Unused Logos and Uniforms

I am back and forth on the Raptors name.  It compares well to most of the other finalists.  It accomplishes being unique without being totally goofy (e.g., Wild, Magic).  But they had to recognize that Jurassic Park Mania was not going to last forever, right?  When naming a team, I think a key question is "will people always like this name?"  Long-term franchise recognition/continuity is damaged by changing names.  Teams should never change their names without relocating because they should have a name that's timeless.  

Raptors is not terrible, but I don't think it's as good as it was when Jurassic Park was all the rage.  I don't personally like it but it's not the embarrassment that "Wild" is.  So I guess, using the Siskel and Ebert rating method, I'll go "thumbs up" but not without hesitation.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Yet another Edge prototype has emerged on eBay - this time, a Red Wings proto sans hem stripe:

CwcpDRD.jpg

P4bNiyj.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DETROIT-RED-WINGS-PROTOTYPE-AUTHENTIC-HOME-REEBOK-JERSEY-SIZE-56-DAMAGED-/302245519047?hash=item465f3c9ec7:g:NDUAAOSwTM5Yv27x

Honestly not that bad. Its obviously better with the hem stripe, but its still better than a lot of jerseys out there.

I still wish Detroit would make the collar on their current homes white.

10 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Yet another Edge prototype has emerged on eBay - this time, a Red Wings proto sans hem stripe:

CwcpDRD.jpg

P4bNiyj.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DETROIT-RED-WINGS-PROTOTYPE-AUTHENTIC-HOME-REEBOK-JERSEY-SIZE-56-DAMAGED-/302245519047?hash=item465f3c9ec7:g:NDUAAOSwTM5Yv27x

Sorry for my ignorance, I don't follow hockey very closely, but is Detroit's crest always that small? It looks pretty dinky 

11 minutes ago, GeauxColonels said:

But Hank is actually a "septopus."

Are you suggesting he wouldn't be able to drive if he still had his eighth tentacle?

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

2 hours ago, pepis21 said:

What the hell reebok had with that hem stripes? I want to see Canadiens prototype, I'm pretty sure it wasn't has hem stripe too.

When Reebok originally designed the Edge system the jerseys were meant to be worn tucked in to the pants.  That's why there weren't hem stripes on any of the early prototypes.  The players, thankfully, rejected the idea since tucking the jerseys in would trap in too much heat.

This claims to be a Tampa Bay Lightning prototype from 2007...I remember seeing something similar awhile back, but I don't think it had the gray on the sleeves:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-TAMPA-BAY-LIGHTNING-REJECTED-PROTOTYPE-REEBOK-EDGE-TEAM-AUTHENTIC-JERSEY-/302244448328?hash=item465f2c4848:g:ELEAAOSwNnRYgVRv

s-l1600.jpg

On 3/7/2017 at 3:19 PM, OnWis97 said:

I am back and forth on the Raptors name.  It compares well to most of the other finalists.  It accomplishes being unique without being totally goofy (e.g., Wild, Magic).  But they had to recognize that Jurassic Park Mania was not going to last forever, right?  When naming a team, I think a key question is "will people always like this name?"  Long-term franchise recognition/continuity is damaged by changing names.  Teams should never change their names without relocating because they should have a name that's timeless.  

Raptors is not terrible, but I don't think it's as good as it was when Jurassic Park was all the rage.  I don't personally like it but it's not the embarrassment that "Wild" is.  So I guess, using the Siskel and Ebert rating method, I'll go "thumbs up" but not without hesitation.

The good thing about 'Raptors' is it can have multiple meanings if they ever wantted to stray from the Dinosaur theme. 

When the Raptors were changing their identity I wanted them to switch to Blue and White and use a Snowy Owl for the logo. Fits Toronto well, fits the Raptors name, fits them trying to brand themselves as 'Canada's team', and fits with them trying to brand themselves with Drake. I also think its a more timeless identity.

I'm still in favour of that, as the League has enough red and black teams and no blue and white ones. I'm also a fan of cities having a set of colours used across their teams, like Pittsburgh. 

Probably an unpopular opinion, but there it is.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, mmajeski06 said:

This claims to be a Tampa Bay Lightning prototype from 2007...I remember seeing something similar awhile back, but I don't think it had the gray on the sleeves:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-TAMPA-BAY-LIGHTNING-REJECTED-PROTOTYPE-REEBOK-EDGE-TEAM-AUTHENTIC-JERSEY-/302244448328?hash=item465f2c4848:g:ELEAAOSwNnRYgVRv

s-l1600.jpg

Those shoulder patches are 1000000 times better than what they have now.  The number font is pretty cool too.  

They really should update the current logo with the silver, blue, and black.  Would look pretty amazing if done right.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 3/7/2017 at 5:15 PM, Discogod said:

Here's the article I'm assuming Octodude was talking about, from the May 16 1994 Toronto Star:

n6vptl.jpg29ngkzt.jpg

And to get somewhat back on topic, here's another story about the original Raptors unis, which had a few tweaks before they hit the court (most notably, removing red accents from the letters and removing the "Toronto" from the logo:

xp4jk0.jpg

67ija1.jpg

Both of these articles came from the pinned thread about logo & uni news stories at the top of this forum, a fantastic thread to pore through if you've a spare hour or six.

"There was talk of going with the garish pinstripes that adorn the uniforms of the Orlando Magic, owners of the ugliest clothing ever seen on a hardwood court."

Jim Byers was clearly drunk or off his meds when he typed that up.

• Like 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Are you suggesting he wouldn't be able to drive if he still had his eighth tentacle?

The Amazons used to cut off one of their breasts so it wouldn't interfere with drawing back a bowstring.  Maybe that eighth tentacle just gets in the way?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Echo said:

When Reebok originally designed the Edge system the jerseys were meant to be worn tucked in to the pants.  That's why there weren't hem stripes on any of the early prototypes.  The players, thankfully, rejected the idea since tucking the jerseys in would trap in too much heat.

It's kinda funny, because now tuck in is banned.

4r2eer.png

6 hours ago, WSU151 said:

s-l1600.jpg

Those shoulder patches are 1000000 times better than what they have now.  The number font is pretty cool too.  

They really should update the current logo with the silver, blue, and black.  Would look pretty amazing if done right.

I actually prefer this prototype (featured on icethetics three years ago). I guess the Lightning were considering several different iterations when switching over to the edge. The white and blue looks much better than the gray:

0417-tbl-proto1.jpg?format=750w

0417-tbl-proto4jpg.JPG?format=750w

http://www.icethetics.co/blog/2014/4/17/alleged-prototype-lightning-jersey-offered-on-ebay

On 2017-03-10 at 0:19 AM, Lights Out said:

CwcpDRD.jpg

P4bNiyj.jpg

This shows that Toronto could've used their second Edge set since the beginning...

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

18 hours ago, WSU151 said:

"There was talk of going with the garish pinstripes that adorn the uniforms of the Orlando Magic, owners of the ugliest clothing ever seen on a hardwood court."

Jim Byers was clearly drunk or off his meds when he typed that up.

Or it could be that he simply recognised that neither the Magic set to which he alluded nor the Raptors' original uniforms were fit for adults to wear in public.

• Like 3

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png