jhans203

Unused Logos and Uniforms

Good job on both of those sets. I only have two comments/questions:

1.  That Toronto Giants identity is a mess.  Terrible logo, generic font and a color scheme that totally abandons the team's history.

2.  Are you sure the Tampa Bay wordmarks have orange in them?  Based on the wood grain surface in the background, the original pictures are in color and don't appear to include any orange. It's hard to tell exactly what the second color is, but it doesn't look like orange.

18 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

wvbV5kr.png

I dunno - I think you're right with the wordmarks, but those cap logos look off.  It looks in the screengrab as though the orange letters might have a white outline.  Or, failing that, are thicker than yours.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I dunno - I think you're right with the wordmarks, but those cap logos look off.  It looks in the screengrab as though the orange letters might have a white outline.  Or, failing that, are thicker than yours.

I was basing the letter proportions off of the 1983-93 Giants’ (and 1985-2003 Padres’) cap logos. I thought it was more in keeping with team tradition. However, you’re definitely right about the white outlines and thicker letterforms.

p8KOX9q.png

Wj8RmNQ.png

6U8JjS6.png

I think that’s much closer to the renderings from the video. Thanks!

4 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Good job on both of those sets. I only have two comments/questions:

1.  That Toronto Giants identity is a mess.  Terrible logo, generic font and a color scheme that totally abandons the team's history.

2.  Are you sure the Tampa Bay wordmarks have orange in them?  Based on the wood grain surface in the background, the original pictures are in color and don't appear to include any orange. It's hard to tell exactly what the second color is, but it doesn't look like orange.

Thanks! The Toronto Giants “proposed logo” wasn’t the only one.

I assume that both proposals, a traditional and radical rebrand, were considered. Of course, the royal/kelly one was a bit more interesting/a scarier prospect to me. I think @the admiral put it best:

...but I gotta say, that blue and green Toronto Giants logo looks exactly like what I would expect from the time and place. It looks like a diverse 30-person committee designed it to accomplish about twelve different goals, but none of them very well, and it's appropriately hideous for something which should not be. 

As for your other question, the team was most likely (like, 99.99% likely) to maintain orange in Tampa Bay. None of my research indicated a color change (Stadium for Rent, the most detailed retelling of the Tampa Bay team hunt, said nothing about a color swap when describing the prototypes), so I’d chalk up any color issues to video compression/VHS recording.

Guys on the other thread discuss about cooperalls, so I googled to search something about them and I found this:

reebok_pants_flyers_long_wc.JPG

From what I read Cooperalls was supposed to be used in 2012 Winter Classic Alumni game, but Bobby Clarke refused and other players followed him, so they all wore short pants.

Remember the pants you stopped wearing because they were a safety risk? You should wear them again now that you're old. What, I'm good at management.