jhans203

Unused Logos and Uniforms

882 posts in this topic

No lace up collar either. 

On 3/2/2017 at 8:01 AM, kimball said:

I'm in that same boat.

There's some golden info in "In the Hornets' Nest" chronicling the Charlotte Hornets' first season. Before being awarded a team David Stern directed George Shinn to a couple of troubled franchises including the Jazz and the Clippers among other teams. 

I remember reading rumors of the Jazz and Nuggets merging, the group that bought the Kings to move them to Sacramento almost bought the Pacers in 1982 and the Kings almost moving to Dallas or Minneapolis back in the late 70s.

I love all that 'What If' history.

OH ... and then there was the NBA Expansion team awarded to Toronto in 1975, but there wasn't a group that could come up with the franchise fee so expansion was cancelled.

I remember in 1983, there was a rumor that the Pacers would be sold and moved to Anaheim. Living at SoCal at the time, I remember the Pacers had the coin flip with the Rockets coming up that would determine the No. 1 draft pick, which would be Ralph Sampson, and thought it would be cool that Ralph Sampson might be playing for a local team. Of course, the rumor died pretty quickly and the Rockets won the coin flip, anyway.

On 6/3/2017 at 0:53 AM, jlnhlfan said:

Excuse me, Oilers. The Penguins need to have a word with you.

It could be that CCM or whoever the manufacturer was just came up with that template and used it for prototypes for several teams and only the Penguins selected it.

4 people like this

True, that's a possibility.  But it would have been stupid for CCM to do so, just as it would have been stupid for CCM to offer all teams mountain-range hem patterns. 

2 people like this

There's nothing Pittsburgh specific about that template though. That's sorta like saying that half the 80s teams copied each other because they all used the rounded yoke template and horizontal stripes. 

1 person likes this

The Penguins started using their triangle stripe design before the EDGE takeover.  And Pittsburgh itself has a history of using the triangle as icon.

3 people like this

On 02/06/2017 at 11:40 PM, Lights Out said:

I recall 1994 rumours on a jersey with "NYR" style numbers

So I would say this is very possible.

3 people like this

Check out this picture from the Fanbrandz website:

W1QpktO.jpg

http://fanbrandz.com/#/edmonton-oilers-uniforms-designs/

Apparently, in the process of designing their new Adizero uniforms, the Oilers considered some wilder striping options - including one with what looks like oil drops on both sides of the jerseys. Very cool!

2 people like this

Oh yikes, seeing those Oilers prototypes make me very grateful they went with what they did. And as a fan of the classic set, that's saying something.

2 people like this

On 4/5/2017 at 6:36 PM, zigbazah said:

This was going to be Man United's 15-16 kit, but they signed with Adidas.

300blg4.jpg

How can anybody look at this and not think "team chevrolet" GO CHEVYS

Whatever this team is, the ad completely overpowers, this is totally bush league. Once you do this any prestige and magic and dignity you had or once had is gone.

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

How can anybody look at this and not thing "team chevrolet" GO CHEVYS

Whatever this team is, the ad completely overpowers, this is totally bush league. Once you do this any prestige and magic and dignity you had or once had is gone.

Popcorn.gif

4 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

How can anybody look at this and not think "team chevrolet" GO CHEVYS

Ok you can be the team that doesn't take the close to a billion dollars to put their logo on their shirt

4 people like this

20 minutes ago, JerseyJosh said:

520_brooklyn-nets-secondary-2013.gif

786_brooklyn-nets-secondary-2013.gif

Were those official prototypes?  Where did the graphic come from?

IIRC, they were introduced apart of the original set when Nets moved to Brooklyn.

I think they could've also been the first concepts of the secondary logo before the "B" ball. 

Its listed as an alternate logo ('12-'14) on the main site. I can't recall seeing the Nets use this logo, EVER. Always thought that was strange. 

The Hamilton Bulldogs have this trademarked, but have never used it. Reminds me a bit of the BuffaSlug

imageLoader.gif

3 people like this

51 minutes ago, nash61 said:

The Hamilton Bulldogs have this trademarked, but have never used it. Reminds me a bit of the BuffaSlug

imageLoader.gif

Bullslug? Slugdog?

1 person likes this

On 7/4/2017 at 8:09 AM, JerseyJosh said:

520_brooklyn-nets-secondary-2013.gif

786_brooklyn-nets-secondary-2013.gif

Pretty much the same shield shape as the Florida Panthers' current logo.

3 hours ago, kimball said:

Bullslug? Slugdog?

Slugpug

2 people like this