Unused Logos and Uniforms

Apparently, the Cavs' road uniforms from the first LeBron era were originally going to use the team name instead of the city name and feature more navy in the striping:

mP9ZwuA.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-Cleveland-Cavaliers-LeBron-James-Unused-Prototype-Pro-Jersey-Size-52/352293121829?hash=item52064e6f25:g:zU4AAOSwErFZ0I1o

• Like 3

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

38 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Apparently, the Cavs' road uniforms from the first LeBron era were originally going to use the team name instead of the city name and feature more navy in the striping:

mP9ZwuA.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-Cleveland-Cavaliers-LeBron-James-Unused-Prototype-Pro-Jersey-Size-52/352293121829?hash=item52064e6f25:g:zU4AAOSwErFZ0I1o

OMG I always wondered why they DIDN'T use navy in the striping... But very glad they went with "Cleveland."

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, C-Squared said:

I haven't kept up on this thread to know if this was posted already, but I came across this fascinating Michael Irvin jersey this morning:

s-l500.jpg

The Northwestern Cowboys.

• Like 6
oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

Via Uni Watch, a 1990 White Sox prototype.

I dig.  I will always insist the White Sox are walking the tightrope between good and bad design; I just wish they'd fall over in one direction or the other, because the elements for each outcome are present.

• Like 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

8 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

That's not a bad look at all. It definitely would have paired better with their road uniforms than the ones they ended up going with.

I thought the same thing. But the pinstripe set has aged very well. Not sure these would have.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

I thought the same thing. But the pinstripe set has aged very well. Not sure these would have.

Yeah, I think most of the teams that adopted those elasticized color cuffs in the 1970s have since dumped them.  Except, ironically, the Yankees.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, I think most of the teams that adopted those elasticized color cuffs in the 1970s have since dumped them.  Except, ironically, the Yankees.

And the White Sox on the road... which have aged well despite a couple poor changes in the last few years (SOX logo instead of the diamond sock, single black pants stripe instead of stripes that match the jersey).

• Like 3

Huh.  I thought the White Sox changed their roads a couple years ago, when they dropped the white sox patch.  Must have been thinking about the pants stripe changes.

And I'm pretty sure their black alts still use the 70s elastic cuffs, though.  Still a relative rarity.

I just don't understand why they went to this:

1bvdawxxgtdom0kz79szkd4u24znkwf

Instead of this:

sox-celebrate.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w

There's no reason for the stripes to not match on the current roads, and the SOX logo doesn't work on the sleeve. The diamond sock is perfectly shaped for the sleeve, but is only seen on the black alts. I wish it was also on the left sleeve of the road and home, but that's a fight I won't win. It's never been on the home set, and I don't know why.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I liked the change to the pants, a single black stripe instead of the racing stripes.  They could have done that to the jersey cuffs and called it a day.

I’d have just gone with trim stripes like the Orioles. Thick, but not too thick.

bal-13-allgray-1-675x380.jpg

Most importantly, white would still be a trim color (black/white/black). Pair that with the sock diamond and the “Chicago” cursive script, and you’d be set.

Edited by SFGiants58
Proofread
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Via Uni Watch, a 1990 White Sox prototype.

I love the contrasting numbers.  This feature also looked great on the Orioles and the Marlins.

Image result for orioles 1995 bonilla  Image result for marlins 1993

The Astros' uniforms are amongst the best in baseball right now; but the one thing that could make them a bit better would be if they adopted a contrasting-colour front number.

• Like 5

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I love the contrasting numbers.  This feature also looked great on the Orioles and the Marlins.

Image result for orioles 1995 bonilla  Image result for marlins 1993

I think it looks better on the Orioles than the Marlins.  The number should be the brighter of the two.  Which it is for the Dodgers, always the textbook example of this style. 

• Like 2

I don't know that I'd say "number should be brighter" is a rule.  I think it works fine in the Marlins case, where they want to have a number, but still have most of the attention on the bright-stylized wordmark.  Having a basic black number does the job just fine.

Also...

1.  The White Sox are one of those teams that does'nt need any white trim on their road uniforms.  It's not that it's bad, it's just unnecessary.

2.  The Phillies are in the same boat as them as far as having '80s-ish styled road uniform striping:

D7K_4966_Roy_Halladay.jpg

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

41 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't know that I'd say "number should be brighter" is a rule.  I think it works fine in the Marlins case, where they want to have a number, but still have most of the attention on the bright-stylized wordmark.  Having a basic black number does the job just fine.

Also...

1.  The White Sox are one of those teams that does'nt need any white trim on their road uniforms.  It's not that it's bad, it's just unnecessary.

2.  The Phillies are in the same boat as them as far as having '80s-ish styled road uniform striping:

D7K_4966_Roy_Halladay.jpg

Yea, really 1972 striping since they seemed to want to carry over the striping from the previous uniforms, but have it around the sleeve cuff instead of the outdated racing stripes style.

13 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I liked the change to the pants, a single black stripe instead of the racing stripes.  They could have done that to the jersey cuffs and called it a day.

I don't disagree with you often, but this is one of those times.. The thick black/white racing stripes on the Sox roads were FANTASTIC and it's a travesty that they dropped them (Along with the sock patch)

• Like 7