jhans203

Unused Logos and Uniforms

Recommended Posts

twi    277
On March 5, 2017 at 1:37 AM, nash61 said:

Yes. I believe @twi actually owns one. 

I do. Don't have it with me or I would take some pics to go with the info to follow. 

 

The one I have is a blank, but clearly a team issue, given the differences between it and a 'normal' retail 2.0, which is rare anyway. I believe the team wore them numbered and everything for a casino night or similar event and those ones were auctioned. 

I don't know the timeline, but at some point they were way beyond being merely considered for use, as enough team stock exists to make up a solid 'Set 1'. Most teams use 2-3 sets of each jersey for a regular season. Whether the batch that mine came from went with the numbered ones to constitute a set or is a separate run, I'm unsure of. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Discogod    269

Here's the article I'm assuming Octodude was talking about, from the May 16 1994 Toronto Star:

 

n6vptl.jpg29ngkzt.jpg

 

And to get somewhat back on topic, here's another story about the original Raptors unis, which had a few tweaks before they hit the court (most notably, removing red accents from the letters and removing the "Toronto" from the logo:

xp4jk0.jpg

67ija1.jpg

 

Both of these articles came from the pinned thread about logo & uni news stories at the top of this forum, a fantastic thread to pore through if you've a spare hour or six.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kimball    627
6 minutes ago, Discogod said:

Here's the article I'm assuming Octodude was talking about, from the May 16 1994 Toronto Star:

 

n6vptl.jpg29ngkzt.jpg

 

And to get somewhat back on topic, here's another story about the original Raptors unis, which had a few tweaks before they hit the court (most notably, removing red accents from the letters and removing the "Toronto" from the logo:

xp4jk0.jpg

67ija1.jpg

 

Both of these articles came from the pinned thread about logo & uni news stories at the top of this forum, a fantastic thread to pore through if you've a spare hour or six.

 

I do remember that 'TORONTO' on the jerseys at their unveiling. I'm going to dig for a better and colored picture of it. But, I do remember that as a kid. Great info!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OnWis97    2,309

I am back and forth on the Raptors name.  It compares well to most of the other finalists.  It accomplishes being unique without being totally goofy (e.g., Wild, Magic).  But they had to recognize that Jurassic Park Mania was not going to last forever, right?  When naming a team, I think a key question is "will people always like this name?"  Long-term franchise recognition/continuity is damaged by changing names.  Teams should never change their names without relocating because they should have a name that's timeless.  

 

Raptors is not terrible, but I don't think it's as good as it was when Jurassic Park was all the rage.  I don't personally like it but it's not the embarrassment that "Wild" is.  So I guess, using the Siskel and Ebert rating method, I'll go "thumbs up" but not without hesitation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lights Out    2,241

Yet another Edge prototype has emerged on eBay - this time, a Red Wings proto sans hem stripe:

 

CwcpDRD.jpg

 

P4bNiyj.jpg

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DETROIT-RED-WINGS-PROTOTYPE-AUTHENTIC-HOME-REEBOK-JERSEY-SIZE-56-DAMAGED-/302245519047?hash=item465f3c9ec7:g:NDUAAOSwTM5Yv27x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chromatic    395
2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Yet another Edge prototype has emerged on eBay - this time, a Red Wings proto sans hem stripe:

 

CwcpDRD.jpg

 

P4bNiyj.jpg

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DETROIT-RED-WINGS-PROTOTYPE-AUTHENTIC-HOME-REEBOK-JERSEY-SIZE-56-DAMAGED-/302245519047?hash=item465f3c9ec7:g:NDUAAOSwTM5Yv27x

Honestly not that bad. Its obviously better with the hem stripe, but its still better than a lot of jerseys out there.

 

I still wish Detroit would make the collar on their current homes white.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8BW14    290
10 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Yet another Edge prototype has emerged on eBay - this time, a Red Wings proto sans hem stripe:

 

CwcpDRD.jpg

 

P4bNiyj.jpg

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DETROIT-RED-WINGS-PROTOTYPE-AUTHENTIC-HOME-REEBOK-JERSEY-SIZE-56-DAMAGED-/302245519047?hash=item465f3c9ec7:g:NDUAAOSwTM5Yv27x

Sorry for my ignorance, I don't follow hockey very closely, but is Detroit's crest always that small? It looks pretty dinky 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lights Out    2,241

Another day, another prototype. From the looks of things, the yoke on the road sweaters from the Coyotes' last set was added late in the process.

 

sIi2JAg.jpg

 

74NvwMe.jpg

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHOENIX-COYOTES-PROTOTYPE-AUTHENTIC-AWAY-REEBOK-JERSEY-SIZE-56-DAMAGED-/112330635769?hash=item1a276d79f9:g:oroAAOSwWxNYwtKP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pepis21    305

What the hell reebok had with that hem stripes? I want to see Canadiens prototype, I'm pretty sure it wasn't has hem stripe too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
leopard88    1,029
11 minutes ago, GeauxColonels said:

But Hank is actually a "septopus."

 

 

Are you suggesting he wouldn't be able to drive if he still had his eighth tentacle?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BJ Sands    930

When they changed a couple years ago, I wish the Raptors would have gone with a cleaned-up the Vince-era uniforms. Really miss the purple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Echo    26
2 hours ago, pepis21 said:

What the hell reebok had with that hem stripes? I want to see Canadiens prototype, I'm pretty sure it wasn't has hem stripe too.

 

When Reebok originally designed the Edge system the jerseys were meant to be worn tucked in to the pants.  That's why there weren't hem stripes on any of the early prototypes.  The players, thankfully, rejected the idea since tucking the jerseys in would trap in too much heat.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chromatic    395
On 3/7/2017 at 3:19 PM, OnWis97 said:

I am back and forth on the Raptors name.  It compares well to most of the other finalists.  It accomplishes being unique without being totally goofy (e.g., Wild, Magic).  But they had to recognize that Jurassic Park Mania was not going to last forever, right?  When naming a team, I think a key question is "will people always like this name?"  Long-term franchise recognition/continuity is damaged by changing names.  Teams should never change their names without relocating because they should have a name that's timeless.  

 

Raptors is not terrible, but I don't think it's as good as it was when Jurassic Park was all the rage.  I don't personally like it but it's not the embarrassment that "Wild" is.  So I guess, using the Siskel and Ebert rating method, I'll go "thumbs up" but not without hesitation.

The good thing about 'Raptors' is it can have multiple meanings if they ever wantted to stray from the Dinosaur theme. 

 

When the Raptors were changing their identity I wanted them to switch to Blue and White and use a Snowy Owl for the logo. Fits Toronto well, fits the Raptors name, fits them trying to brand themselves as 'Canada's team', and fits with them trying to brand themselves with Drake. I also think its a more timeless identity.

 

I'm still in favour of that, as the League has enough red and black teams and no blue and white ones. I'm also a fan of cities having a set of colours used across their teams, like Pittsburgh. 

 

Probably an unpopular opinion, but there it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WSU151    2,543
30 minutes ago, mmajeski06 said:

This claims to be a Tampa Bay Lightning prototype from 2007...I remember seeing something similar awhile back, but I don't think it had the gray on the sleeves:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-TAMPA-BAY-LIGHTNING-REJECTED-PROTOTYPE-REEBOK-EDGE-TEAM-AUTHENTIC-JERSEY-/302244448328?hash=item465f2c4848:g:ELEAAOSwNnRYgVRv

 

s-l1600.jpg

 

Those shoulder patches are 1000000 times better than what they have now.  The number font is pretty cool too.  

 

They really should update the current logo with the silver, blue, and black.  Would look pretty amazing if done right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WSU151    2,543
On 3/7/2017 at 5:15 PM, Discogod said:

Here's the article I'm assuming Octodude was talking about, from the May 16 1994 Toronto Star:

 

n6vptl.jpg29ngkzt.jpg

 

And to get somewhat back on topic, here's another story about the original Raptors unis, which had a few tweaks before they hit the court (most notably, removing red accents from the letters and removing the "Toronto" from the logo:

xp4jk0.jpg

67ija1.jpg

 

Both of these articles came from the pinned thread about logo & uni news stories at the top of this forum, a fantastic thread to pore through if you've a spare hour or six.

 

"There was talk of going with the garish pinstripes that adorn the uniforms of the Orlando Magic, owners of the ugliest clothing ever seen on a hardwood court."

 

Jim Byers was clearly drunk or off his meds when he typed that up.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gothamite    6,092
4 hours ago, leopard88 said:

 

 

Are you suggesting he wouldn't be able to drive if he still had his eighth tentacle?

 

 

The Amazons used to cut off one of their breasts so it wouldn't interfere with drawing back a bowstring.  Maybe that eighth tentacle just gets in the way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pepis21    305
5 hours ago, Echo said:

 

When Reebok originally designed the Edge system the jerseys were meant to be worn tucked in to the pants.  That's why there weren't hem stripes on any of the early prototypes.  The players, thankfully, rejected the idea since tucking the jerseys in would trap in too much heat.

 

It's kinda funny, because now tuck in is banned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mmajeski06    89
6 hours ago, WSU151 said:

 

s-l1600.jpg

 

Those shoulder patches are 1000000 times better than what they have now.  The number font is pretty cool too.  

 

They really should update the current logo with the silver, blue, and black.  Would look pretty amazing if done right.

 

I actually prefer this prototype (featured on icethetics three years ago). I guess the Lightning were considering several different iterations when switching over to the edge. The white and blue looks much better than the gray:

 

0417-tbl-proto1.jpg?format=750w

0417-tbl-proto4jpg.JPG?format=750w

 

http://www.icethetics.co/blog/2014/4/17/alleged-prototype-lightning-jersey-offered-on-ebay

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now