked as the main league sponsor. For the majority of the teams the Sprint logo is placed above the mesh sleeve insert to the right of the jersey. It would be screened on afterwards, similarly to how the Barclays Premier League adds their league patches.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

arizona%20rattlers%202015%20away%20playe

Since I hadn't gotten much feedback I've attached the away version of the Rattlers. It incorporates their secondary logo in full color rather than in monochrome black and white pants.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived