FlyingLamprey

Hey all. I've been browsing the forums for quite a while, but I haven't posted any concepts until now. While I do have a plan for a larger series of concepts in the works, I figured that it'd be beneficial for me to sort of get my feet wet, so to speak. With all that out of the way, allow me get to the concept itself.

The Tampa Bay Lightning are interesting case to be certain. They've had all of two identities in their short tenure in the NHL. Most people on here aren't huge fans of their current look, calling it a cross between the Maple Leafs and Red Wings. With all the negativity, I thought to myself, "Why haven't more people taken a crack at making a new Lightning identity?" I quickly found out the answer to this question - it ain't easy to do. I myself think that their current look is decent, but it could certainly be improved. However, I'm not a big fan of their past look either, so that's out of the question as well. So, what I did was a pseudo-combination of the two identities with some extra touches here and there.

zxK5XPV.png

What's in from the old set? Mostly the colors. Hawaiian blue is back, and black is too - well, somewhat. I substituted the black with a very dark navy color (I haven't thought of a "name" for it yet but I'll look further into it). What's in from the new look? The shape of the crest mostly. I originally tried to make something that was a bit of a cross between the current logo and what the Canes use currently, but that didn't go over so well. So I took inspiration from the current shoulder patch and modeled it closer to that. And what's new? Plenty. For starters, a new lightning bolt takes center stage, more simplified than the other ones. I took a little inspiration from the Flash logo (this one) and the Screw Attack (see here). Also added is a new color, electric blue. This would be used as a highlight color only, as I don't think you'd want to see a team go out on the ice in that color. My thought process was that if you have a team named the Lightning, you should have a little something that pops, and electric blue looked good in my head. It's worth noting that the colors were the first thing I came up with for this concept. Beyond that, there's not much to say. I put it in a roundel and gave it colors. If anything, this is more of an independent idea than a combination of eras.

I do plan on tweaking this many more times in the following couple days (though not this weekend, as my family will be visiting), as it is still very much a work in progress. That being said, I would LOVE to get your thoughts on this. Good? Bad? Step in the right/wrong direction? Marketing name for the dark navy? Please, fire away. One thing that I do want to know is the official Pantone color for the Hawaiian blue, but I plan on contacting Colorwerx about that one sometime soon. If you know by chance, let me know and I'll adjust it. As of now, I'm not sure if I'm going to create all the bells and whistles for this yet - alternate logos, uniforms, marketing shenanigans, et al. I do have some ideas for an alternate logo that would most likely be the shoulder patch, but that's a ways down the road. Just post some C&C and I will absolutely listen to all of it and take it into consideration. Thanks for taking a look!

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

Interesting take. I think a white (or light blue?) lightning bolt would help it stand out against the darker background.

Good idea. One of the main issues I've been having with this concept is putting which colors where. I didn't want to add another color to the scheme, but I can fool around with some ideas if need be. I'll give it a shot when I can.

spacer.png

Alright, I fooled around with the colors a little more, and after a while I found something different to do for the bolt.

wdahKKZ.png

I basically did three things here. The biggest change is the use of a new light blue-grey for the bolt. I would've gone lighter, but all the light colors I tried didn't look good sitting next to the electric blue, and I'm a little hesitant to change that just yet. I also moved the bolt to the front of the roundel and put the whole thing on a grey background (NB: this grey is not part of the color scheme). If need be, I can also put the logo on a background that matches one of the current four team colors. Let me know what you guys think.

spacer.png

The Flash:

flash-logo.gif

Yeah, that was one of my inspirations in the design process. Although I can see now that with the bolt in front of it the similarities are a little too close. I may need to revisit the format altogether. Thanks for pointing that out.

spacer.png

Archived