IIHF of the Ancient World - Olmecs added

JCRGraphix

Things at work have been absolutely crazy since my last promotion, and now I have almost no time for concept work. Instead of projects that have an obvious beginning and end, like an NHL rebrand, I'm going for smaller projects that I can pick up and leave off more easily for now.

So, that being said, here's a concept I've had in my head for a bit and have finally put to paper: the IIHF of the Ancient World. I'm basically selecting nations I think would be cool to work with, and designing hockey uniforms for them.

Up first is Sparta. For this design, I took inspiration from their shields they carried into battle with the letter Lambda on them for Lacedaemon, the original name of Sparta. I wanted something bold and simple to reflect the warrior spirit of the Spartans.

sparta2.pngsparta1.png

It would be cool to also have the back number of the rome jerseys in roman numerals as well

I tried it and it looked kind of rough. Numbers like 1, 5, 9, 10, etc weren't bad, but 86 and similar numbers were rough.

This is a VERY creative idea. There's so many empires you could do. Han Dynasty, Byzantine Empire, Persian Empire, Mayan Empire, Umayyad Caliphate, Aechemenid Empire, .....

The jerseys all also great. I really hope you continue with this series.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

I love the imperial Roman uniforms. My one quibble is that the double headed eagle is a Byzantine design which only began appearing in the 11th century (sourced from Wikipedia). Of course this could be solved by repurposing them for the Byzantines and replacing the Latin "Imperium Romanum" with "Βασιλεία Ῥωμαίων"

Idea how about Novgorod or Muscovy as a team?

I actually have a plan for Muscovy, but it's a little ways down my list.

Up next we have Kvenland. I did an ancestry project a while back, and like a lot of people of European ancestry, I traced my lineage back to Fornjotr, the giant-king of Kvenland. Apparently, most Northern European nobility can do the same. The Kvens were the ancestors of the Vikings and conquered the northern part of Scandinavia. There is little to no historical record before King Fornjotr or after the Viking age, until recent times when people of Kven descent have reignited their interest in their heritage. Although the language of modern Kvens is similar to Finnish, given the location and names of the ancient Kvens, I deduced that they spoke Old Norse and would have used Elder Futhark runes as a written language. The logo is a sun flower used in Kven art and is a symbol of the Kven people.

kvenland2.png

kvenland1.png

Archived