1989 World Baseball Cup

raysox

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1989.png

The 80s rounded out with a celebration of world baseball in Canada. The games would be the first event played in the new Skydome in Toronto, the Olympic Stadium in Montreal, and BC Place in Vancouver in a baseball configuration.
The Canadians got their automatic bid, which made things easy on them. The results were very similar to the last 12 team tournament in 1985. Italy was finally able to move past the Dutch to qualify for their first tournament. The Italians got approval to get Italian-American baseball players to fill their roster prior to qualifying. The European teams were granted the same waivers, and would lead to a growth in European baseball in the 1990s. Mexico and Taiwan would advance.
Qualifying.png
The Canadians had their best shot at advancing due to the home fans, and the freezing temperatures outside. They opened the Skydome with a 3-1 win over Mexico. The top 8 would advance to the next round, and group A all tied in those rankings. It had to go to a tie breaker to decide the Dominicans would win the group. Cuba killed Group B competition, scoring 29 runs in 3 games, and leading to a 1st overall seed. Overall, scoring was up in the beginning of the steroid era, and this was relevant because the Americans put up 28. In their group, only the US and Japanese advanced due to a gap in the skills of the teams.
Italy surprised the world by leading the Cubans going into the 7th, but would go on to lose 9-8. The Canadians upset the Japanese in Montreal to go on and face the rival Americans. There was a lot of power in the Semi-Finals, as the Cubans and Americans went on to face each other in the finals. The bash-brothers faced off when McGwire and Canseco homered in the same inning. McGwire's was a Grand Slam, however, leading the Americans to their 5th title.
Tournament.png
Similar looks for everyone. Italy introduced their racing stripes, and Japan dropped their pinstripes.
Caps.png

I really enjoy this series so far and loving its growth all-around! Man, I wish I own that Dominican Republic jersey from 1985 for real (my last name and favorite number on the back).

When will '93 be up? I'm desperate for a week now! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great concept, congrats. I'd love to see a Mexico City rivalry logo like the first two ones, NY and Tokyo. México City had a great rivalry between Tigres Capitalinos and Diablos Rojos, so a themed logo would be great haha. But overall, it is an awesome thread. Great logos, great unis.

tumblr_n0sl8uxA1j1r95dfvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0sl8uxA1j1r95dfvo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0sl8uxA1j1r95dfvo3_1280.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey guys. Some of you might remember this unfinished series. It was a long concept of if high profile international baseball was started in the 50s, and by this time it would be a massive event.

I did like 10 full recaps of the fake tournaments up to 1989, then stopped. The reason? I created my highly popular soccer template and it changed my whole view on templates, and since this was on my old one, and I had so many done for 1993 onwards, it would have been a bitch to remake.

Since then I learned illustrator and realized how truly hard I made it on myself without using clipping groups on the sleeve and stuff. Anyways, I've been looking at these concepts forever and wanting to post. I believe the document with all my plans are on my old laptop which crapped out and was replaced. So I think this series is dead.

But capitalizing on the WBC trend, I'm gonna show off some stuff. I'll post my event logos, then maybe some highlights for the uniforms. They're all designed to fit that era, and was one of my favorite projects ever.

1993 - South Korea

New super power Korea brought the game back to Asia

1993.png

1997 - Florida 

This was pre-Rays hype for Tropicana Field, with games in Miami, Orlando, and Jacksonville

1997.png

2001 - Latin America

A massive 4 country bid with Panama, Nicaragua, Colombia, and Venezuela hosting in their best stadium.

2001.png

2005 - Taiwan

They had 4 stadiums new enough to host games, and would host for the first time

2005.png

2009 - Caribbean

I believe the second time these two would host. A joint bid since they don't have the 4 stadiums they'd need individually.

2009.png

2013 - California

LA, San Francisco, Anaheim, and San Diego.

2013.png

So that's where we are now! Might do 2017 with Australia or Mexico. Who knows. Here is all the logos together.

All.png

Archived