Colors that have gone away that really need to come back

MCM0313

For me, the archetype of this would be "normal" green. You know, something similar to the color of a Crayola crayon labeled simply "green." The Philadelphia Eagles, the New York Jets, the Oakland Athletics, and (among other schools) Michigan State University all used to wear variations of this color. Now they've all greatly darkened their shades of green, with the Eagles donning what's actually dark teal, and Sparty wearing something not too far off, while the Jets' shade of green looks almost black. Who's still wearing "normal" green? Off the top of my head, all I could think of in the Big 4+well-known colleges and universities were the Boston Celtics (primary color), Marshall University (primary color), Florida Gulf Coast University (secondary color), and the Vancouver Canucks (secondary color). Anybody else got more?

Another is a *bright* metallic gold. The Saints used to have this, as did the Colorado Buffaloes. UCLA football still wears it, but many of the others have either darkened or dulled (or both) their shades of gold, for whatever reason.

Anybody else have more examples of teams that used to (or still do) wear these colors? Any other colors that have faded from the spotlight? It definitely seems that there's more standardization of colors, especially in college---probably due to more manufacturer-sharing, although I don't know that for sure. Anyway, feel free to weigh in!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Powder Blue, it's another one of those "trendy" colors that burst onto the scene, was quickly overused, and then disappeared. It's a really nice shade of blue that could use some more love.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Purple was very overused in the 90s. Good riddance. There are still some teams wearing it, but it's back to being a good unique color for them again.

Agreed on the Kelly Green, although the Jets' green isn't "nearly black" - it's the same shade of evergreen the Packers have worn for decades.

But man, I wish the Brewers would just accept it and go back to royal blue and athletic gold full-time. It's a fantastic color combination, bright and fun, and was abandoned by every single big-league team in the 90s. What a dark, dreary decade that was.

Royal Blue; It always gets replaced by Navy Blue.

I thought about mentioning that, but I've noticed royal blue has made a little bit of a comeback in recent years (Bills would be a prime example of that, plus the Mavs changing their main road jersey from navy to royal). Really hope it makes more of one. I absolutely agree it's a shame that it has been phased out in so many cases; navy blue is boring. (Prime examples: Broncos and Patriots.)

Purple was very overused in the 90s. Good riddance. There are still some teams wearing it, but it's back to being a good unique color for them again.

Agreed on the Kelly Green, although the Jets' green isn't "nearly black" - it's the same shade of evergreen the Packers have worn for decades.

But man, I wish the Brewers would just accept it and go back to royal blue and athletic gold full-time. It's a fantastic color combination, bright and fun, and was abandoned by every single big-league team in the 90s. What a dark, dreary decade that was.

The Jets' green isn't "nearly black," no, but sometimes it can look that way. It looked better in the late '90s when they first brought it back. Was it with the Nike switch in 2012 that they darkened it significantly, or was it before that? Regardless, dark evergreen looks better with yellow and white than it does with just white.

For me, the archetype of this would be "normal" green. You know, something similar to the color of a Crayola crayon labeled simply "green." The Philadelphia Eagles, the New York Jets, the Oakland Athletics, and (among other schools) Michigan State University all used to wear variations of this color. Now they've all greatly darkened their shades of green, with the Eagles donning what's actually dark teal, and Sparty wearing something not too far off, while the Jets' shade of green looks almost black. Who's still wearing "normal" green? Off the top of my head, all I could think of in the Big 4+well-known colleges and universities were the Boston Celtics (primary color), Marshall University (primary color), Florida Gulf Coast University (secondary color), and the Vancouver Canucks (secondary color). Anybody else got more?

Another is a *bright* metallic gold. The Saints used to have this, as did the Colorado Buffaloes. UCLA football still wears it, but many of the others have either darkened or dulled (or both) their shades of gold, for whatever reason.

Anybody else have more examples of teams that used to (or still do) wear these colors? Any other colors that have faded from the spotlight? It definitely seems that there's more standardization of colors, especially in college---probably due to more manufacturer-sharing, although I don't know that for sure. Anyway, feel free to weigh in!

Marshall changed their color to a much vibrant and brighter green.

Come to think of it, they have lightened their green. Still, though, they belong on that list: they're one of the few teams to make significant use of green that's not either really dark or neonized.

The Jets' green isn't "nearly black," no, but sometimes it can look that way. It looked better in the late '90s when they first brought it back. Was it with the Nike switch in 2012 that they darkened it significantly, or was it before that? Regardless, dark evergreen looks better with yellow and white than it does with just white.

I don't believe the Jets have darkened their color since the 1990s, when they brought back the classic design.

Nike does have a small problem reproducing the color consistently across its fabrics, but they didn't change the actual color.

Not really. The majority of the 90s was extremely colorful. Teams born/rebranded in that decade consistently embraced things like red, teal, purple, and gradients. NBA teams rebranding in the heart of that decade (and there were a lot of them) adopted colorful, cartoony, in-your-face looks, and their jerseys were creative and fun. Hardly "dark and dreary."

It wasn't until the very late 90s, practically the early 2000s, that dark was really "in."

It wasn't until the very late 90s, practically the early 2000s, that dark was really "in."

I wouldn't say that. Yes, that was the period where the trend went overboard, but I think it started earlier. The move towards darker shades (especially Navy) seemed to be primarily merchandise-driven. If that was indeed the case, then the BFBS period (started by teams wanting that Raiders money) began the "dark" trend.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Setting aside DC's NFL team's burgundy, I can't think of a single major pro sports team (unless you consider the MLS as "major") that uses maroon, so...maroon. (Or garnet if you prefer.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

A lot of great choices in this thread but when used correctly teal has to be a top answer here. Especially when used correctly in a bright leaning towards blue Robins egg shad of teal like the inaugural Marlins team did as opposed to the darker aqua used by the Dolphins prior to their latest rebrand and that dark Northwest green that the Mariners use .

Archived