Raysox's Racetrack Restoration

raysox

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never watched a NASCAR race in my life and I never will, its just not my thing. But I reread and rearead those posts so many times, the in depth though process is amazing! I've always wanted to do this with football stadiums, but this is really good stuff! Nice work I'll be following this thread very closely

I like Nashville a lot. It's nice to see a more unique length/shape combination. The way you laid out the infield is interesting...I'm not sure if that garage is wide enough to fit a hauler and the actual garage space. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting your description.

What would be the seating capacity? Being just 1.33 miles, the stands don't look that big.

These are beautiful. I love it. As a huge nascar fan I say this is quality stuff right here

NOT REQUESTS BUT POSSIBLE SUGGESTIONS:

Riverside

Nazareth

Milwaukee Mile

ORP

At least current standards updates for a few

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

I like Nashville a lot. It's nice to see a more unique length/shape combination. The way you laid out the infield is interesting...I'm not sure if that garage is wide enough to fit a hauler and the actual garage space. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting your description.

What would be the seating capacity? Being just 1.33 miles, the stands don't look that big.

Based on what Google Earth has, it looks like he at least doubled the current capacity, which is about 50,000.

This is a great and unique little series. I honestly have no complaints. You're skills are off the charts when it comes to this sort of stuff. I would be interested in seeing some elevation views or grandstands, garages, those sorts of things. If you're up for it.

I just saw this! But my idea was to line up the haulers behind the garage, then have a garage that works sort of like a drive through car wash with entrances and exits so you wouldn't have to back out, if anything it's too big! The stands would probably fit around 70k. Kansas has a large grandstand on the front stretch but is 1.5 miles long, and that's 72k. It's hard to tell the actual number, but that's the ballpark.

I just saw this! But my idea was to line up the haulers behind the garage, then have a garage that works sort of like a drive through car wash with entrances and exits so you wouldn't have to back out, if anything it's too big! The stands would probably fit around 70k. Kansas has a large grandstand on the front stretch but is 1.5 miles long, and that's 72k. It's hard to tell the actual number, but that's the ballpark.

Gotcha, I thought I might have misunderstood the garage setup. That would be pretty nifty! And 70k is a pretty good size. There definitely seems to be room for expansion if the track were to take off.

And also, I love seeing this! I used to design tracks all the time when I was younger. Still have them and all my drawings tucked away in my old bedroom closet.

The fact that both Memphis and Nashville failed in the heart of Nascar country surprises me, but their capacities were both an issue (50,000 permanent seats at Nashville, only 35,000 at Memphis), or maybe the market is too saturated with cookie cutter tracks. Nashville was at least unique with its concrete surface and not quite 1.5-mile layout. I love the updates you've made, and keeping the road course could mean potential use by series like Tudor or World Challenge.

Tangent topic, but related. Nazareth Speedway's demise is a shocking one to me, given its history and association with the Andretti family. The fact that the grandstands and almost all structures that once stood are gone would make it an expensive and difficult track to revive, and its proximity to housing might make reopening it contentious.

I love Gateway, and I feel like St. Louis is a big enough market to establish roots in. Gateway though, needs a refresher. I feel like it needs some money pumped into the facility.

Though it's not in as bad as shape as my other tracks, I do have some ideas on how to improve. The track has similar banking to Phoenix. They also have pit road entrance and exit lanes that cut into infield grass. I say pave over it all, make the track feel like there's more room to pass. The infield road course is pretty much the same, but the run off is all asphalt. Offset the lack of grass with solar panels and stuff. Then, get rid of the gokart track on the infield and build garages to host races. I also put a model of the gateway arch going over the back stretch to make the track stand out. The crossover gate would be on hinges and close when the track is live.
With the crossover being the only way to get in, I got rid of the tunnel under the track coming out of turn 4. I made the stands a lot longer to stretch the entire pitlane, then reconstructed the stands in turn 1. Right now, the front stretch stands stop, then there's a building, then bleachers. I was looking at Phoenix and loved how their turn 1 stands are. There's luxury boxes and the stands actually turns with the track. I would love to do that, and give those fans a view of the front and turns. I put 3 separate video boards in the infield for the fans to watch. Other than that, I kept the drag racing track the same, located outside of the oval.
Gateway.png

• 7 months later...

Happy Daytona Day, everyone! Time for part 4 of the Raysox Racetrack Restoration! It's taken a while to get the motivation to finish. PPIR is a nice little track south of Denver. It's a lot like Richmond, and probably could be a great track to have leading up to a west coast swing. 

I wanted to brand it completely different. I went purple for "Purple Mountain's Majesty", and the fact that I could paint the walls purple and it'd be very different from the rest of the tracks. The track and inside course is fundamentally the same. I just wanted to redo some basics. 

So the first noticable thing is the crescent shaped stands. The front stretch and backstretch make a perfect circle, with a track sized hole taken out. The seats are purple to tie into everything. The parking and entrances let fans come from all around the track. The inside of the track is very minimal due to the space, and the amount of necessary things. The wall dividing the inner track and infield is angled, and I thought that it would be the perfect spot for a garage. There's also a small victory lane even with the start/finish line.

With lights all around, the track could host races at night, which opens it up to hosting Camping World Trucks, other western series, and a testing ground for Furniture Row Racing. Since the views would be at a low angle, I couldn't put screens in the inside. I put two video boards on either side of the backstretch stand. Campers and haulers could line the inside wall, especially since there'd be so much space.
PPIR.png

This looks great, and would make my drive on I25 a little more scenic, there's nothing around this place :P Maybe this is just a personal preference, but it seems like a pretty long detour to get on and off pit road. Do you have an estimate in capacity here? The brand looks great, I love the logo and the purple walls sound great. 

spacer.png

Archived