the diamonds and colours in her design are not representative of anything in particular

That's not how you justify a logo to a client...I put no thought into this logo, I just drew it.

However, the Canada150.gc.ca website offers a different take on what it describes as Cuvin’s vision for the design. It says she intended the base of the maple leaf, which is made up of four diamonds, to represent the four provinces that formed Confederation. The nine other diamonds expanding outwards, it says, were meant to represent the six other provinces and three territories.

“The repeated shape is meant to create a sense of unity and the 13 shapes forming the leaf represents our togetherness as a country,” her explanation as offered on the website says.

I call BS.

the diamonds and colours in her design are not representative of anything in particular

That's not how you justify a logo to a client...I put no thought into this logo, I just drew it.

Right. At least make something up after the fact. "I chose to incorporate diamond shapes because diamonds are a girl's best friend, and girls live in Canada."

bufg.png

I like the design of the shapes forming the maple leaf, but the colors need to make sense or at least have a reason behind them. Cutting down the number of colors and creating a sense of color symmetry would probably be better. In all, not horrendous, but really needs some more reasoning and clean-up.

Actually, what they could do is over the year, they could use different colored variants to represent the seasons. I think the logo in fall colors (burnt orange, deep red, brown, yellow) could look pretty nice, maybe even gorgeous. They could also take the same idea and apply them to the individual provinces, using a version of the logo with their provincial colors. I wish they had a nice, default primary, though.

ICXC NIKA

Right. At least make something up after the fact. "I chose to incorporate diamond shapes because diamonds are a girl's best friend, and girls live in Canada."

I disagree. After Nike press release after press release? I appreciate a description that's just "it's this way because I like how it looks."

I disagree. After Nike press release after press release? I appreciate a description that's just "it's this way because I like how it looks."

Maybe it's just my personality that I appreciate meaning instead of "it looks cool." This is most true with tattoos. Yeah, sometimes it's just because it "looks cool," but if there's a story and a deeper meaning than that, I can appreciate it that much more.

bufg.png

It makes more sense as a throwback to '67, but I still think it's bad.

The idea of a Maple Leaf formed by different coloured, geometric shapes is actually a good one. Had they bothered to look into what colour pairings actually go together, both the 67 and this one could have looked good. Instead we get a bunch of bright, garish colours haphazardly slapped together for no good reason. There's about 5 too many and none of the shades are particularly attractive in their own right. Somehow, they look worse when paired together. That coupled with a truly underwhelming font makes for an amateur looking mark.

I love mid-20th-c. Canadian geometric design. It's so not-necessarily-anglophone! The only problem with that Canada 150 update is that you lose the arrow pointing up (True North, progress). Gotta reinstate that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Maybe it's just my personality that I appreciate meaning instead of "it looks cool." This is most true with tattoos. Yeah, sometimes it's just because it "looks cool," but if there's a story and a deeper meaning than that, I can appreciate it that much more.

That's fine, to a point. At a certain point you get into "the triangles represent the horns of a warthog/the iconic jaws of Huskies Stadium" territory. A little restraint can go a long way. If there really is a special meaning behind something? Awesome. If not? Just say "hey, it looks nice, so we went with it." Don't pull an explanation out of thin air.

Each of these are about seventeen times better than that stinking turd. here are my faves:

RichardMarazzi.gifJagNagra.gifJonMutch.gifChrisChartrand.gif

(^Make the grey bit look more like the Peace Tower, cut down the colours, and we have a winner.)

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Bingo. I could see someone without a true interest in logos not caring, but I would think that anyone on these boards would agree that logos should at least have a bit of meaning beyond "because I think it looks good, that's why." We all expect a little bit of meaning whenever a new sports logo is introduced; obviously, we should expect the same for a logo created for the celebration of the 150th anniversary of a nation.

Bingo. I could see someone without a true interest in logos not caring, but I would think that anyone on these boards would agree that logos should at least have a bit of meaning beyond "because I think it looks good, that's why." We all expect a little bit of meaning whenever a new sports logo is introduced; obviously, we should expect the same for a logo created for the celebration of the 150th anniversary of a nation.

Over 10 years and 20,000 posts? Yeah, I must not have a true interest in logos. Try again dude ;)

Over 10 years and 20,000 posts? Yeah, I must not have a true interest in logos. Try again dude ;)

eric_bischoff-monday_nitro-pointing-smil

bufg.png

While I don't mind it, it's not really a keeper either.

Without the wordmark, most ppl won't have a clue. If I see that leaf logo on the side of a bus or billboard sans C150, I won't even have a response.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Archived