1989 World Baseball Cup

raysox

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like what you've done so far. The uniforms all seem appropriate for their time period (in both templates and fonts), and you make great use out of national colors! Well done!

P.S. Seeing as how the Castro regime took over Cuba in 1959, how will this affect their participation in the tournament?

These look awesome! USA's look is superb, and I love Venezuela's maroon pinstripes. Also another question, since the U.S. is so large, would there be multiple WBCs; like Florida (Tampa and Miami), Ohio (Cleveland and Cinncinati), etc.?

That's what- She

I have felt that something about this concept series didn't feel like the 1950s to me, but I have held off on posting because I couldn't quite put my finger on it. At first I thought it was the hats--especially the Mexico and Cuba hats. I felt that they were too modern, so I looked at MLB jerseys from the '50s...and I think that it might be a bit more realistic if the scripts and hat logos could be slimmed down some, but they aren't really out of place.

Others have mentioned your fonts, but I don't think they are out of place. What I do think is out of place is your '57 tournament logo. I'm definitely not an expert on logos from the '50s, and I wouldn't be surprised if you have done much more research than I have, so please take this comment with a grain of salt. From looking at World Fair logos, Olympics logos, baseball jersey patches etc. from this time period, I think your logo is too modern. Don't get me wrong, the logo looks very good, but it doesn't fit the time period, in my opinion.

award%20sig.png

Thanks Dave, I appreciate everyone's feedback. I'll try to answer some questions!

So more often than not, I used the MLB All-Star game as inpsiration for the dating of logos.
http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/481/MLB_All-Star_Game/

I think what is throwing people off is how clean the logo looks in comparison, and that's just because I'm doing it on a computer. I went with thick black lines instead of gold and brown like the MLB used, but other than that they're pretty similar. The 1953 logo was inspired by the 1958 All-Star logo. The first 3 event logos were made last summer, and the rest were made a month ago, but I remember using the 58 logo as inspiration. I can see the cmplaint about the font, just because in context of NFL fonts it's way more modern, but I felt like it was just a good font.

As far as the uniforms, I think it's just the flat brim of the template making it seem modern. The 50s and 60s didn't have a great uniform trend, just sort of current uniforms with older scripts. In my head the 70s had pullovers, the 80s had racing stripes, the 90s had darker colors, and the 00s had BP jerseys. You'll see more individuality soon, but I just wanted to let you know that this project is far from done!

Great concepts so far particularly liking Venezuela. The only gripe I've had is that Canada did not introduce their current flag and color scheme until 1965, and used something much more Union Jack based at this point in time.

Great concepts so far particularly liking Venezuela. The only gripe I've had is that Canada did not introduce their current flag and color scheme until 1965, and used something much more Union Jack based at this point in time.

On the qualifying graphics? Yeah I knew that, but I didn't want the process of changing flags based on the dates and get something wrong, so I decided on just using the current flag. Venezuela changes in like 2006 too, and I'm sure there's more. The Canadian C logo has the old 3 maple leaf ensignia and changes in 1965 because the new flag was adopted then and the tournament would take place the month after

The pools are just me picking which teams I want to advance, then making sure there's as many runs scored as runs against. No real plan, just who I thought would win

echo PaperThin's comment.

​but to comment on the thread, I usually don't care too much for baseball but this is a different approach and I like pretty much anything you do. This is a pretty cool approach and I will be following along. I may not comment too much because I don't know too much on baseball and the old traditions but I'll be keeping my eye open on this thread.

1961.png

The third tournament was awarded to what many people considered the 3rd strongest baseball nation. The games would be split between the newly built Estadio Hiram Bithorn in San Juan, and the Estadio Francisco Montaner in Ponce. Hiram Bithorn is one of 4 stadiums that have hosted group play twice.
The qualifying was a major talking point in 1960. The year prior saw the WBC staple Cubans turn communist. Dwight D Eisenhower wrote a letter to the IBF president to ban the Cubans from competing, especially since Major League Baseball has such a voice in the IBF, and would be hosting the tournament some time in the near future. The Cubans were given an indefinite ban. Elsewhere, the Nicaraguans put together a national team in an attempt to qualify for the 1961 tournament. The North American and Latin American teams that finish last in their group would be matched up with Japan in the playoff. Japan was without a confederation, and the best option was to travel and play in a play in game.

Qualifying.png
The tournament saw the two favorites matched up in Group A. The host Puerto Rican team couldn't slow the American bats in an 8-1 win to open. The Americans went on to set the record for runs scored in group play. In Group B, Japan was the only team that finished with a different record than 1-2. Canada, Venezuela, and the Dominican Republic beat up on eachother, with the Dominican's advancing on runs scored. The Americans looked unstoppable when they beat the Dominicans 10-2 to advance to the finals, a rematch with the Puerto Ricans. The Puerto Ricans held the US to 3 runs, and hit a walk off bloop single to become the first team outside of the USA to win the World Baseball Cup.
Tournament.png
Only a few changes uniform wise. The Venezuelans would be wearing their pinstripes with the V cap logo on the chest. The Dominicans went with a weird uniform, that inspired the Seattle Pilots 8 years later. Finally, after being asked by the IBF officials, the Japanese decided to put "Japan" on the chest of their jersies. They dropped the piping and made the road uniforms a sand color.
Caps.png

Pretty great stuff here! Two things on the Puerto Rico tournament.

1) I'm finding the black lettering on the red and white stripes to be a little tough to read, especially when the logo is smaller. Maybe a white (or red) outline would help there.

2) I'm not sure what's going on with the standings in the Latin America qualifier, but you've got Venezuela in first with 1 win and 3 losses, and you've got Nicaragua coming in last at 3-1. I'm assuming this was just an error (since I'm not sure how having four games would work with four teams either).

Otherwise, everything else seems pretty up to snuff!

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Archived