Show Your Mini Helmets

BucksFan5

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/23/2017 at 1:29 PM, tubby34 said:

What order are they in? Draft order? Standings finish?

18110305_10208888001065709_1061035208_o.

Draft order until Sun. then I'll put them by divisions. When wk 1 starts I'll have it by AFC, Interconference, NFC matchups. Thanksgiving and xmas weeks I'll use the 80s helmets for the matchups.

18110305_10208888001065709_1061035208_o.

It's been quite some time since I updated you guys on my collection. There have been several additions over the last couple of years.

Since I'm a movie nerd, I added this one a good while back.

sypkcm.jpg

Central Wildcats

Then I added a Broncos Authentic back in early 2016.

2mxqzvk.jpg

Then I decided to make an alternate Red Army helmet (My Fantasy Football team) to match with the original Red one found on page 2.

2dh8o6b.jpg

And then I added the jewel of my collection about a month ago:

zthc3d.jpg

2zg8do3.jpg

mmq1kl.jpg

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

Only have a few, but here they are. Half of these have gone from current to throwback. I also have a full size Packers helmet. 

BeINd3e.jpg

Not exactly a helmet, but it is a mini. GF got me this one for our first Christmas together. She also threw in a Rangers Stanley Cup Banner. Knew she was a keeper after that. B)

NvtmpMj.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few shots of some of my collection. As my username states, I'm mostly into WSU stuff. Ridell and Schutt only offer a few stock options so I have started to order individual pieces and gather my own decals. I have the all crimson and all white options in Speed, a couple empty shells (one to be a 1997 Rose Bowl edition with authentic facemask), a handful of signed minis (Michael Bennet, Marcus Trufant Seahawks # and WSU #, Drew Bledsoe, Deone Bucannon, Luke Falk) and a few full sizes auto'd (Timm Rosenbach, Mike Leach). A couple other full size shells in the works right now also.

Bledsoe has his own successful winery out here also and I got a bottle of his family estate wine with the bottle signed. Not sure I'll be drinking that bottle anytime soon!

20170501_172935_resized.jpg

20170501_172948_resized.jpg

20170501_173003_resized.jpg

20170501_173013_resized.jpg

Little update on some of my projects. This 1993 Schutt Air shell (thrift store find) now has silver metallic and gloss clear, pads sanitized and painted with white fabric paint, new chin strap hardware installed. New facemask (OPO) in the mail and decals to follow. This will be a Rueben Mayes replica circa 1984.

Gabe Marks replica Schutt Air XP nearly finished, waiting on complete decal set in the mail. Also waiting on correct chin strap.

Speed mini shell painted to match WSU Anthracite. Likely have white decal and facemask. I think for the next anthracite shell I will drill it out and order the Speed Flex conversion kit.

Lastly, a friend hooked me with this game worn Arizona helmet, Riddell Revolution size XL. Two interior stickers reference 2010 and that would fit with their uniform options at the time. I can't seem to get a player # from the inside so I can't tell exactly who used it. I think this one will go up for auction on Ebay to a fan that will appreciate it more than me.

Couple other surprises in the pipeline. stay tuned!

20170507_174309_resized.jpg

20170507_174259_resized.jpg

20170507_174439_resized.jpg

20170507_173425_resized.jpg

20170507_174502_resized.jpg

On 4/22/2017 at 5:57 PM, CougMiniHelmet said:

Coogrfan, excellent work. What do you use for the multicolor decals you created. Can you explain the process for the peach bowl decal for instance?

They look great! 

I prefer to keep it simple.

Below is a full size helmet I finished recently that has a mix of Upperdeck studios stuff and DIY (conf logo, P6 and Texas flag). 

IMG_4973.JPG

On 4/22/2017 at 6:12 PM, CougMiniHelmet said:

I'm also curious what prep you did for the masking before painting? The speed helmets have padding glued in but the straps pop out easy. to you just plug the vents and then mask the entire cavity? or rip the pads and install new foam?

The former. I wound up using a lot of tape to seal off the openings, and when I removed it some of the padding came away with the tape. I think going forward I'll just remove the front and rear bumpers, seal off the vents with masking tape (I prefer Tamiya's) and then stuff the helmet with newsprint to keep out any over spray. 

That's awesome info, thanks. I have a friend at work with a Cricut machine that is running a bunch for me now for minis, but I think I'll use this method going forward. This will allow me to create much more intricate logos and designs. 

How was your experience with Upperdeck Stuios? I ordered from them 3 weeks ago, asked 2 weeks ago where my order was, 1 week ago they replied 'thanks, shipping now' and finally put it in the mail over the weekend. Looking at the ship location I see they are 250 miles from me and it has taken 3 weeks. So I'm excited to have a different option to use going forward!

Well, since this topic has been revived, I've decided to go ahead and re-post photos of my Pocket Pro collection since I completed it last fall.

As I mentioned in my original post (and yes, I'm repeating myself), I now have a representation of every helmet worn in the NFL since 1960, including one-off preseason models and alternates. Many or even most had to be custom made. Up until last year, there had been three styles of Pocket Pros produced: two-bar, traditional, and Revolution. I tried to create each one in the style that is appropriate for the era or eras in which it was worn, somewhat arbitrarily using the two-bar model for 1960-79, the traditional model for 1980-2002, and the Revolution style for 2003 to present.  The display unit is something I made using craft boards purchased at Lowes. 

Last year Riddell introduced the "Speed" model of Pocket Pro, replacing the Revolution that had been marketed for several years.  I managed to complete the 2016 updates using Revolution shells, but I haven't decided if or when I'll start using the Speed model.  Another decision will be whether or not to buy all 32 teams' current designs in the Speed model.  

Here's a comparison of the Revolution and the Speed, for those unfamiliar:

s-l225.jpgs-l225.jpg

I'd like to have been able to display them in order by city name, but that wasn't 100% possible if I were to keep each team all on one shelf and not split them up.  When I get time, I'll to try to shift the Chargers upward, since they're now from Los Angeles rather than San Diego.

The most challenging ones to create ended up being the 1994 Eagles 75th Anniversary throwback and the yellow and baby blue 2007 Eagles throwback.  Also, I re-did the Buccaneers flags to make them the correct size.  The ones produced by Riddell had flags that were too small.

My only regret at this point is my failure to document the actual seasons each helmet was worn, as I was doing my research.  I can still go back to the Gridiron Database and do it, but I could have had it done the first time.

IMG_9797.JPG

IMG_9798.JPG

IMG_9802.JPG

IMG_9799.JPG

IMG_9803.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I will have an update on some of my projects in the next couple days. Nearing the finish line on the 84 Schutt, the Air XP is finished, just started on a Revo and I have about 6 minis in various stages of completion.

In the meantime, can anyone tell me what helmet this is? Looks like a Schutt Air XP by the ear holes but the top vents look similar to a Riddell Revolution. I can't seem to confirm what it is...

maxresdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, CougMiniHelmet said:

I will have an update on some of my projects in the next couple days. Nearing the finish line on the 84 Schutt, the Air XP is finished, just started on a Revo and I have about 6 minis in various stages of completion.

In the meantime, can anyone tell me what helmet this is? Looks like a Schutt Air XP by the ear holes but the top vents look similar to a Riddell Revolution. I can't seem to confirm what it is...

maxresdefault.jpg

Looks to me like a Rawlings Impulse. 

I think it's the same as my "White Red Army" helmet shown above. It's also the second most comfortable helmet in my collection. 

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

12 minutes ago, CougMiniHelmet said:

It sure does! Was not familiar with those. I have a spare Riddell egop mask to use, do you know if they fit with the proper hardware? Or do they use a rawlings specific?

That's an EGOP on my impulse. Standard generic clips & screws

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

Crummy pictures, but a couple I have going. Revo in silver which will be an Alex Brink 2007 Apple Cup helmet in a week or two, vintage Riddell mini with 2 bar mask and single chin strap with snaps will be a 1969 100th anniversary wsu helmet, and my anthracite work in progress against the real thing. Not sure what I'm going to do with the speed mini in silver...

20170522_191051_resized.jpg

20170522_193212_resized.jpg

Collage 2017-05-10 09_07_03.jpg

20170522_193218_resized.jpg

Finished a couple minis yesterday. Anthracite helmet with white facemask and decals. WSU announced new uniforms via twitter this Spring so that combo is set to debut this fall. I also made a silver she'll with the older script. That design was worn for decades but retired in 2010.

Collage 2017-05-23 17_32_11.jpg

Collage 2017-05-24 09_40_37.jpg

Archived