Teams without logos representing their names

ltjets21

In honour of the CHL Memorial Cup starting Friday night, the Kelowna Rockets, who moved from Tacoma, who also didn't have a logo that represented the team name.

Kelowna_Rockets_L.jpg

tacoma_rockets_1991-92%5B1%5D.gif

I think you're wrong here. Let me provide you with some analysis:

1. Dragons? They fly. Rockets? They fly too. Dragons = Rockets.
  2. Dragons breathe fire. Rockets breathe fire. Dragons = Rockets.
  3. Dragons are imaginary, man-made creatures. Rockets are man-made. Dragons = Rockets!
  4. Dragons are green. Rockets are green if you use green paint. Dragons = Rockets!!!!

You just got served. Checkmate.

Tf9TG.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In honour of the CHL Memorial Cup starting Friday night, the Kelowna Rockets, who moved from Tacoma, who also didn't have a logo that represented the team name.

Kelowna_Rockets_L.jpg

It might not be a rocket, but its not a dragon either. The Kelowna Rockets logo depicts the Ogopogo, a mythical Nessie-like creature said to live in Lake Okanagan.

I think the Rockets have a fantastic identity.

An abstract bull head isn't a Texan. Granted a stereotypical Texan would make a better cowboys logo. Perhaps they could have tried to have the logo be something representing the Texas Revolution. However the last team to try that got heavy protest from Mexican interest groups and was forced to change (Dynamo were originally Houston 1836)

A bull head/Texas flag mash up is about as stereotypically Texan as you can get, design-wise.

• 2 weeks later...

Off the top of my head not counting alternate logos) :

Football:

Green Bay Packers*

Chicago Bears

Dallas Cowboys

New Orleans Saints

New York Jets

New York Giants*

Buffalo Bills*

Cleveland Browns*

Oakland Raiders

San Francisco 49ers

Basketball:

Oklahoma City Thunder

Brooklyn Nets

Los Angeles Clippers

Golden State Warriors

Already-mentioned Los Angeles Lakers*

Indiana Pacers

Detroit Pistons

New York Knicks*

With Baseball teams, it kind of depends on which logo you would consider their primary logo. If we are basing it off of the Mothership, I would have to say:

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Texas Rangers

Washington Nationals

Pittsburgh Pirates

San Francisco Giants*

Oakland Athletics*

San Diego Padres

Los Angeles Dodgers*

Chicago Cubs

Washington Nationals*

Hockey:

Columbus Blue Jackets*

Boston Bruins

Already-mentioned Washington Capitals

New York Rangers?

Montreal Canadiens*

The ones with asterisks I'm not too picky with. I mean, how do you make an Athletic or a Packer? What about a Giant? A simple Blue Jacket as a logo wouldn't work, but a union soldier would, so I guess there's that. Like the OP says, some are too abstract to make logos for. I mean, how do you make a Dodger? Put Daffy Duck in a spaceship with Porky swinging a bat....

...Crap, I think I gave Brandiose and idea or two.

Um... the Raiders pretty blatantly have their logo's namesake front and center.

raiders.jpg

And a large portion of that list have a secondary logo representing their name if not on the primary. For instance the Padres have had the Swinging Friar as a secondary logo since the mid-90's. And had him as a primary until '84.

swinging-friar-comparison1.gif

dyv01dqafhwd5p5cqaftsatrz.gif

Kelowna_Rockets_L.jpg

It might not be a rocket, but its not a dragon either. The Kelowna Rockets logo depicts the Ogopogo, a mythical Nessie-like creature said to live in Lake Okanagan.

I think the Rockets have a fantastic identity.

OOOOOOOHHHH.......I was complaining about it during the Memorial Cup game last week. That their name was the Rockets but had a Dragon all over the place. Now it makes sense.

sig.png

Off the top of my head not counting alternate logos) :

Football:

Green Bay Packers*

Chicago Bears

Dallas Cowboys

New Orleans Saints

New York Jets

New York Giants*

Buffalo Bills*

Cleveland Browns*

Oakland Raiders

San Francisco 49ers

Basketball:

Oklahoma City Thunder

Brooklyn Nets

Los Angeles Clippers

Golden State Warriors

Already-mentioned Los Angeles Lakers*

Indiana Pacers

Detroit Pistons

New York Knicks*

With Baseball teams, it kind of depends on which logo you would consider their primary logo. If we are basing it off of the Mothership, I would have to say:

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Texas Rangers

Washington Nationals

Pittsburgh Pirates

San Francisco Giants*

Oakland Athletics*

San Diego Padres

Los Angeles Dodgers*

Chicago Cubs

Washington Nationals*

Hockey:

Columbus Blue Jackets*

Boston Bruins

Already-mentioned Washington Capitals

New York Rangers?

Montreal Canadiens*

The ones with asterisks I'm not too picky with. I mean, how do you make an Athletic or a Packer? What about a Giant? A simple Blue Jacket as a logo wouldn't work, but a union soldier would, so I guess there's that. Like the OP says, some are too abstract to make logos for. I mean, how do you make a Dodger? Put Daffy Duck in a spaceship with Porky swinging a bat....

...Crap, I think I gave Brandiose and idea or two.

Um... the Raiders pretty blatantly have their logo's namesake front and center.

raiders.jpg

And a large portion of that list have a secondary logo representing their name if not on the primary. For instance the Padres have had the Swinging Friar as a secondary logo since the mid-90's. And had him as a primary until '84.

swinging-friar-comparison1.gif

dyv01dqafhwd5p5cqaftsatrz.gif

which is why I said "not counting alternate logos". I was strictly talking about primary logos. I will give the Raiders a pass, but that's stretching it just a little.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Archived