Colors that have gone away that really need to come back

MCM0313

I miss the supersonics green and yellow. It

Would make a good combination for a new Seattle NHL team.

the saints back in old, dark gold would be nice, with gold numbers and pants like the old days. With white numbers trimmed in gold and white pants for the alternate combo. I also miss Honolulu blue for the Lions and oiler blue.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Forthed. There can never be too much teal in pro sports.

The 90s proved otherwise. The colour really lost its uniqueness when everyone started using it.

Agreed. Teams like the Pistons had no business adopting that shade. That being said, I have to give the NHL some credit for not overdoing it. The Mighty Ducks technically used "Jade" so they get a pass. Besides the Sharks, the only team to use the colour was the Islanders. That means only one team jumped on the bandwagon throughout the 90's. That's pretty good!

the saints back in old, dark gold would be nice, with gold numbers and pants like the old days. With white numbers trimmed in gold and white pants for the alternate combo. I also miss Honolulu blue for the Lions and oiler blue.

:therock:

The Lions still use Honolulu blue. They've built their entire identity around it.

Joique_Bell_warming_up_before_a_Detroit_

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

I don't know that there is any one color I miss. But there are some color schemes. For the most part, I miss color schemes that, for whatever reason, we have decided absolutely must have black (or some other color) added.

Kelly and gray:

OK, I admit that the sleeve stripes really hurt this uniform, but keeping these colors, with no black, though some nice modernizations would have been great. They did not need black for the Cunningham era. They just needed a jersey update. And they certainly do not need the mess they have now.

Red and yellow:

Once again, a great scheme is not allowed to live on its own.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

^ As to that last one...

chiefs.jpg

Still...your point stands. And I agree about kelly and silver/gray...I don't think a single other major pro sports team has used that colorway exclusively since the Jaworski/Carmichael days.

And speaking of silver...I know most of us are beyond tired of navy's overuse in sports, but aside from the Arena Football League's Chicago Rush (which really probably doesn't count), and that short-lived navy Edmonton Oilers' alternate jersey, no pro sports team that I remember has ever excelusively used navy and silver. It's a very sharp combo when used on its own. I would say navy/white, except for the New York Yankees.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The Lions still use Honolulu blue. They've built their entire identity around it.Joique_Bell_warming_up_before_a_Detroit_

it seemed much more of a grayer, paler shade of blue prior to the most recent change...

The Lions still use Honolulu blue. They've built their entire identity around it.Joique_Bell_warming_up_before_a_Detroit_

it seemed much more of a grayer, paler shade of blue prior to the most recent change...

I don't see the difference in the shade with their old uniforms; It's still Honolulu Blue.

Royals Blue and Yellow. San Jose State uses it and I believe McNeese State uses it, not many else though.

I think you're forgetting the Golden State Warriors.

Yep, and yep to the Blues using it. I completely forgot the Blues quit putting so much red on their sweaters.

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

Royals Blue and Yellow. San Jose State uses it and I believe McNeese State uses it, not many else though.

Yep, and yep to the Blues using it. I completely forgot the Blues quit putting so much red on their sweaters.

6a22ec1372350bb64757502d070d8492.jpg

Another is a *bright* metallic gold. The Saints used to have this, as did the Colorado Buffaloes. UCLA football still wears it, but many of the others have either darkened or dulled (or both) their shades of gold, for whatever reason.

Thank God for the Vikings

1411953741000-USP-NFL-Atlanta-Falcons-at

Theirs isn't metallic, though---although those sleeve stripes do look very close to the old Colorado helmets.

I don't see the difference in the shade with their old uniforms; It's still Honolulu Blue.

I don't think it's the same color Barry Sanders wore. Close, but not quite. Side note: the uber-thin stripe on their current helmet has bugged me from day one. If you're going to have that many colors in the stripe, it should be thicker.

I don't know that there is any one color I miss. But there are some color schemes. For the most part, I miss color schemes that, for whatever reason, we have decided absolutely must have black (or some other color) added.

Kelly and gray:

pg2_g_hcarmichael1_400.jpg

OK, I admit that the sleeve stripes really hurt this uniform, but keeping these colors, with no black, though some nice modernizations would have been great. They did not need black for the Cunningham era. They just needed a jersey update. And they certainly do not need the mess they have now.

Red and yellow:

lmac9.jpg

Once again, a great scheme is not allowed to live on its own.

You sure you're not just thinking it's a great scheme because the man wearing it has a great 'stache? :hockeysmiley:

Another is a *bright* metallic gold. The Saints used to have this, as did the Colorado Buffaloes. UCLA football still wears it, but many of the others have either darkened or dulled (or both) their shades of gold, for whatever reason.

The Vikings use athletic yellow. He's speaking of metallic (Vegas) gold. And I agree. It's a shame how it's been replaced by tan in many cases by modern uniform manufacturers (and teams not telling them it's unacceptable.

As for color schemes, I'll echo royal blue and yellow, and throw in royal blue and Kelly green. Blue and green are a delicate mix because the colors are so close, but I think they can look great together when used properly. In general, I think each league should have a team wearing Kelly green.

Also, turquoise silver would be a great scheme. The original Sharks kinda used it (black included).

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Vikings use athletic yellow. He's speaking of metallic (Vegas) gold. And I agree. It's a shame how it's been replaced by tan in many cases by modern uniform manufacturers (and teams not telling them it's unacceptable.

As for color schemes, I'll echo royal blue and yellow, and throw in royal blue and Kelly green. Blue and green are a delicate mix because the colors are so close, but I think they can look great together when used properly. In general, I think each league should have a team wearing Kelly green.

Also, turquoise silver would be a great scheme. The original Sharks kinda used it (black included).

Not Vegas gold like the Penguins currently use, but brighter. Closer to yellow, I guess, but also metallic. Pre-2005 Colorado Buffaloes helmet is the best example of this I can think of. It was never super popular but has almost completely disappeared now. In general, gold-wearing teams that haven't switched to tan per se have still in recent years gone to darker and duller shades of (metallic) gold than they had before.

In the NFL, aside from the obvious Kelly Green...a real gold like this:

Saints_display_image.png?1303246742nfl_g_willis_300.jpg

No more of this trash:

Jimmy+Graham+Jacksonville+Jaguars+v+New+usp-nfl_-preseason-denver-broncos-at-san

What this guy's saying, basically.

Another example: http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4830/3501/1600/rash1.jpg

Vintage_St._Louis_Blues_CCM_Hockey_Jerse

I thought 20 years was enough to forget about these... They had three different uniforms since then and none featured any red...

I thought 20 years was enough to forget about these... They had three different uniforms since then and none featured any red...

But none of those teams featured Wayne Gretzky, Brett Hull, or were really worth remembering.

Archived