Teams without logos representing their names

ltjets21

With the Washington Wizards completely fazing out the logo of the Wizard it makes me think of how many teams don't have actual logos of their mascot/name. Off the top of my head I can think of the Jets, Lakers, and Yankees. Any more? I find it a little weird to have a mascot and not represent it unless it is something abstract like a "Laker".

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for a logo that doesn't represent their team name, how about the Capitals. No Capitol Building and no capital letters (not counting the city name portion)

llrs2zxi127vkqgcsvfb.gif

Technically, the three stars do represent the capital city, since Washington, DC's flag consists of three stars:

Flag+of+Washington+DC.png

☦ICXC NIKA

Off the top of my head not counting alternate logos) :

Football:

Green Bay Packers*

Chicago Bears

Dallas Cowboys

New Orleans Saints

New York Jets

New York Giants*

Buffalo Bills*

Cleveland Browns*

Oakland Raiders

San Francisco 49ers

Basketball:

Oklahoma City Thunder

Brooklyn Nets

Los Angeles Clippers

Golden State Warriors

Already-mentioned Los Angeles Lakers*

Indiana Pacers

Detroit Pistons

New York Knicks*

With Baseball teams, it kind of depends on which logo you would consider their primary logo. If we are basing it off of the Mothership, I would have to say:

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Texas Rangers

Washington Nationals

Pittsburgh Pirates

San Francisco Giants*

Oakland Athletics*

San Diego Padres

Los Angeles Dodgers*

Chicago Cubs

Washington Nationals*

Hockey:

Columbus Blue Jackets*

Boston Bruins

Already-mentioned Washington Capitals

New York Rangers?

Montreal Canadiens*

The ones with asterisks I'm not too picky with. I mean, how do you make an Athletic or a Packer? What about a Giant? A simple Blue Jacket as a logo wouldn't work, but a union soldier would, so I guess there's that. Like the OP says, some are too abstract to make logos for. I mean, how do you make a Dodger? Put Daffy Duck in a spaceship with Porky swinging a bat....

...Crap, I think I gave Brandiose and idea or two.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

The ones with asterisks I'm not too picky with. I mean, how do you make an Athletic or a Packer? What about a Giant? A simple Blue Jacket as a logo wouldn't work, but a union soldier would, so I guess there's that. Like the OP says, some are too abstract to make logos for. I mean, how do you make a Dodger? Put Daffy Duck in a spaceship with Porky swinging a bat....

4602.gif

A lot of the teams you listed have alternate logos that represent the name like the Pirates, Cubs, Rangers, Tigers, Indians and White Sox. I think what bugs me the most is the Jets situation, there would be many good jet or plane logos they could have but they keep the boring oval without an alternate jet logo.

For the Indians, the C is their primary but they still have Wahoo on 3 of their 4 jerseys. Bruins also have the bear on the shoulders, but it's still not their primary. For Buffalo, were they just trying to avoid calling themselves the Bison or would the logo simply represent Buffalo with a buffalo and they threw in Bill to represent Buffalo Bill Cody? I know, . . that last part was a stretch.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

NBA- Warriors, Pistons, Clippers, Lakers, Knicks, Nets (I know the shield is somewhat shaped like a net, but it's a stretch), Jazz, Thunder, I'll give the Nuggets a pass because the mountain sort of alludes to gold mining).

NHL is pretty much just the Bruins, Capitals and Canadiens.

NFL- Browns, Cowboys, Packers, Giants, Jets, 49ers, Bills.

The MLB has cap logos and the other primary logos that go on stadium walls, merchandise, etc so I won't touch that.

sig.png

I agree and disagree in matter of Wizards. In fact that logo isn't shouting "Wizards" when you're looking on it for the first time, but monument + star might represent magic wand which is an attribute of wizard.

4r2eer.png

4602.gif

Ah, forgot about that one. Thanks. I do like their NY Logo, but I did find this by Frazier Davidson that I would most certainly wouldn't mind:

ny_giants.png

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

With the Washington Wizards completely fazing out the logo of the Wizard it makes me think of how many teams don't have actual logos of their mascot/name. Off the top of my head I can think of the Jets, Lakers, and Yankees. Any more? I find it a little weird to have a mascot and not represent it unless it is something abstract like a "Laker".

The Yankees' top hat is a pretty good representation of how the name was often used...upper-crust-y Northerners wear top hats, right? The Jets' underrated "futuristic" script that they used from the late 1970s through 1997 looked like a jet, sort of, and before that they actually did have a jet in their logo briefly. The Lakers had a lake-ish logo when they were in Minnesota, didn't they?

NBA- Warriors, Pistons, Clippers, Lakers, Knicks, Nets (I know the shield is somewhat shaped like a net, but it's a stretch), Jazz, Thunder, I'll give the Nuggets a pass because the mountain sort of alludes to gold mining).

NHL is pretty much just the Bruins, Capitals and Canadiens.

NFL- Browns, Cowboys, Packers, Giants, Jets, 49ers, Bills.

The MLB has cap logos and the other primary logos that go on stadium walls, merchandise, etc so I won't touch that.

Jazz I disagree with---a giant music note can definitely allude to jazz. Although the note should be mainly blue. I agree that the Jazz' current shade of blue is boring, and that they should have some purple in the color scheme, but with that name, a blue note only makes sense for their logo.

Bills I also disagree with, sort of---their logo is a picture of part of their name, just the city part rather than the mascot, which is a unique way of doing things.

From where I'm sitting, there are four teams in baseball that don't have their name represented in a logo - the A's, Dodgers, Giants and Rangers. The A's and Giants get a pass, since they're names are pretty abstract, and the Dodgers do too since I can't imagine how you turn train dodging into a logo but the Rangers have no excuse. They're basically the Texas Texans at this point.

As for a logo that doesn't represent their team name, how about the Capitals. No Capitol Building and no capital letters (not counting the city name portion)

llrs2zxi127vkqgcsvfb.gif

Though, they do have a logo that represents the name. Just not the primary.

b9hvwjslf7jzh18ej6y4.png

This applies to the Bruins too.

h3y62vqzbcu7br7bogzk.png

So that leaves Montreal as the only NHL team.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Off the top of my head not counting alternate logos) :

With Baseball teams, it kind of depends on which logo you would consider their primary logo. If we are basing it off of the Mothership, I would have to say:

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Texas Rangers

Washington Nationals

Pittsburgh Pirates

San Francisco Giants*

Oakland Athletics*

San Diego Padres

Los Angeles Dodgers*

Chicago Cubs

Washington Nationals*