1989 World Baseball Cup

raysox

Little update - I made the 36 teams in the 2013 qualifying campaign in an OOTP where each team can only consist of national team players. While working on making logos for every team I had a few good logos for teams I haven't finished, so this whole thing should get going soon. Also I need to fix the qualifying graphic.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1965.png
Mexico would host the 1965 version of the tournament. Both groups would take place in and around the capital of Mexico city. But no one was certain to make it other than the Mexican team. This version of qualifying was the first to include European teams. The IBF held European championships to judge the skill in Europe. The Dutch and Italians dominated the competitions, and Spain got a bid to join the big qualifying, despite only making it once in 2013. The Japanese, still without a regional opponent just yet, would play in the new "World" division. Just like every one imagined, they dominated the group, with the Dutch advancing to the playoffs against Canada and Colombia. Canada stopped the teams trying to make a bid to their first tournament, making the same 8 teams as 1961 moving on to Mexico.
Qualifying.png
Group A would play in Mexico City. Puerto Rico won the group. The home team rallied around great pitching to advance to their first knockout stage. The Americans had a lot of support in the much smaller stadium in Aguascalientes. They advanced to another knockout round. The biggest upset may have been a win for the Venezuelans over Japan. Many people say that this was the most competitive the tournament has ever been. Mexico couldn't stop the American bats in the semi final. The Puerto Ricans won and set up a rematch of 1961. Roberto Clemente lead Puerto Rico in a 5 run 4th inning, winning their second straight tournament over the USA.
Tournament.png
There were 4 teams that changed their looks. Canada introduced the current flag in February of 1965, and the Canadian Baseball Association made a quick change to the C logo on the uniforms. In anticipation of hosting the tournament. The infamous "Mexcellent" font used in the 1968 Olympics, and 1970 World Cup. Finally, Puerto Rico updated their uniforms slightly to match the Pirates' uniforms that Clemente wore at the time. Finally, the USA went with a vest uniform version of their previous uniforms in anticipation for a warm Mexican climate.
Caps.png

1969.png

For the first time, the WBC returned to a country for the 2nd time. With the success of the MLB, and the stadium infrastructure, the USA was bound to host another soon. The driving force behind the host cities of Houston and Dallas was the new Astrodome. Climate controlled, and modern. The Arlington stadium had been renovated from 10k to 35k in anticipation for a Major League Baseball l team to move to the Dallas area. The stadium, would host the Texas Rangers starting in 1972.
The USA got the automatic bid for the tournament. The only team added was the United Kingdom, which currently holds the record for most qualifying appearances without a single World Baseball Cup appearance. Japan dominated the World Division, which wasn't good for the game. South Korea, Chinese Taipei, and the Philippines were rumored to starting a Pacific Division for the Japanese, but the IBF said the results for the Japanese would be similar to the ones they experience in Europe. Italy and Nicaragua's attempts to qualify for their first would be thwarted by a dominant Mexico side.
Qualifying.png
The same 8 teams from Mexico 65 qualified for the 1969 tournament. With the Cubans out of the IBF, the gap between the 8th and 9th best teams was pretty wide. The hosts had Panama, Canada, and Venezuela in their group, and rinsed the competition. Despite future hall of famers Rod Carew and Ferguson Jenkins on their teams, Panama and Canada were eliminated. World Home Run champion Shadharu Oh hit 5 home runs in the group stage. His record of 6 World Baseball Cup home runs in a tournament, and 14 over his career held for almost 30 years. Japan and Puerto Rico advanced past Mexico and the Dominican in Arlington. This was Roberto Clemente's last tournament before he died in 1971. He remained the leading hitter in tournament history until 2009 when Ichiro passed his record.
The Americans matched up against rival Puerto Rico and won 3-1. Japan ousted the Venezuelans as well. In the final, the Japanese held the United States to 2 runs, but only scored 1 in the 3rd championship for the United States.
Tournament.png
No changes, but this was the last tournament before pullovers and elastic pants.
Caps.png

Great job on the World Baseball Cup concept series Raysox! Love the history of each World Cup you have spun. Only you can come up a massive plot like WBC. Crisp clean designs from the logos, to the jerseys and hats. But a huge shoutout for the amazing qualifications and finals tables with simple looking shadowed flags. A beautiful touch mate. Wish I thought of those for my own personal project. You definitely know how to take a concept and blow it out the water.

Just a quick question, how do you arch text in inkscape like what you did with Puerto Rico? I've tried to find a way but I'm just stuck.

1. Enter your text

2. Create an arched path

3. Select both, and then go Text > Put on path

You should have an arched text now. You can edit the path by adjusting the nodes, but you have to color them separately. Also, any time you move the path, the text will move too, but not vice versa.

Just a quick question, how do you arch text in inkscape like what you did with Puerto Rico? I've tried to find a way but I'm just stuck.

1. Enter your text

2. Create an arched path

3. Select both, and then go Text > Put on path

You should have an arched text now. You can edit the path by adjusting the nodes, but you have to color them separately. Also, any time you move the path, the text will move too, but not vice versa.

I apologize for being vague, but what I meant was arching the text with the text still vertical, like what he did with Puerto Rico:

PuertoRico.png

u3J7jjd.png

I break apart each letter and drag the arrow on a side I want up or down depending on my arch, really simple!

Also the gold from 1969 is in a lot of logos for the MLB all star game back then

Welp, I now feel like an idiot for not thinking that. Thank you!

u3J7jjd.png

1973.png

This was a big event for the WBC. Venezuela was the first host in South America, showing a sign of growth for the sport of baseball. Dave Concepcion was the face of Venezuelan baseball, and he did all he could to promote the event. In the 1972 qualifying, two teams were added from the last version. Cuba was once again reinstated, but by a baseball fan in Miami from Cuba. The team would be based out of Miami, and would compete in the North American division from now on. It gave MLB players a chance to play for their country of origin, and the WBC would get another team to compete, and wouldn't have to deal with upsetting any of their democratic allies. The team was weak in 1972 due to the small player pool, and wouldn't qualify for the tournament. Israel began competing in the World division, with a big amount of their players being Jewish minor leaguers. When all said and done, the same 8 teams made the tournament for the 3rd straight time.
Qualifying.png
Two teams really shocked the world in this tournament. Going into the tournament, The USA and Venezuela were considered favorites. The Venezuelans lost to Japan in the opener, but salvaged group play with 2 wins. But the Canadians went on to beat the Dominicans and Japanese to advance to the knock out round for the first time. The USA and Panama emerged as the two best teams in Group B. The Panamanians were able to beat the USA in the 3rd game of group play, thanks to a big traveling fan base. Puerto Rico had a hard time coping with the loss of Roberto Clemente, and only one the final game against Mexico.
The USA and Venezuela fought in the first round, and the Venezuelans overpowered the Americans and assured that there would be a new champion crowned. Panama played Canada and won, setting up a Concepcion vs Carew final. The hometown Venezuelans won in Caracas, earning their first and only championship.
Tournament.png
The 70s marked a new era of uniforms. Pull over shirts and stretchy pants loosened up the jerseys. Some teams carried over the previous look onto a new style, those are Canada, Mexico, and Panama. The rest almost completely rebrand. The Dominicans went to navy from the royal blue they had been wearing. Japan went with pinstripes and new logos. The Puerto Ricans wore their infamous "spoon" uniforms, complete with a tri-color cap. The USA also had tri-color caps with the uniforms they would wear the next 5 tournaments, one of the most iconic looks in WBC history. Finally, the host and champions made their uniforms more colorful and nationalistic with maroon and the flag colors.
Caps.png

Wowzers! Things are starting to get wild here in the 1970's! I really like the pinstripe look for Japan, and the Puerto Rico and Venezuela sets offer up great visuals while remain period-correct. The only complaints I have are that Canada still has a button-front placket, and that the Dominican Republic should only have a chest number or pants numbers, not both. Other than that, I like where it's going, and I can't wait to see how the series becomes less restrained as the 1970's progress (which I assume they will)!

Wowzers! Things are starting to get wild here in the 1970's! I really like the pinstripe look for Japan, and the Puerto Rico and Venezuela sets offer up great visuals while remain period-correct. The only complaints I have are that Canada still has a button-front placket, and that the Dominican Republic should only have a chest number or pants numbers, not both. Other than that, I like where it's going, and I can't wait to see how the series becomes less restrained as the 1970's progress (which I assume they will)!

Fixed both of those. Also for less restrained, just wait for the 90s.

Archived