Movin' to the Sunshine: The 2015 NBA Offseason Thread

OnWis97

http://deadspin.com/report-increasingly-desperate-kings-are-trying-to-lure-1714904761

Ha ha. The Kings sign George Karl and Vlade Divac, but they both suck, so now they want Calipari to be coach and GM, but he's no fool.

Nice job Vivek. And nice job Sacramento.

By the way, this isn't sour grapes for the botched Seattle move. Hansen turned out to be not great and the Seattle GM was supposed to be Phil Jackson, and we all know how that's goink.

Nick Rocks, indeed.

In the last six months, the Kings have:

Fired HC Mike Malone

Fired interim HC Ty Corbin

Had Team Advisor Chris Mullin leave team to coach St. John's

Had GM Pete D'Alessandro resigns to take a job in DEN

Also, Karl and Larry Brown seem to be the two major NBA coaches who seem to never get along with the star/superstar player. Coincidentally, both are the two who have ties to the "team first" college coach in UNC's Dean Smith. Each has spent a career only getting along with one All-Star guy. Karl had Payton, Brown only had Reggie Miller.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if Aldridge goes to the Spurs pretty much makes them the title favorite, barring any injuries.

I wouldn't say the absolute favorite... weren't they a first round knockout last season? I never bet against Popovich, but every year since 2007 we have said that the Spurs are winding down, the window is finally closing. Is this the year its finally true?

Speaking of San Antonio, there are rumors that the Cavs and Spurs are talking trade. Brendan Haywood's expiring contract for Tiago Splitter and Patty Mills. Those are 2 important rotation guys for the Spurs. It also makes the Cavs better. It addresses a couple needs - another big man who can actually play meaningful minutes and scoring PG to back up Kyrie.

So if Aldridge goes to the Spurs pretty much makes them the title favorite, barring any injuries.

I wouldn't say the absolute favorite... weren't they a first round knockout last season? I never bet against Popovich, but every year since 2007 we have said that the Spurs are winding down, the window is finally closing. Is this the year its finally true?

Speaking of San Antonio, there are rumors that the Cavs and Spurs are talking trade. Brendan Haywood's expiring contract for Tiago Splitter and Patty Mills. Those are 2 important rotation guys for the Spurs. It also makes the Cavs better. It addresses a couple needs - another big man who can actually play meaningful minutes and scoring PG to back up Kyrie.

Doubt it.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Doubt it.

Its being reported by a few different sources/outlets. Its a combination that would suit the Cavs and make the money work for the Spurs.

Another interesting rumor is now the Cavs are being linked to Cory Joseph as well. The Cavs Front Office wants a scoring back up PG, which would be Mo Williams or Patty Mills. However, Cory Joseph shares the same agent as LeBron and Thompson, who is also LeBron's best friend.

LeBron's "people" could end up ruining the franchise for a few years... making moves they want as opposed letting the basketball people make basketball moves. Its terrifying to think LeBron and his agent Rich Paul could be forcing the Cavs to sign Tristian to big money that he doesn't deserve, and going after a PG that they don't want in their system.

What the Lakers did was far worse, assuming they really didn't disclose everything (and had they, there's no way anyone would have touched the bowling bum Bynum and set their franchise back 10 years). Either way, while it's certainly unethical, and should be punished if true, the docs that gave the physicals should be fired immediately for missing a damn fracture.

From what I recall, the Lakers had claimed that Bynum was ready to play, or close to it.

Yeah, I was gonna say, how did a fracture escape team doctors? Did they not ask the player if there's any nagging ailments or look into his injury history?

Yes, but when's the last time they had an all star big man to go with Tim Duncan? David Robinson.

As far as the window, I've said it was closing every year since 2007 only to be proven wrong. The old guys seem to be ageless wonders, and they keep re-stocking with decent talent and depth. I think adding Aldridge- and keeping Danny Green- would make them at least the team that has the best shot of knocking off the Warriors.

sig.png

DeAndre Jordan's only meeting with the Mavs and Clips atm iirc.

Like I said... Pipe dream. I'm sure if LeBron were to send a pitch to DeAndre, he would listen.

I think the Cavs have a real problem with Thompson. LeBron is actively campaigning to get Thompson the max deal - which he isn't close to deserving. The biggest issue is LeBron best friend is Thompson's agent. Its no mystery as to why LeBron is pushing for it. It is going to really hamper the Cavs. And once he gets that money, he will be untradable. No one will be willing to take Thompson back in a trade for the little amount of production he offers.

LeBron always wanted to be like Jordan. And his bad GM skills are helping him get there.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

What the Lakers did was far worse, assuming they really didn't disclose everything (and had they, there's no way anyone would have touched the bowling bum Bynum and set their franchise back 10 years). Either way, while it's certainly unethical, and should be punished if true, the docs that gave the physicals should be fired immediately for missing a damn fracture.

From what I recall, the Lakers had claimed that Bynum was ready to play, or close to it.

Yeah, I was gonna say, how did a fracture escape team doctors? Did they not ask the player if there's any nagging ailments or look into his injury history?

A month following the trade to Philadelphia, Bynum decided on his own to go to Germany for blood platelets in his knee. Prior to that all his knee operations were performed by Dr. David Altchek of NYC's Hospital for Special Surgery.

http://www.hss.edu/physicians_altchek-david.asp

Scary to think about what the Spurs could be doing right now. They signed Danny Green at an extremely team friendly contract, they have resigned Kawhi Leonard, and are the front runner to land LaMarcus Aldridge. Could this be the start of the "Spurs Big 3.2?" Is this the transition plan? Surround them with solid, affordable NBA players. Unbelievable what COULD be happening in San Antonio and the Championship caliber teams that could be taking the floor since 1999 and over the next 5-7 years.

http://deadspin.com/report-increasingly-desperate-kings-are-trying-to-lure-1714904761

Ha ha. The Kings sign George Karl and Vlade Divac, but they both suck, so now they want Calipari to be coach and GM, but he's no fool.

Nice job Vivek. And nice job Sacramento.

By the way, this isn't sour grapes for the botched Seattle move. Hansen turned out to be not great and the Seattle GM was supposed to be Phil Jackson, and we all know how that's goink.

Nick Rocks, indeed.

In the last six months, the Kings have:

Fired HC Mike Malone

Fired interim HC Ty Corbin

Had Team Advisor Chris Mullin leave team to coach St. John's

Had GM Pete D'Alessandro resigns to take a job in DEN

Also, Karl and Larry Brown seem to be the two major NBA coaches who seem to never get along with the star/superstar player. Coincidentally, both are the two who have ties to the "team first" college coach in UNC's Dean Smith. Each has spent a career only getting along with one All-Star guy. Karl had Payton, Brown only had Reggie Miller.

And now they want to add Rondo to the mix, after the bitchfit he threw in Dallas and the numerous stories that came out after he left Boston about what a dick he is.

On the Cavs front, there are a few rumors going around, despite the LeBron James and Kevin Love Free Agency.

Today, rumors surfaced that the Cavs have an interest in Chicago's Mike Dunleavy. I think this would be a great move... especially if JR Smith is looking for 3 years @ $8 million per. Another rumor is Mo Williams making his return to the Cavs to be the back up Point Guard. Once again, if all they have to do is trade Brendan Haywood's contract.

For the Cavs, I think the best possible outcome, with all things considered, including the Salary Cap and Luxury Tax, in order of importance:

1. Resign Kevin Love.
  2. Resign Iman Shumpert (Yes, this is the biggest Free Agent for the Cavs, after Kevin Love).
  3. Trade Brendan Haywood for Mo Williams.
  4. Resign JR Smith for $6-7 million... $8-10 million per year is too much. Sign Mike Dunleavy instead.
  5. Find someone who can legitimately play Small Forward so LeBron can get rests during the season (this would be accomplished by signing Mike Dunleavy in lieu of JR Smith).
  6. Sign or Trade for DeAndre Jordan for Tristian Thompson (pipe dream).
  7. Resign LeBron James - This is last, because its a foregone conclusion he will be returning.

Reports are Tristian Thompson wants $15 million per year, for 4 or 5 years. There is no way in hell I am giving him that money. In my opinion, the guy is worth about $6 million per year... $8 million at MOST. He has no post up game, he has no jump shot, he has no floor game, he can't shoot free throws... Hell the guy doesn't even know if he is a righty or lefty. He basically is a rebounder... and that's it. Sure, he got a lot of extra possessions in the playoffs, but his 3-5 offense rebounds per game isn't worth it. He was matched up against Harrisson Barnes and Draymond Green in the Finals. If he wants max money, a max player would have gone for 30-20 against Barnes and Drummong at the Power Forward. Not even close. Giving Thompson that money will go down as one of the worst, crippling contracts in NBA history.

Ideally, the Cavs would find a way to Sign and Trade Thompson for DeAndre Jordan. It is rumored that Jordan wants to do short term deals, following the precedent LeBron set last year. This could lead to him making a weird maneuver this off season with the new Salary Cap and TV revenue coming in next season. The Cavs would have an unbelievable front court with Love, Mozgov, Jordan, and Varejao (if he can ever be healthy, which I pretty much determined to never to be the case). Again, I don't see it happening, not even in my wildest dreams... but it would be an epic move.

Potential Cavs roster in 2015-2016, Starter (Reserve):

• PG - Kyrie Irving (Mo Williams)
  • SG - Iman Shumper (JR Smith/Mike Dunleavy)
  • SF - LeBron James (-----/Mike Dunleavy/Alonzo Gee)
  • PF - Kevin Love (Anderson Varejao, James Jones)
  • C - DeAndre Jordan (Timofey Mozgov)

I believe these are all extremely capable moves, EXCEPT for DeAndre Jordan.

Its really is depressing thinking about DeAndre Jordan and the Cavs backup Point Guard situation. I believe in 2010 or 2011, the Cavs were offered Eric Bledsoe and DeAndre Jordan for Anderson Varejao. Cleveland has a terrible, terrible history of NOT making good trades. Unbelievable to think about where this team would have been with Bledsoe and Jordan.

Good news: As expected, Love staying in Cleveland (5 years $110 million)

Bad news: TT nearing a deal worth $80 million

They played it perfectly: they literally walked into that meeting with Duncan, Pop, Parker, a newly-signed Leonard, RC, news that they just signed Green and the cap space to offer him that max contract. My only concern (beyond of course getting Aldridge) is that the silence on Manu's side is making me think that it's 50-50 that he's coming back.

GR30a5H.png

Tyson Chandler signs $52M / 4-year contract with the Suns, who are about to meet Aldridge and use him as a "hey, Twin Towers anyone?".

Talks have broken down between Draymond Green and the Warriors, likely because he can point out that Khris Middleton just signed a $70M contract.

Curiously, the supposed "big players" like the Lakers, Knicks, and Mavs have been quiet.

GR30a5H.png

On the Cavs front, there are a few rumors going around, despite the LeBron James and Kevin Love Free Agency.

Today, rumors surfaced that the Cavs have an interest in Chicago's Mike Dunleavy. I think this would be a great move... especially if JR Smith is looking for 3 years @ $8 million per. Another rumor is Mo Williams making his return to the Cavs to be the back up Point Guard. Once again, if all they have to do is trade Brendan Haywood's contract.

For the Cavs, I think the best possible outcome, with all things considered, including the Salary Cap and Luxury Tax, in order of importance:

1. Resign Kevin Love.
  2. Resign Iman Shumpert (Yes, this is the biggest Free Agent for the Cavs, after Kevin Love).
  3. Trade Brendan Haywood for Mo Williams.
  4. Resign JR Smith for $6-7 million... $8-10 million per year is too much. Sign Mike Dunleavy instead.
  5. Find someone who can legitimately play Small Forward so LeBron can get rests during the season (this would be accomplished by signing Mike Dunleavy in lieu of JR Smith).
  6. Sign or Trade for DeAndre Jordan for Tristian Thompson (pipe dream).
  7. Resign LeBron James - This is last, because its a foregone conclusion he will be returning.

Reports are Tristian Thompson wants $15 million per year, for 4 or 5 years. There is no way in hell I am giving him that money. In my opinion, the guy is worth about $6 million per year... $8 million at MOST. He has no post up game, he has no jump shot, he has no floor game, he can't shoot free throws... Hell the guy doesn't even know if he is a righty or lefty. He basically is a rebounder... and that's it. Sure, he got a lot of extra possessions in the playoffs, but his 3-5 offense rebounds per game isn't worth it. He was matched up against Harrisson Barnes and Draymond Green in the Finals. If he wants max money, a max player would have gone for 30-20 against Barnes and Drummong at the Power Forward. Not even close. Giving Thompson that money will go down as one of the worst, crippling contracts in NBA history.

Ideally, the Cavs would find a way to Sign and Trade Thompson for DeAndre Jordan. It is rumored that Jordan wants to do short term deals, following the precedent LeBron set last year. This could lead to him making a weird maneuver this off season with the new Salary Cap and TV revenue coming in next season. The Cavs would have an unbelievable front court with Love, Mozgov, Jordan, and Varejao (if he can ever be healthy, which I pretty much determined to never to be the case). Again, I don't see it happening, not even in my wildest dreams... but it would be an epic move.

Potential Cavs roster in 2015-2016, Starter (Reserve):

• PG - Kyrie Irving (Mo Williams)
  • SG - Iman Shumper (JR Smith/Mike Dunleavy)
  • SF - LeBron James (-----/Mike Dunleavy/Alonzo Gee)
  • PF - Kevin Love (Anderson Varejao, James Jones)
  • C - DeAndre Jordan (Timofey Mozgov)

I believe these are all extremely capable moves, EXCEPT for DeAndre Jordan.

Its really is depressing thinking about DeAndre Jordan and the Cavs backup Point Guard situation. I believe in 2010 or 2011, the Cavs were offered Eric Bledsoe and DeAndre Jordan for Anderson Varejao. Cleveland has a terrible, terrible history of NOT making good trades. Unbelievable to think about where this team would have been with Bledsoe and Jordan.

Bad news? TERRIBLE news! That contract is going to cripple the Cavs. LeBron is going to be pissed off when Thompson produces nothing game in and game out and the Cavs can't sign anyone or trade him or anything. Really going to be one of the worst moves in NBA history.

Kevin Love is the king of empty numbers. Not worth 9 figures.

Spurned lover or just someone who doesn't watch the actual games? The guy took an unbelievable cut in his touches/offense to be part of the Cavs.

Bad news? TERRIBLE news! That contract is going to cripple the Cavs. LeBron is going to be pissed off when Thompson produces nothing game in and game out and the Cavs can't sign anyone or trade him or anything. Really going to be one of the worst moves in NBA history.

I didn't even think TT was worth the $52 million he turned down last offseason. He's a great rebounder and role player, that's about it.

Archived